Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Theapplethief's Guide to bad highs and anxiety

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by theapplethief, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Since a lot of smokers get paranoid or scared from time to time, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents on the issue. As someone that suffers from Anxiety throughout many areas of my life I know a few things about how to deal with it and how to make sure marijuana helps it, instead of making it worse. I know other people have made guides like this, but hopefully mine will still help some people.

1) Indica, Indica, Indica, Indica.
    If anxiety is an issue at all, finding Indica, or at least Indica dominant strains is half the battle. Indicas, on average, have lower THC contents than Sativas, but higher CBD contents. The ratio difference is thought to have a profound effect on anxiety and is why Indica strains are used medically for anxiety treatment.

2) Dealing with paranoia.
    The best way to deal with paranoia is to get rid of the reason for it. If you're afraid of getting caught or arrested, maybe smoking or being high in public places isn't for you. Personally, I much prefer chilling by myself or with a few friends at my home or one of theirs. It makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.
    However if you start to get paranoid, take deep breaths, and remind yourself its just the drug thats making you feel this way. If you're with friends, let them know what you're feeling. Often times, just hearing some reassuring words makes all the difference.

3) My heart is racing.
    As most of you know, pot raises your heartrate. It's that simple. If you don't have a heart condition you honestly have nothing to worry about. A lot of times you may even start to feel chest pain, but I can tell you 99.999999% of the time, it's all in your head. Once again, take deep breaths and remind yourself its just a drug. If you're with friends let them know how you're feeling. Whatever you do, DO NOT START GOOGLING IT OR LOOKING ON WEBMD. You will just make yourself more worried and confused. Relax. Deep breaths

In all of these situations, a great thing that can help is doing something soothing that take minimal mental effort. I say minimal, because you don't want to overwhelm yourself, and you also don't want to let your mind wander. Watching TV typically isn't a good way to distract yourself unless its a particularly intelligent show that makes you think. Listen to some relaxing music. Do a puzzle. If you play an instrument, get it out and play around with it. Many times, just strumming my guitar has completely saved me from a few hours of discomfort and worry.

If these methods don't help, then Marijuana may simply not be for you. However I feel strongly that marijuana, if used responsibly, is very positive, so using these methods can really help you.

Again, these are just tips and suggestions I've found helpful. If you want to add anything, please feel free to. If you have anything to dispute feel free to do that also.

Keep on blazing, guys :smoke:

2. Nice man. Good tips.
    :smoke:

3. I find that Indica's put me down, resulting in a little depressive episode or anxiety. Sativa's always make me energetic, happy, no anxiety, no depression, I just wanna run and eat a Big Mac lmao.

4. great tips I get the heart racing/anxiety every once in a while, thank you!

5. If only I read this before my first time.. haha great advice dude :smoke:

6. Never had anything but antianxiety from pot, especially with a bong. Only thing is if I'm coming up on a larger dose of mushrooms and I toke my heart starts racing. I just breathe deeply and wait for the anxiety to leave.

7. I used to get horrible heart races some times. Especially on Sativa's. But I took a break for a month(Rehab) and when I blazed again I never had a fast beating heart rate or any anxiety. I prefer Indica's over Sativa's but now I have no problem with smoking Sativa's