Thinking Without Words

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by alazaay, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Since I was a kid spacing out in elementary I've tried to stop thinking for a few seconds, with very little success. Then it dawned on me- our prehistoric ancestors didn't have language, as we know it today, so they went their entire lives without thinking "words". When a deer runs out infront of a car you don't think, "Oh no there is a deer! I guess now would be a good time to slow down.. Ready, set, brake." We just react.
    Once I realized that brain talk isn't always needed I've gotten a few moments of mental silence and it's really a great experience; especially right before bed.

2. I rarely think primary via an inner monologue.

3. yes i have pondered this same question for many moons

4. yeah i feel like im always in the moment and never think about what i say. eh whatevs

5. I found it impossible to think my self into silence. (looks fairly obvious now as to why it doesn't seem to work :) I did have sum glimpses of imagining a silent mind not via words but a process that seemed graspable but as soon as I felt I was in it the thought of acknowledging a silence brought me back to the start.

What does work for me is to focus on breathing. Im not sure why it works so effectively, maybe because the act of breathing itself is natural so its easy for the focusing in on it to faze back into the mind as it becomes trivial and doesn't rely on thought.

6. Without language we'd still think in images, pictures, memories, which is how our pre-language ancestors probably did it. Some still do that now. While most experience an inner dialogue of words, once that quiets, ideas, images, can still appear as the mind reveals itself that way instead. It's not easy to be completely still, but not impossible either.

7. hmm i do it all the time...? although I have synesthesia.
    you can think with colors and numbers to, sounds, smells, tastes. visuals. etc..

8. Exactly, and it is all still signs of thinking.

9. Pleasure - being lost the moment :smoking:

10. I was going to say something similar to this, if I can't fathom to describe my thoughts verbally or if the person still doesn't understand on what I'm trying to say, then by using pictures, art or visual related doesn't hurt if you have artistry and creativity in this field.

11. But you technically DO think about that. It's just in your subconscious and based on experience. You just don't realize it in that certain moment.

12. Sometimes I will see an image of the word itself in my head.

13. I think with feeling. :)

14. Are you a feeler type? Just wondering.

15. I'm the balanced type ;)

16. Let me try to intuit this, so you use emotions but rationalizing them at a logical standpoint? I can do this mainly with my "Fi" introverted feeling which is inside and internal than external.

17. Shouldn't life always be a balance between feeling and thinking? Is there anything truly gained simply learning to know things without being able to feel things in equal measure?

18. I agree, but it comes down to how a person is using their feelings, if it's a sense of understandment, admitting that they're wrong instead of refuting and creating ad-hominem attacks it's based on how emotional mature the person and increase of age doesn't exactly factor for a person developing mentally, they are people that are 40 and blatantly still have the characteristics of underdeveloped immature children; so yes I can see the two correlating together helping each other as one supports the other like the advisor assists the president.

19. I think that if I go through a phases. Over the last few months watching the grass grow ;) I have had a chance to think a lot. GC has been a good way to exercise my mind and express ideas. Now as I have done a few years back Im starting to hit a wall and Im not enjoying my own ideas and although I still find peoples post's interesting my main motivation to comment is usually to rebut a point of view.
    I have found that some peoples skills are not neccessarily in knowing anything factual ( which is fine if when presented in that manner) but they are skilled in argument. I never fell comfortable with my responses when I am not thinking from a positive mind set and that's a hard thing to maintain on here. But GC isnt designed to be a lifestyle or should it be a main source of social interaction so rather than be disappointed due to unrealistic expectations I need to keep this in mind. I want to find a healthy balance rather than just burn out or quit over a dummy spit. Any thought?

20. I agree. Any positive-minded person would feel such things. But why do you feel you need to respond when you are not in the correct mindset? Even if it is a hard thing to maintain on here, and I'm not sure why that might be, you still decide whether to respond or not.

Perhaps it's an ego thing?