Things that are disappearing

Discussion in 'General' started by kancastank, May 2, 2013.

1. What are some things you think are disappearing from todays world? Im writing an essay for english and I have to think of something that is becoming less prevalent and the effect it has on us.

I wanted to do privacy in America but my teacher keeps telling me the topics im choosing are too broad. Some example essays she gave us were about how payphones were disappearing, another was about how people never write letters anymore because we text/email. Any ideas?

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I know I ask for hw help on here a good amount so forgive me lol

2. #3 DebbyDowner, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    Kindness - The competition for instant gratification, success, a rock star social life etc. is to blame

Edit: Something specific: Twinkies.

3. #4 Akademicks, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
    1 word. Originality. If you do an essay on why originality is dead, you'll open up your classmates mind when you present it. Also, a fat, juicy, creamy A+

4. Natural resources. One day, we will all be eating soylent green. Soylent green is a movie about our future. More truth than fiction.

5. Social interaction. Like when we are in public, most of the population tends to be on their phones, and not interacting with people, sparking up random conversations, etc.

6. Physical written media like newspapers, magazines, etc. All going digital.

7. That's a good one. My dad was telling me the other day about how easy it was to start a conversation with someone walking down the street during his childhood. People would probably think you'd try to rape them or something if you were to try today

8. im actually glad this is happening. sooo many useless things have been printed or copied or thrown about, then eventually thrown away to rot or be recycled.

as for the people saying stuff like kindness n whatnot. just so you know, there's always been the good, bad, and ugly in the world. keyword, always.

9. Twinkies are coming back. :smoke:

Twinkies Are Coming Back | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

10. Yeah, I don't know if its just the media or whatnot, but with all the recent shootings and statistics lately, it seems like its going down the drain.

I acknowledge that there's good, bad, and ugly, but it just seems like there's more bad and ugly now than before.

11. I'm not trying to stir up the crowd here or anything but I think a good topic to talk about would be religion. It seems with every generation we are stepping further and further away from it. You could say if this is a good or bad thing based on your own personal belief.

12. it depends what you mean by "before". in the past 10 years? 20 years? believe it or not the 90's was one of THE most violent decades in the US in almost a hundred years. i'd say in the past few years shits been a bit more sensationalized, but there's still just as much death and killing in the world as there was 13 years ago. now its just in different parts in the world, or in reoccurring areas.

another crazy thing that still blows my mind is that there are MORE suicides every year then there are homicides. it shows us that more people hate themselves then there are people that hate eachother. too me, that speaks volumes about the world we live in and just how fucked up a place it can really be to our bodies and minds.

13. Bees:confused_2: They are in short supply and in some cases must be trucked from state to state in SEMI-TRUCKS to pollinate crops and such...We need honey-bees, without them the food chain would literally crumble..

So yeah, bees are disappearing from today's world.

14. idk after some quick googling apparently gun violence is on the decline even though it's highlighted otherwise on cnn and shit. So yeah, sensationalism is playing a part in my perception of the world. On the other hand though someone could still make the argument that there's more bad than good through other means. Like for example, why people are more so killing themselves now than before. but now that i think about it that would just suck to write about/be really broad and complicated

15. and decent pizza deliveries

16. Chivalry?

Plenty of badass animals/plants you could do.

Or, on that note, Weed. Since prohibition encourages complete eradication.

orrrr, if you wanted to blow some minds... i'd talk about how wars used to be fought on political ideologies, but are now fought within the by-laws of business and multinationals.