Thinkin of getting a dog

Discussion in 'General' started by Deleted member 45850, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Well, ive never had a dog before. I was thinking of getting a lab or something like that. How much does it cost to feed one of these a month though? Whats the vet usually cost too?

2. I love dogs. I have a dog!

Pretty cheap, if you can afford dog food and you're pretty much set. I haven't had to take my dog to the vet ever and hes 3 years old.

Although hes been at the SPCA a few times.

3. You probably should for shots and heartworm medicine.

But anyways, depends on the breed. I say go for it, though, because the cost will seem insignificant after you spend some time with your new dog.

Seriously man dogs can often times be alot better than people... plus theyre always on your side.

I have a wee little teacup poodle (yeah try and laugh at me you bitches:D) which looks actually nothing like a poodle. And I'm like 6'1 200 lbs, not huge, but pretty big, and this little dude always just sits on my forearm when i walk around. His name is Marley, of course.

4. If you're considering buying a dog, I reccomend adoption/shelters; especially if you're just looking for a companion. I can happily say that both our family cat and dog were adopted. The dog is a loyal, protective yellow-lab/german shepherd mix, and the cat's just a fun ball of cat.

It's a great choice. They DO take work. If it's energetic--you walk it. If it's hungry--you feed it. Clean up after it.

But enjoy it, dogs are great friends.

5. depending on the size of the dog you can go through maybe 40 a month 20 for food 20 for insurance at petco!!! a must if you have a dog u really get attached to, i have a pic of my buddy every time i post

6. dogs are the tits. a 20 lb bag of iams dog food goes for 16.50 at petsmart.com, so food's not that much. get a pup from a shelter, preferably one that's just weened, so it's negative experiences will be limited, no one's trained it differently than you would, and besides, puppies are cute as shit. from a shelter, a pup with all its shots, and a ticket for a free spay/neuter when it's old enough runs about a hundred bucks. well worth the money, assuming you've got space enough for a dog. get a small breed if you don't have space.

7. Thanks guys, i'll keep my eyes out for one at the shelter when i head home from college :)

8. well labs are great dogs and i would also say to rescue a puppy since you just want a companion...also its way cheaper...and as for monthly food it isnt to much i have a 85lb american bulldog that doesnt even go threw a big bag of food a month...also as for the vet they need to go every once and a while for rabies and other shots and heartworm pills

9. I have a four year old femal pitbull..Her name is Spirit..:) I love dogs and I would definitely get a puppy so you can train them to your liking..

10. I've been thinking about getting a dog as well. I'm going to go the breeder route though because I want aminiature multigenerational labradoodle. They're known for their great temperment and have minimal/no shedding coats and are great for people with mild allergies. They are lab/mini-poodle mix but a "pure" mix.

The only reason I haven't done it yet is because they're in the range of $2000-$3000.

Good luck with your descision! And I agree with everyone else - if you can you should def. go with the shelter!

11. Labs are big dogs, and will eventually eat rather a lot; hard to exactly how much, since I don't know how expensive things like that are there, but you're looking at a good couple of quid a day, if not more, by the time they reach adult size. Labs also have boundless energy, and as such can be hard to train; you literally need a ton of patience and energy, and either access to puppy classes, or the ability to learn and teach your dog important skills and behaviours. Company is also essential for dogs, especially more hperactive breeds; don't get a dog if you work full time.

As for the vet, your booster shots need to be done every year, and I'd highly recommend you both neuter and insure the dog. Operations can be very, very costly, and if you are insured, hopefully, the most you will ever have to pay is an excess charge (here it's about 50£/$100 per op).

I'll be honest, this is something you ned to think about hard; dogs are a lifetime commitment, and if you think you do not have adequate time, space, money or energy, please don't get one.

And if you do, please don't become one of these dicks that think it's funny or clever to 'smoke out' their dog; give them all the loce they deserve and in return, you will get the best company on earth ;)

12. im gettin an alaskan huskie soon as i get out of undergrad :D

13. I have a pair of Schipperkes, They are soo bad ass, smart. I wasn't into dogs untill I came across these at friends place and had to have them, never seen them before till then. the downside was when I did find them, they are hella expensive but I allready was set to get them but was worth it. Here is a link to a video too :D

Yay feeding time

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO. That made me laugh really hard for some reason... I don't know why, man. +rep for the tits

15. Here's my dog George
    [​IMG]
    He's really easy to take care of. I have dog food, but he just kinda eats whatever I'm eating usually.

16. Dogs are the best pets... actually to me they are not pets they are more of a member of my family... there always there for you perfect for those times when u are alone at home. and not to mention i get the best feeling when im high and playing with my pup..

i highly recommend tho that u look into getting insurance for your dog and any pet for that matter.. with the pet insurance (can be as little as 15 bucks a month , I pay 400 for a full year of full coverage) and what that does is anytime you have to take your pet to the vet for shots, check-ups or if its sick or injured just send in your recipt to the insurance company and you will get that amount back in the mail that u had to pay for the vaccinations or med bills for your pet. it is definatly a great investment and the best choice for the safety of your pet.

17. ^^ hahah your dog be like all chillin and shit I dunno why but I like your dog. Probably because his name is George.

I want to name my next dog Widget or Robot.

18. Im not going to be getting one for at least another 4 months. What kind of dog is that that you have Max?

19. Ive got a Red Dober Pincer and wont ever get another breed. Great dogs.

20. oops, i meant My Fax... was fucked up