Thinking about being a waiter

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by dtoken210, Apr 30, 2012.

1. I have a lot of food experience and now I want to be a waiter. Can some people who have been servers tell me what they thought of it and any tips possible would help.
    Thanks

2. I've never been a server, but its pretty much what you see when you go out to eat. Of course you'r gonna meet some super nice people, but their are definitely going to be some assholes you have to deal with. People whose food "isn't done properly", or I heard a customer tell me this at work (gas station). There was a group of 10-12 Black folks out at dinner. they had a white teenage boy as a waiter. He said they left a huge mess on the table, and didn't even leave a tip. He said the people at dinner felt that the waiter "owed" them, due to the color difference.

Not saying thats gonna be you everyday. But I could see it happening in the right situation. You probably make good tip money being a waiter, but personally I would never bee one.

P & P

3. Expect to make next to nothing and be treated like dirt by your superiors and customers.

4. I work as a server at red lobster. Your pretty much just taking and filling orders, bussing, and making sure everyone in your section is taken care of. In a good week I make $300 in just tips alone. But ive heard of people working at different resturants pulling $150 on a good night. I dont usually deal with many assholes but that changes for everyone. Anyway good luck in whatever avenue you choose. But if you have a friendly personality and a hard worker. Go serve and make some money.

5. I just got a job (bout 3 months ago) working at a really fancy expensive joint and from having no hospitality experience I was fine (been baked there too).

If you think you are fine with communication then you'll be fine, its not hard, give it a shot.

6. Well I myself have never been a waiter, I am however food service at a retirement home, vaguely similar because we take orders and get drinks etc.

However my mom was a waitress for years, and from what she told me heres some advise,

1. If the place where you work is obvious shit, dont expect the greatest experience ever.

2. Always always always, be nice to the customer. You'll get return customers and they may ask for you specifically. Thats how you get good tips.

3. This applys to all jobs. Stay neutral with all your coworkers. Yes you can be friends with some but try not to get on anyone specifics bad side. Especially a cook or something, then they may intentionally screw you over by making a table wait for food, thus you get shit tips.

4. Have a positive attitude and you'll have a good day. This again applies to all jobs, but very much so in any service job with face to face with the public. Treat em nicely and they'll joke around with you, be more lenient is for example you take a while to get refills they may not mind if your treating them nicely.

5. Dont smoke before your actually good at your job. I've made this mistake and your just standing there not knowing what to do looking stupid.

Anyways I hope you get the job because all jobs are a chance for opportunity. It is what you make it out to be.

7. Lol at whoever says its shotty money. It's minimum wage ++tips! I work at a pretty low end restaurant and waiters/waitresses leave everyday with 70-200 bucks in tips. Cash. Tax free. It's not easy but it's not difficult.

8. fucking waiters... always expecting tips...

ROFL :laughing:

9. when people ask for a drink, get them a drink.
    when people ask for food, get them food.

10. #10 KangarooBunny, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012

What? No way is it minimum wage+tips normally. Server's make like 4 or 5 bucks +tips MOST.

I currently own/manage a cafe. In the sale process at the moment. Food service can make you bitter and mean. I can't wait to get away from it.

Edit: Also, you legally have to pay taxes on gratuity.

11. your a complete bitch to the big man if you pay taxes on your tips!

12. Do it! You will never go back to any job! Truuussstt me!

13. Big man bitch or not, just stating facts for OP to come to his conclusion. ;)

14. Fuck.being a server fuck with my grill I fuck you up with my spatula

15. Was waiter before.

Food industry is a terrible business, it gets worse as it goes down the chain of command.

16. I know people who make good money doing it, and I know people who don't make shit. It all depends on your tips.