Theory: 1 reason pot won't be legalized

Discussion in 'General' started by blazin420, Jan 16, 2004.

1. I was sitting around, smoking a bowl and thinking. Why won't pot be legalized?

There are MANY reasons. Probably all of which have been covered here. But I came up with one particular reason that I have never heard mentioned before. Sorry if this was already mentioned.

I was watching TV and heard the old saying "Money doesn't grow on trees." That got me thinking. The current price of Gold is about $400 per troy ounce which equates to about $360 per ounce or $12.90 per gram.

The current price (around me) for some real good quality bud is about $375 to $400 per ounce. About the same price as Gold.

We all know our currency is backed by Gold. This is what gives it value. So, in essence, if you were to grow quality bud, it would be like growing money. And if everyone were allowed to grow it, I can see how it could cause a major problem. Everyone would be rich, and there would be no "balance."

Does this make sense to anyone else?

2. but if everyone grew it, the value would decrease. value of a substance is often determined by it's lack of abundance. The reason we don't put much worth on limestone is because it's all over the fucking place, while diamonds are less abundant and take more work to find. Pot, if legalized would become more like limestone, everyone could have it. Right now it's like diamonds, you have to look for it and work to grow it because you don't want to get caught.

3. Yeah, thats true. But a lot of people would still make a lot of money.

4. I think that if they do legalize it, it would be to grow it and smoke it on your own property. No trafficking or selling allowed. that came to me today when i was thinkin about it. I dont think that would be all bad if it were like that.

5. but also think if it were just considered like alcohol, and you could run a buisness growing and just grow like acres and have it be completely legal, so much would be grown it would be rediculous for the current prices to stay, breweries would become herbatoriums... mmmm

6. well if everyone grew it, then y the hell would u buy weed if you could get it for free jus by growing it. and if it was legalized i'm sure it would be in corporations n shit kinda like newport n marlboro r major tobacco companies, there would probably be weed companies to.

7. cuz people are lazy

8. Thats what I was thinking too.

9. you can get alcohol by brewing it cant you? but how many people do?

plus not everyone has the time/room to grow

10. Diamonds are in fact very common. The diamond cartels (like DeBeers) would have you thinking otherwise. They create the illusion that diamonds are "rare" and "precious" stones, so you pay more for them. They're more common than you think, and aren't worth anything near what you'd pay for them at a jewelry store.....