This got my blood boiling

Discussion in 'Politics' started by marathon1, May 27, 2010.

1. ??? Where did i say that? Of course the right does TRY. But no one is on par w/ the progressives when it comes to wordplay.

2. That's all fine and good but you should probably understand that NO denomination is prejudiced against assholes. There are plenty of asshole christians, asshole muslims, asshole athiests, asshole scientologists, asshole mormons, etc. etc. etc.

But there are also a number of decent, intelligent, morally upstanding people in each of those groups.

And If you can't differentiate between the assholes and everyone else than we have a problem.

I wasn't talking about anything YOU did. I was referring to the context of the story. Putting signs up that mock religion or religious holidays just seems a bit excessive doesn't it?

3. No we don't. You're definition of morally upstanding, intelligent and decent people might not be the same as mine. These things are not universal.

Well you probably shouldn't have said YOU when replying to my post.

But right, then I'm glad we both agree that putting up religious signs to celebrate a holiday is also a mockery of the religious holiday that was previously celebrated by the assimilated faith the christians stole. Glad we came to terms.

Excessive? Absolutely not.

4. The right's manipulation of wordplay and language is what gets them elected and what keeps their news station in the top, what is it, 9 or 10 rated "news" shows in America.

Fair and Balanced is the most ingenious slogan ever. Twisted, but ingenious.

5. So is this the point the atheists were trying to make?

Because I don't get it.

6. I dunno I usually lump atheists and christians in the same boat.

7. ????

Seems you lump random things into the boat as well. I have a hard time even deciphering what your trying to say.

8. Right, so do I for the most part... but your above post makes no sense. Who's religion did the Christian's steal? The Zoroastrians?

9. The lady said in the O'Reilly interview "I'm all for people to have their rights of free speech, just don't choose December 25th to do it." Wow. Just another whack-job zealot on the TV.

10. Yes, I'm just THE biggest troll on the city right?

I don't know why I haven't been banned yet; I mean it's not like I contribute anything, correct?

I'm just a no good troll.

11. haha, don't flatter yourself.... but I guess if you want a title I'd call you the biggest "fox news flamer". Hows that sound?

I don't really think "contributions" are criteria required to be a member of GC is it? There are plenty of memebers who don't contribute anything... does that mean they should be banned?

Don't beat yourself up.... I'd say your a very good troll... :)

12. I honestly just want to dick slap Gretchen Carlson right across the face after watching this. Is she really bi***ing about having to explain to her children what atheism is? Sounds like she is just scared that her children might see past the myth that is religion and maybe make a choice for themselves to become atheist. Which obviously would be the worst thing in the world....if you work for fox news that is

13. You're certainly the cutest troll I've ever seen

[​IMG]

/troll

14. :smoke:

15. The ancient Egyptians'.

"The christian religion is a parody on the worship of the Sun, in which they put a man whom they call Christ, in the place of the Sun, and pay him the same adoration which was originally paid to the Sun"

Thomas Paine

16. i know right??
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYUD6vs0pg4]YouTube - VW See Film Differently ident: Dudeism[/ame]

17. It's too many to count. A lot of roman denominations, many many many pagan religions (think celts), mostly they were the religions that people didn't have names for or Gods they didn't really remember or agree on.

I skimmed this one on Easter:
    The pagan roots of Easter | Heather McDougall | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

The rabbit and eggs were a symbol of fertility.

For example:
    Lucifer and his story is actually based on Roman Astronomy. Lucifer was the name of Venus and especially recently if you are in the northern hemisphere you know that you could see Venus before the Sun would rise - Light Bringer and Morning Star. At the end of the day the Sun sets before Venus so it appears to be falling Heaven.

Christianity is a patchwork facade of pagan holidays warped to suit the needs of the church.

But I went in to this before. Atheists = Christians in this sense:

Christian - "I absolutely believe without proof that a God exists."
    Atheist - "I absolutely believe without proof that a God does not exist."

Neither has any proof, both are making decisions with no way to prove themselves or the other right or wrong.

18. #38 Mist425, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    I think it's safe to say that most modern religions have a lot of similarities with ancient religions, especially regarding some type of 'worship' component.

It's definitely pretty easy to find some absurd statement in any holy book, repugnant to our modern sensibilities. And of course, people can argue til they die about whether or not a God exists. And, for sure, authorities have used religion to manipulate people for forever.

Still, in my humble and non-Christian opinion, Christianity is based around some pretty intelligent, compassionate thought. Sticking to the parts where Jesus philosophizes and taking the God-stuff with a grain of salt (it is a religion) will yield good stuff. If you seriously analyze those parts, you probably won't want to start bowing down to Jesus but you'll probably think it's a pretty nice message.

[​IMG]

19. Meh, if someone is intelligent and thinks for themselves I can't see why adherence to one or the other would make that different of a person.

20. Right, just like a nursery rhyme or a fairy tale. Except their was never a Crusade over ring around the rosie.

Diggin the Buddy Christ =D