Thinning, Pruning, FIM, Topping...

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by asd3reff, May 23, 2007.

1. I don't know 100% the difference between those techniques, but seems like all of them reffers to achieve more yeld.
    Now, i want to find out what you all growers think about these operations.
    I'm in process of growing my Skunk #1 seeds ( http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/139141-my-first-grow-skunk-1-a.html ), and i'm in 18 day of flowering. I've been told by a friend to cut the little top of the plant, when the plant was in veg period, and after toping once, the plant started to develop 2 new tops from that place i've just cut the single top. After those 2 new tops maturized, i did top that 2 tops again, so i have 4 main tops/plant. What do you think? Is it better to do this? Only once/plant? I have read that some straing need this kind of tehnique for better yeld, some others, topping them dosen't mean i'll get better yeld if topped.

Please ..... react ;)

2. They are all somewhat related.
    Think of it as a timeline. Step 1 - top or fim (same thing pretty much) by cutting the new growth tip. This forces the plant to grow side branches similar to the top to compensate for loss of plant mass.
    Step 2 - Thinning/pruning is after you have topped/fim then you want to remove pretty much everything from the bottom of the plant up 6 inches or so.
    By doing these two things (well 4, but you get what I mean) you are telling the plant to focus on only top growth and dont waste time and energy on lower popcorn buds. The end result is 6 BIG colas instead of 25 little ones. And trust me, if you havent trimmed (at harvest time I mean) a huge plant or a bunch of plants then you will thank yourself for doing these steps.

Btw, not advised to cut anything after 3 weeks of flower. If you are cutting anything you need to do it ASAP and let the plant flower out without stress.

3. Hey Smokey, I've been complaining about cleaning those popcorn buds for a long time. There is a lot of debate about how many tops it is best to have. What do you think is the right amount. I'm growing two 'Blue Mystic' under a 430W light in hydro.
    I just started flowering so I've got some time to trim and a lot of tops now.

Pigailia :metal: