This is my grow cabinet any suggestions i have lots of questions

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by blckthndr75, Aug 26, 2011.

1. #1 blckthndr75, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
    image-892338480.png
    I have white walls do I need Mylar? Which lights would work and should I vent the smell outside my window I'm in an apartment on the second floor and I have roommates who can't find out please any suggestions?

2. Flat white paint is very reflective. Mylar may only show a slight difference in the end which to me wouldn't be worth it, unless you're one of the people that strive to have everything perfect and pushed to the limit.
    For lighting it depends one what you really want to do. What I recommend would be this:

Left chamber : 150w MH Right chamber: 150w HPS.

Or Left chamber: 250w MH Right chamber: 250w HPS.

Or you can use lots of CFLs or attach T5 lights on the sides of the chambers.

We need more info on what you want to do...

3. Well I figured I didn't need the Mylar any way.. But I'm not looking for perfection I just to start this grow cabinet as quick as possible now could you describe whats the difference between the lights are they to make the plants grow faster??? And I have two roommates that can't know about the cabinet.. I live on the second floor apt any suggestions???

4. The plants will grow the same speed no matter which lighting you use... If you grow indicas, expect flowering to be at least 8 weeks long, and sativas can go for 10, 11 maybe even 12 weeks. Vegging is all up to you but remember, when plants are vegging and you induce 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness using a timer, the plants can double, triple, quadruple..maybe even more depending on strain.

I'd say you can fit a 250w HID lamp on both side and hang them. Use some drills and drill/cut a square area to fit some PC fans for ventilation...2 for each side. Intake on the bottom and exhaust out the top.

5. Temp would DEFINITELY be an issue with a MH or HPS... I would look at LED's or CFL's... Also both the heat AND the smell would need to be vented from the room... Will be hard to do without people being able to hear the fan hum when they enter your room

6. If heat is not an issue, go with the 150w HPS for each. Your looking at 75-85$ for a unit. cheap effective way to grow a couple ounces

a 240w rated LED's w/3 watt diodes are going to be $275+ and you're going to want to pair it with a few CFL's 6500k, 2700k, particularly during flowering. it'll cost ya more this route but will have very low heat output, which can be manage by size/number of CFL bulbs.

7. If your room mates can't find out then you should go for 150w cfl each side, they emit a lot less heat, and ventilation might be a problem for you, because the ducting coming out of the cabinet would look very suspicious. If you ran cfls instead of hps/mh you could get away with a few PC fans on each side, which would make less noise and wouldn't be as noticeable

8. first off you need to completely seal the box. make sure there are absolutely no light leaks. this will help keep the roommates off of your ass. second is you are going to want to set up the ventilation with some sort of carbon filter/ ona gel to help maintain/eliminate the smell of flowering cannabis. 3rd by the look of your box, you have enough room to go with 150w hid systems, i would utilize this if it is financially suitable for you, as HID lamps provide more vigorous veg growth *MH* and denser fuller buds *hps*. you are aiming to keep the inside temperature of the box under 85 degrees farhenheit.

9. [quote name='"samiel"']first off you need to completely seal the box. make sure there are absolutely no light leaks. this will help keep the roommates off of your ass. second is you are going to want to set up the ventilation with some sort of carbon filter/ ona gel to help maintain/eliminate the smell of flowering cannabis. 3rd by the look of your box, you have enough room to go with 150w hid systems, i would utilize this if it is financially suitable for you, as HID lamps provide more vigorous veg growth *MH* and denser fuller buds *hps*. you are aiming to keep the inside temperature of the box under 85 degrees farhenheit.[/quote]

I personally wouldn't ever hit above 80F without extra CO2.......stay in 68F-74F..75F max.

10. Ok I have a question about exuast.. My cabinet is in front of a window and I live on the 2nd floor of an apt would venting the smell out doors from the 2nd floor with 4 to 5 plants be risky?? Would the smell of marijuana be that overwhelming??? And If some1 could give me some info on carbon filters I just don't want smell to be an issue also I'm double locking my cabinet and the room to my door my roomate loves to clean my clothes and walk in anytime she wants

11. If growing there will get you in trouble, I recommend not growing...

If your roommate goes into your room, install a lock on the door and cabinet like you mentioned. Better safe than sorry.

I would use a filter. However, if you use a filter, either make one or buy a small one.

12. Yo growing anywhere will get you in trouble if you can't help me answer my question then don't reply in my post please and thank you

13. Actually, if you're a medical marijuana patient you won't get in trouble for growing as long as you are within guidelines. This forum does not encourage breaking the law. :p

14. I made a stealth cab out of an armoire. The actual grow space is 1.5'x2'x4'...LxWxH...I got a diy 150w hps in a diy cool tube. I use a 4" inline fan with a carbon filter to suck air out of the cab, through the cool tube, and out into an ONA bucket. The fan is strong enough to build enough negative pressure that i can feel the air getting sucked in through the light proof intake. The fan is bolted to the top of the cab with a sound proof box built around it. The sound proof box is then surround by sneaker boxes and other stuff. The vent ducting and muffler is enclosed in a stack of random boxes i cut holes into and stuffed with poly-fill batting (i think thats what its called, the stuff in pillows). The ona bucket hides behind a hamper (my dirty clothes never stink...lol) There's still a slight noise if nothing else is on in the room, but I plan on getting a 10gal aquarium set up to cover it up.

Honestly i wouldn't have a grow op if i lived with people that didn't approve. I built my stealth cab just in case i have visitors come by. All my friends know i smoke, but no one knows i'm self supplied. The biggest security risk is letting other people know you are growing regardless of how good of friends they are.

15. Look y'all I didn't know that I couldn't hire ppl to do a job.. I just thought since I don't know to much about electrical ish I could have some one do it for money and honestly my brother grew bud for years with out me my dad my mom or me findin out b4 he died I just thought that if he could do it then I could to with my roomates not finding out.. But since now1 on this site can help me I will do this

16. And I have depression so this would be for medical reasons I'm going to grow bud and don't care if it kills me

17. I just told you my whole set up. I'm not an electrician, but i followed the diy stuff i found on this site and got myself set up.

If you really need to do it, there's a search function on the top of the page. Use it. If you feel like nobody want to help you, then help yourself. People looking out for you so you don't get caught and end up on some dude's menu at the state pen. You got problems, find solutions...Nobody can help you, if you don't help yourself.