Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Thinking of cutting down to ... once a season? once a year? Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by mirabela, Dec 13, 2009.

1. OK, a little about me ... been smoking since 1986, in phases ranging from heavily & daily for years at a time to years at a time with none at all.

On the one hand, weed has been a catalyzing agent for a great many important breakthroughs and insights for me; I owe much of what is best in my life to things weed has helped prompt me to face, embrace, deal with, attempt, etc.

On the other, when I get to doing it too much, I turn into a cloudy mop-head.

I've come off a few successful years growing, and the stash in the freezer is sufficient for my wife & my own usage, and our usual rate of sharing, for about eight years.

The trouble is, with this kind of an endless stash around, it becomes too big a part of how I go through life. What I like least about this is that it prompts me to undervalue the time I'm not high. Some of my favorite things to do high include reading, writing, some aspects of my professional work, playing music, running, hiking, and the pleasures of the bed. Now, my life is such that I can't be high all the time, so I wind up basically *not* doing a lot of the above things when I can't get high -- as if to say, this would be so much *better* with a couple of toots first that I'm not going to bother until I can light up. So I end up writing off the possibilities of at least half my waking hours, with the idea that my 'better self' can't come out to play without pot.

Well, balls to that, I say.

It's been 18 days now since I last smoked. I wouldn't want to say "That's it, I quit, I'm never smoking again." I don't think that's really necessary ... but I'm thinking of committing myself to the view that from here on out it will be something that is confined to certain personal holidays, like once a year or once in winter and once in summer or something like that.

What do you think?

2. Just pick a day and do it on that day every 3 months so its 4 times a year all different seasons

3. I think this hits the nail on the head. I can definitely see where you are coming from and, ideally, it would be the reverse and you value the times you were high as they were a break in routine or, a treat. Smoking less you will appreciate it more and when you want/need it MJ will be there. Its your life and by choosing not to be a 'mop head', i think you are all that much more in control. :)

4. Possibly just on special occasions of sorts-Vacations, Concerts ect...

5. I like the quarterly approach, if you truly don't want to smoke much any more and want stricter limits.

OK, I'll bite: On rare occasion I think about what my life would be like if I chose not to smoke MJ any more. And I wouldn't like it, I don't think--it makes things FAR too pleasurable.

I personally love weed FAR too much to think about giving it up anytime soon. For me personally, that is. Then again, I'm much more of a n00b than you--1994 is when I started smoking, at the age of fifteen.

6. Ok so smoke everyday as you usually do but take a tolerance break for a month every season.

Keep your tolerance low and your mind high:smoking:

7. This is your life man, don't fuck around with it. Really Gestimate your yearly schedule, and pick days that YOU think you would ENJOY smoking on, and go for it. I treat smoking weed like drinking beer, you have to do it responsibly, but when you do, a shitload of fun is to be had.

I think people who smoke daily are CRAZY. My mind can't handle a gigantic mindfuck like that, i feel insane after a week of it.

But yeah, thats what i do, and i'm always checking my calendar to see when i can toke next. I usually have a good video game or get together set up for it. And most of all, i ENJOY the hell out of it. Thats what counts IMO.

8. i'm in no way saying you don't have willpower, but limiting something pleasurable ( especially when the subject matter is "drugs") never works, if you still allow yourself to do it, you will eventually fall back into the routine of smoking all the time. You should just take breaks, and when you aren't on the break, smoke whenever the FUCK ya want.

9. I think that you should do what i do. I have pretty serious studies im trying to get a degree in pharmacy, and when i have work to do, or want to hike or be productive i make sure i am sober. I get high around once a week or every two weeks, and when im high i just enjoy my high and play a little music, watch TV. when you are high just enjoy the the high. and work and all that do sober.

10. I say go for it! Anywhere between 4 and 12 tokes a year sounds about right for what you're looking for.

When you get high, though... get stoned. Made it a real treat for yourself, like the last cookie in the jar. The less cookies you eat, the better they'll taste.

11. When ur not high and ur sad it's not because weed makes you not appreciate being sober, its because smoking weed makes u happy and ur not smoking weed. No matter what you do when ur not smoking weed it's never as good as doing it while smoking weed. Life is short and pointless... light up a joint and forget about things. theres nothing else better to do in the big picture

12. [q]When ur not high and ur sad it's not because weed makes you not appreciate being sober, its because smoking weed makes u happy and ur not smoking weed. No matter what you do when ur not smoking weed it's never as good as doing it while smoking weed. Life is short and pointless... light up a joint and forget about things. theres nothing else better to do in the big picture [/q]

There have certainly been times I've been in perfect agreement with this -- it's not like I don't feel you -- I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd like to be able to bring some of the better parts of being a pot smoker to bear on all my time, while doing without the parts I don't like so much, altogether. I think I can do it ... I'm just trying to kind of home in on what's the right frequency of visits to that special place.

13. I think what you should do is donate (or sell?) the rest of your stash to your friends and family members.

Then you won't have any left or any temptations.

Only when you really want to be high, maybe for a concert of some sorts, will you go out of your way to get some weed.

Basically, it will make being high more of a hassle and therefore will force you to smoke when it's important/appropriate

14. #14 garrison68, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
    There's a guy, that has a website/blog, who smoked a lot, and took stronger psychedelics, when he was younger, but didn't smoke for many years and rediscovered it when he was older. He's not trying to be a "stoner", he takes one toke every Sunday, no more no less. This way, he can meditate or whatever and get high enough but not overdo it. I don't know if one toke would be enough for many younger people, though it is for some oldtimers..
    Edit, this is where I saw it:
    http://www.freemarijuanachurch.org/content/mystory.html

15. I know exactly what you mean, I love herb but have a hard time regulating it. I think the right amount to use is different for everyone, but I think once a month is probably good because it just seems like the right balance to me. Yours could be different but just make sure you enjoy it like everyone says, be sure to stick to your limits, dont justify smoking outside of once a month!

happy toking:smoke:

16. Yeah, I saw that guy's 'one toke sunday morning' thing a year or so back ... that might even have influenced my thinking about this a little bit. As for the 'one hit' approach -- I sometimes want a little more than that, but I've always been a cheap date in this regard. I don't like getting really wrecked, and these kids who smoke blunts, go through an ounce in a week, etc. are something I've never really understood.

I don't know that I'm necessarily going to go giving it *all* away -- I'd just as soon not have to go through some kind of hassle when the time is *really* right -- but I certainly might jettison quite a bit. I don't know if it'll stay effective this long, even frozen & airtight, but the way I'm thinking, a single ounce ought to be good for twenty years or so. Or, let's say ten, and then if it's actually necessary at that point I'll grow a single plant ... LOL

17. Yeah, weed should be thought of as a "spice" to add flavor. You've got a problem when it becomes the "meat" of your existence.

18. Its always good to take a break for a few months, years, just to get your thinking back to normal for a while. This gives you an opportunity to build character and get stronger. Always nice that when you start up again its almost like when you first smoked it.

19. Smoke whenever you want to, but be on the lookout for signs of stonerism (ie ridiculous lack of motivation, excessive masturbation, dirty house, too lazy to take showers, etc) so you know when to cut back.

20. Tomorrow makes day 28 with none. Yay me.

I feel quite a bit better, really -- sharper, clearer, a little more outgoing, and -- dare I say it? -- happier!

Imagine ...

Anyway, I'm thinking of laying down a 'not more than once a month' policy for starters, and seeing if that's enough to stay out of trouble.