This is a scam...but how?

Discussion in 'General' started by kagaos, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Ok, so I recently added my laptop to craigslist and got two replies that were using remarkably similar stories such that they had a "(insert relative)" in "(insert distant location)" who needed the laptop shipped to them.

To show you what I mean, here is the actual reply:

But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how this scam could possibly work in the scammer's benefit. I assume he was willing to pay with PayPal, as the other scammer, who sent me an email, was. So, my payment should be secured. And that's all that matters right?

So tell me, Grasscity, how does this scam work?

2. He sends you a picture of his cock, he wins, you lose

3. tell them as soon as the money is in your acct you will ship it. i dont see how thats a scam.

4. Don't say paypal. Say send me a Personal Cheque via mail. Once you cash it, send the laptop.

5. does 100$ cover the shipping and your time to send it?

6. After you've told him you've sent the laptop, he pulls the payment back through paypal because paypal is terrible.

If they don't want to meet in a busy parking lot, then just do not sell it.

7. Take the payment through paypal and put it into your checking/savings account in your bank. once it's in your bank he can't touch it.

Then send the laptop

8. Yeah fuck paypal, it's retarded. Get LibertyReserve, WebMoney, or just get money order/cash in hand.

Yeah, they can still get the money back. It will withdraw it out of your bank account without your permission, even if your account has no money in it.

9. like someone else said. paypal sucks... you will get the money on your paypal account then you send your laptop. Check back tomorrow and paypal will have suspended your account thus making it so you can't receive or send money(all due to the scammer using a stolen card or whatever.). I learned the hard way, only sell it either in person or no deal.

10. nonono, you're wrong bro. paypal can not legally take money from your bank account. your paypal account will just turn in the negative.

11. Awesome, thanks for the replies guys.
    Lordy, I didn't know PayPal was such a bitch like that!

I told them to send me a personal check...going to give it a shot anyways.

12. Paypal has taken from my friends bank accounts and my bank account before. It's fucking retarded. It will do it if you have a business/premier account, not a "normal" account.

13. It should be obvious that if they work for CNN they don't need to go on CL for a laptop common sense there...

14. It is def a scam. My brother and a few other people i know have gotten those same replys trying to sell things on craigs list. Your not going to get any personal check, but go ahead and play with the scammer, fuck with em a little bit.

15. Yeah, and then the check gets returned for non-sufficient funds and you end up responsible for it.

Bad idea.

I don't know exactly how the scam works, you'll have to do some googling on Craiglist Paypal scams to figure that out, but it is definitely a scam.

Even if you think there's no way you can be wronged here, there is. Don't do it.

I know a bunch of people have probably already ninja'd me on this so I'm going to shut up now. :p

16. Yea, cash or no deal.

A check is even sketchier than Paypal.

17. OP: This is a simple claim and cancel paypal scam.

You send the laptop, funds go to your account.
    The next day, the buying will have claimed fraudulent charges and your money will be sent back to the buyer, and he will have his money and your laptop.

It is really THAT easy, It used to be done to scam people in a few MMORPG's that I used to play.

And trust me, if a 13 year old could do it, anyone can... haha