They Pass New Laws All The Time; Do They Get Rid Of Old Laws?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by letsmokeasweet, Jun 7, 2013.

1. hey yall

yea we have a part time state legislature here that meets every two years to pass new laws

and they were in session and the news is talking about all of these new laws they are talking about passing

i feel that more laws equal more goverment control

so as they are passing new laws, do they vote to eliminate older laws, or "unessasarry" laws??

i mean, you can only make so many new laws before you run out of stuff

2. #2 lilro, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    The way it usually works is, they pass new laws that invalidate old laws, but keep the old laws on the books. You can look at the amendments to the US Constitution for examples.

It's a good thing, and a bad thing.

Good for record-keeping and historical reasons, as you can completely map out the development of the country. You learn from mistakes more quickly when you know what the mistakes are. Usually.

Bad because it makes the law books too convoluted and redundant. The language creates "loopholes" and makes it practically impossible to be a "law-abiding citizen".

3. Sorry, no idea.  All I know is that there's a law in Colorado against driving a black car on Sunday and another against cruising on your bike.  Stupid shit.  I have to assume the state legislature doesn't do a damn thing.

4. Not really.

One more thing people need to realize is that now adays laws don't even get "passed" anymore

80% of all laws come in the form of regulations made by the FDA and usda and other regulatory agencies and never become subjext to checks and balances

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Laws and regulations are not the same thing.

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/library/research/courseGuides/upload/UnderstandingLaws.pdf

6. Laws and regulations are not the same thing.

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/library/research/courseGuides/upload/UnderstandingLaws.pdf
    </blockquote>
    Semantics.

The end result is you being told you can't do something on pain of punishment.

Laws regulations rules guidleines. Whatever.

You are required to.comply. if you don't you get punished.

Therefore its a law. And its illegal because Congress didn't sign it

Yup, and politicians create agencies to purposely to insulate themselves from the "laws." The best, recent example is Obamacare, and the countless ". . . as the secretary shall determine" contained within the thousands of pages.

We hear politicians say things like "Hey, we don't like this rogue agency and their rules either." They can de-fund them if they choose to, but never do. So, connect dot A to dot B . . .

Also, endless laws are very useful to the state. As Ayn Rand said:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

8. Yup, and politicians create agencies to purposely to insulate themselves from the "laws." The best, recent example is Obamacare, and the countless ". . . as the secretary shall determine" contained within the thousands of pages.

We hear politicians say things like "Hey, we don't like this rogue agency and their rules either." They can de-fund them if they choose to, but never do. So, connect dot A to dot B . . .

Also, endless laws are very useful to the state. As Ayn Rand said:

"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
    </blockquote>
    That quotes going on Facebook. Thanks

9. Not the same thing, but regulations are factually a type of law. Laws cover a lot of ground; you have statutory law (federal, state, and local), common law (includes precedent), treaties, and administrative rules (regulations, etc), which are the four types I was taught in school. There's even constitutional and international law to consider on top of those.

10. Not the same thing, but regulations are factually a type of law. Laws cover a lot of ground; you have statutory law (federal, state, and local), common law (includes precedent), treaties, and administrative rules (regulations, etc), which are the four types I was taught in school. There's even constitutional and international law to consider on top of those.
    </blockquote>You took me off ignore? Cheers

11. Can you see it?

Dredd: I am tha lauw!
    innocent: Im sorry don't   ((BANG))
    lol just having fun....