Thinking of getting a motorcycle

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Domuk, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Well at the moment I own a '96 blazer and I love it, it has it problems but nothing serious that I can't work around. Only problem is, its a gas whore and I'm joining the military. Now this would be fine with me as I don't travel a lot but even in small time traveling, I use a lot of gas in such a short time. Well I've always wanted a bike but never had the time nor courage to convince my parents into letting me get one. Well I decided now that it is a good choice. Only thing is, all the one on my local Craigslist, while are nice, are not what I'm looking for(2 to 5 grand for a Harley and such) while my interest is just to get a sport bike such as a Kawasaki Ninja. I contacted a dealer and he told me that for a Ninja 250R I'm looking at about 4495 and for a Ninja 650 about 7495. They don't seem like horrible deals and he told me for payments, it about 100-200 a month, which I can manage well enough. My only question is, should I get one?

I've never been to a dealer myself, always bought used. At the moment I go to school as a senior and after I graduate, I will be going into the military shortly after. I want this to be a bike I can have for a long term, save some money with gas and in the end, still have a bad ass bike. I won't be getting rid of the blazers as I will use that for long travels(Unless the dealer will let me trade it for a bike but I doubt he will).

Anyways, as the above question asked, should I go talk to the dealer and see about buying a bike?

P.S. I don't have my motorcycle license but plan to if I do make the choice.

2. Buy used first, your probably going to lay your first bike down, most people do, if you never rode I bicycle before you would expect to fall once or so right? Well the wrong fall on a new street bike can be expensive. And don't buy a 250 you will regret it. I started on a 600 gsxr then a 636 ninjas now I just got a new gsxr 1000.

3. I would keep looking on craigslist. My local craigslist I find all kinds of cheap sports bikes that look nice. If you finance it you will have to get full coverage as well.

I've been debating on getting a motorcycle too. My mom wouldn't care but I'm about to be moving to my Grandpas and he's always talked about how dangerous they are, he used to have one though.

4. I don't think you need full coverage I have it but my buds bike just got stolen and he only had liability, its a brand new 750 also. You can find stunted bikes for under 2k.

5. Um, maybe it's different on motorcycles but if you are financing a car you are required to have full coverage insurance or else they send someone to repo it. And what do you mean by that lol...do you mean his liability covered the stolen bike?

6. No I thought any financed new vehicle you need full coverage. Laws differ from state to state and in my state you need it on cars, but not bikes. He had it stolen and only had liability, so now he owes aground 10k on a bike he doesn't have and will never get back.

7. Yea I don't know if you need it on bikes here but financing sucks lol. I would never finance a vehicle unless I could put like a 75-90% downpayment on it.

How much do you pay/month for full coverage?

8. Suzuki has 0% financing right now, not sure for how long though I didn't finance mine, but can finance for like 100-150$ a month or so. I pay under 500 for the year for full coverage, a bike is so cheap to own, I had just liability on my 636 and it was roughly 200$ a year. Gas wise too, its so much cheaper than a car. I'm looking into getting a 600 to stunt on, a 03 Cbr 7k miles just 1800$.

9. I've decided to go to a dealer tomorrow and look at what they have. I think I'm going to go with a 250r, I would love to get a 650 but 250r are cheaper and if in the end I do decide to upgrade, it'll be a cheap upgrade and I can resell the thing.

10. Look on craigslist everyones selling them no one buying... ive yet to meet anyone who doesn't regret buying a 250

11. Keep us updated bro. If you buy one I might have to do the same lol. I was thinking about buying a new vehicle this summer but I mean I already have one...a ranger, small but still a vehicle. A motorcycle is just sounding very tempting right now, especially with gas prices at $4 bucks.

I dread trying to get my motorcycle license though...I hate the dmv.

12. Well instead of getting a ninja, I got a Honda Rebel, I traded my blazer in for 1000 down and pay 150 a month now for it. I told them I'll get it once I get my license, which I'll hopefully have in a week or two depending on work.

13. Wait they wouldn't let you take it home without your motorcycle license? Or you just didn't have a way to get it?

God dammnit Domuk. God damn it. I said if you got one I would. Lmao. I think I'm going to now. The Rebels are nice. I gotta decide between a Rebel or the CBR250r. Cruisver vs Sport bike ahhhh...I guess I'll go to a dealer and see how they feel.

I'll probably bring it home on a trailer and practice on it around my neighborhood before I get my license though.

God damn summer weather. Y you so tempting?!

Oh btw, mind if I ask how old you are?

14. Do your license test on a scooter, the course isn't friendly to bigger bikes weaving in between cones is pretty hard. I failed my first time on a 600 and ive been riding dirtbikes my entire life, rent the scooter lol

15. No, they offered to get it to my home but I traded my blazer for the down payment and I told them I needed a way to get to and from work in till I get my license, so they were nice enough to say I could keep the blazer till then.
    I'm sorry though D:! The rebel was a nice bike though, so comfortable when I was sitting in it, love to give it a drive whenever possible.
    As I understand, the guys at this place have their own bikes and let me use theirs. I don't know what power though lol. I would be majorly pissed off if I failed though.

16. I used a 50 scooter weighed like 70lb lol

17. I'm 18 by the way mate, forgot to mention that.
    I don't believe they would give anything to powerful to a bunch of new riders, otherwise they would have a lot of failures.

18. Any chance you could post pictures when you get it? I'm off work this weekend so I'm gonna go to a dealer and look and the rebel and the Honda 250 street bike.

I looked up insurance and damn it is really cheap.

What made you decide on the cruiser style instead of a street bike?

19. Should, I don't know when I'll have it though. Orignally I wanted the street bike as I love the look of the ninja's but financing wouldn't cover me since I had next to no credit history. So they told me they would cover a 250 rebel, showed it to me and I decided that I liked the bike.

20. Aww damn. I have no credit history either but I plan on a 2500 or 3 grand down payment, probably just finance for a year and pay it off fast. Still keep my truck too.

Sucks that suzuki doesn't have a 250 sport bike like the ninja or Honda. I do like the Rebel though.

Now I can't wait to go shopping lol! Work today and tomorrow though.