There is nowhere to go

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by YEM, Dec 25, 2010.

1. That's right folks. All this movement isn't moving us annnnyyyyywhere.

2. No one is ever going to go anywhere but dead, that said, we're all here, which is essentially the same 'place', with different surroundings, I'm at a cafe in an indistinguishly indistictable alien gettup in the middle of a volcano on Orion's Belt buckle

3. Or perhaps movement is all there is.

4. I seeeeee. Well, in that case....

*slits own throat*

*realizes he's still stuck where he started since there's nowhere to go*

Damn. :(

5. I've got nowhere to go because I have no need to leave where I already am

6. there is no where to go since there is nothing to go too. but the place that we all try to find is the place that creates somthing more then we have which is nothing. we travel to find somthing in a world of nothing while ther is no somthing

7. thats not true , i can get to the kitchen with my feet

i can become an astronate , or go hiking in the forest

if you look at life in the completly absolute sense , you start to feel isolated , gotta keep a relative sense of mind , keep your feet on the ground

"Keep your mind ever on the Star, but let your eyes watch over your footsteps, lest you fall into the mire by reason of your upward gaze."

8. The moment sticks, movement is an illusion as H20420 has previously said.

And yet movement really is all there is. :p

9. The only place we're going, is where we've always been.

From within the circle, progress looks like change.

10. YEM, I can see that you're a smart guy and you often make these one or two sentence posts that pique my atention because they often point to some philosophies that I feel have at least a grain of truth to them.

.....the problem is that's all you do.

Anyone can make statements like this, but they're a complete waste of time if you can't back them up with some sort of logical (or even intuitional argument.)

You seem to feel so high-and-mighty that it's everyone else's job to guess at what the fuck you're saying but you have yet to prove that you even really understand what you're saying, so why should we even bother?

11. That's because your expecting to be moved.. Movement starts in the mind.. You only begin to move when you subconsciously set a location or goal to be moved to..

12. This moment is all there is. Experience is all there ever was.

Yeah, didn't help with the logic, right?

Alright. Okay.

"The natural world therefore reveals its content, its fulness of wonder, when respect hinders us from investigationg it in such a way as to shatter it to abstractions. If I must cross every skyline to find out what is beyond, I shall never appreciate the true depth of sky seen between trees upon the ridge of a hill. If I must map the canyons and count the trees, I shall never enter into the sound of a hidden waterfall. If I must explore and investigate every trail, that path which vanishes into the forest far up on the mountainside will be found at last to lead merely back to the suburbs. To the mind that pursues every road to its end, every road leads nowhere. To abstain is not to postpone the cold disillusionment of the true facts but to see that one arrives by staying rather than going, that to be forever looking beyond is to remain blind to what is here."
    Alan Watts, Man and Woman pg 84

Having the experience and the mind be one, there is no 'you' to do the going. There is only an abundantly spacious realm of being. Of breathing, transforming, warping.

You see, when the mind runs around all day constantly thinking about the next move it's going to play, it loses sight of the present moment, the only thing that is truly happening. The realization that there is nowhere to go is this returning to this present moment, calming the mind into vivid awareness. Yes, here I am, rooted. I sit, I breathe, I be. I AM. I am, and all this time all I've been doing is being lost in the clouds of obscuration, I forget that I am here, right now, breathing. Have I gone anywhere? No, I've always been right here. Even when my mind is drifting about, spacing out hard into itself, I remain, waiting for the next return into me, stillness itself.

You see, this wise mind empty of mind is present, all the time. It doesn't go anywhere. Motion doesn't fool it, speech doesn't tangle it, emotions don't breech it. When the thinking mind realizes that all its thinking hasn't moved this still mind, it collapses, completely falls out and merges with this still mind. In this still mind, perception is nondual, unconditional and this DOES NOT CHANGE. It has nothing to change into for it already is everything changing.

This relative truth can be taken a different way as well.
    There is no place to escape. How can movement move outside itself? How can everything be outside itself, move into a place where it isn't?
    To realize that we are all here, presently and momentarily, fleeting indefinitely, being aware continuously, and to see that yet we cannot move out of "this". The cosmic universe is in a dance of energy, and being the cosmic universe, we are in a dance as well. Everything is moving, we are the movement. But as a dancer does not dance to get anywhere, or as a band does not jam to get to the end of their piece, we do not go to get to the end, simply because there is no end. The going in itself is the end, and paradoxically the beginning as well.

It seems as if we are in a standstill, a moment that doesn't get anywhere. But that is the thing, it was never meant to get us somewhere, it was meant to serve as an opportunity for us to enjoy it, to be dancing in it.

And so, there truly is nowhere to go, because all there is is here.

Recursive loops have us.

13. Paradoxical it may sound, but being still is being with the movement, all there ever is.

Perhaps being the movement is more truthful than being with the movement.

14. Yep.. Everyone is a movement within themselves.. You must first embody your essence to become who you are. Ounce you find what moves you then you find what moves others.. Thus starting a movement.. I agree, their really is no where to go because movement is not physical movement is mental.. Here is a nice example you spend a year working slaving hard in a cubicle saving money to go on a vacation because that will somehow makeup for the year of slavery.. finally after all the anticipation you go on vacation for 2 weeks only to return to the place you began?. So were did you go? Was the vacation just mental?.. Is what you perceive to be happiness really happiness?.

15. what if the movement was never meant to go anywhere...

16. I think this is the case, truly. A more than a what if, the truth in reality.

17. "There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars."
    Jack Kerouac

18. Reminds me of the Modest Mouse song, Cowboy Dan.

"Everytime you think you're walking you're just moving the ground
    Everytime you think you're talking you're just moving your mouth
    Everytime you think you're looking you're just looking down"

19. If nowhere is somewhere to go, then why can't we go?

Otherwise I ask; what is, when that which is, is not?

20. Nowhere isn't necessarily somewhere to go if we are there already. ;)

What is is not what which is as which is is not what what is.
    What is is what which is not. and which is not is not what what is.
    And yet, it is because which is what it is that makes what what it is.
    And it is because what is what it is that which is what it is.

Now, which which is what what?