The Zaphod Syndrome. A theory.

Discussion in 'General' started by smokinokie, Sep 19, 2001.

?

Am I full of shit?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just on this post.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All the time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. For those of you who have'nt read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," I'll explain Zaphod. For those of you that have, it's been awhile since I read it, so if I blow it........ take it easy on me! :)

Zaphod Breeblebrox was the President of the Galaxy. His job, instead of running the government, was to distract attention away from the government so it could do as it pleased. He made Clinton look like a puritan!

"But what does this have to do with our current dilemma?" you ask. Which gives me a chance to spew some of my own little theories I've pondered lately.

I think Bush could be playing Zaphod here. I think he's probably been advised to talk real tough, threaten the big war, make everyone think it's going to be a long struggle.

Meanwhile, in the Intelligence community, we've got special ops. outfits all over the hot area. Waiting to strike quick on these small groups and then be outta there before they know what hit them.

My basis for this line of thinking. I would like to think that the advisors to Bush have seen whats happened in the past when we've tried to go police other countries on a large scale. I would also like to think that they know the history of Afgahnastan. It's always been in upheaval, yet none of the great empires of civilization have been able to conquer it. To the best of my knowledge anyway. Any scholars present feel free to correct me.

They surely have to know that you don't need an entire army to go after small, mobile, groups. I know there's technology out there to make this easier than the Soviets had it when they tried. No way we want to occupy anything in or near the Mid-East.

I'm giving them a lot of credit. I hope they don't let me down.

Whaddya think?

2. what i herd on ther news today is that tommrow a councel of elders is gonna talk about weather or not to deport bin laden. if this dosnt happon (witch it most likely wont happon) we will bomb there asses and possably follow up with ground troops.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Smokie, it sounds like a great idea if the gov. has that in mind. I only hope that no one who is inocent will die because of what other people have caused.
    Looks like they could use you in the intelligence agentcies. If you need a refferance to get in, tell them to e-mail me and i'll give you an A+. < that is NOT sarcasm.

Peace to all...............................................

4. Okie, that's probably an option that's on the table. Next time there's a press conference from the Pentagon, watch for the Army Chief of Staff (he may be actually be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff - I don't recall). I noticed he we was wearing a Special Forces patch on his uniform, meaning he was once a Green Beret. You can bet he's thrown the special ops card on the table.

I have a friend who is former Army Special Forces (Green Beret - he spent time in Central America during the 80's. Do I hang out with a fun crowd or what?). Anyway, according to him, special ops/forces will train or "advise" native insurgents in a particular country. Afghanistan has such a group who have engaged in guerrilla warfare against the Taliban (I forget their name, but they are some Islamic faction). My friend speculated that special forces are probably there now dispensing advice and "toys" (the kind that go boom).

5. It does fit, sort of. I was wondering why Bush is talking more trash than a NBA point guard.

6. I realy hope so, what I realy hope is that the FBI and CIA are pumping 100 billion in intelligence to stop happening this things forever. Inforamtion is a key thing. I realy don't think a war in afghanistan would solve anything. And please don't get me wrong, I have feelings of revenge. But that won't stop it from happening again. This time it were airplanes on skyscrapers, next time it will be on a nuclear powerplant or they will get to a nuclear device themselves. Who whish to do evil can do evil. And we have to stop it. We need resources to hunt these people down, but most off all we all (and I mean everybody) have to take care. Whatch ,listen en don't take our rich live for granted. There are people out there who want to hurt you. But a war is not an answer. I think it will only bring more anger and hate from the people in that region. We have to be wise and effective. Brute force (and we have brute force) would escalate things or only delay the inevitable. You only need one marterer, to destroy a civilization. I read this today, it's over two years old. But I wan't to prevent this in my lifetime and my childeren's. Peace and take care.

Arms expert warns U.S. cities face nuclear terrorism threat

Saturday, January 23, 1999

By Jack Kelly, Post-Gazette National Affairs Correspondent

The odds are that an American city will be destroyed by a nuclear weapon within ten years, an architect of the U.N. weapons inspection program in Iraq predicted yesterday.

Ambassador Robert Gallucci gave a chilling overview of the parlous state of nuclear proliferation at a luncheon sponsored by the World Affairs Council at the Duquesne Club.

His nightmare scenario:

"One of these days, one of these governments fabricates one or two nuclear weapons, gives it to a terrorism group created for this purpose. The group brings one of these bombs into Baltimore by boat, and drives another one up to Pittsburgh.

"And then the message comes in to the White House: Adjust your policy in the Middle East, or on Tuesday you lose Baltimore, and on Wednesday you lose Pittsburgh. Tuesday comes, and we lose Baltimore. What does the United States do?"

His estimate of the likelihood of the nightmare scenario coming true: better than 50-50.

Gallucci believes the breakup of the Soviet Union and the breakdown of order in Russia and former Soviet republics has made rapid nuclear proliferation inevitable. Since the dawn of the atomic age in 1945 until last year, there were only five declared nuclear powers - the United States, Russia, Britain, France and China - and at least one undeclared nuclear state: Israel. Last year, India and Pakistan joined the club, each exploding devices that could kill more than a half-million people instantly. There are more to come.

"Thirty years ago, we thought by the end of the century we'd be up around 100," Gallucci said. But proliferation was held in check by the Cold War standoff between the U.S. and Soviet Union.

Alliances helped. When Germany and Japan chose to rely on the United States rather than on nuclear weapons for protection, for instance, nations that felt threatened by Germany or Japan didn't have to build nukes either.

Also contributing were increased democratization; the weapons inspections and oversight of the International Atomic Energy Agency; bilateral negotiations, and timely application of military force.

"Iraq would have nuclear weapons today if we hadn't fought the Gulf War," Gallucci said.

But the chief reason so few nations went nuclear was that it was extremely difficult to manufacture the "fissile material" - enriched uranium or plutonium - required to make a nuclear bomb.

For years, whenever the CIA director was asked by a member of Congress how long it would take for Iran, Iraq, or North Korea to build a nuclear weapon, he would say, "about ten years," Gallucci said.

"It takes about nine years to build up the facilities [required to produce fissile material] from scratch, and another year to build an implosion device."

The correct answer now, Gallucci said, is: "I don't know, senator. They may have it already."

Russia's economic troubles have dramatically shortened the time required to build a nuclear bomb and made it more difficult for intelligence agencies to monitor nuclear weapons programs.

It takes fissile material about the size of a softball to build a nuclear bomb. There are thousands of tons of enriched uranium and plutonium in Russia, much of it poorly secured.

Worse, the Russian scientists who design nuclear weapons, the engineers who build them, and the soldiers who guard them are paid only sporadically, making them open to offers.

The facilities required to manufacture fissile material are large and require specialized equipment that is hard to hide from U.S. spy satellites. But once fissile material has been obtained, it's easier to conceal a bomb assembly plant.

President Clinton's decision to go forward, tentatively, with a ballistic missile defense program is in part a response to the rapidly expanding nuclear threat, and in part an effort to deprive Republicans of an issue in the next presidential election, Gallucci said. But the primary threat won't come from missiles, he predicted.

"Ships, planes and trucks are also good ways to deliver nuclear weapons. We don't have very good defenses against those, either. . . . If you want to sneak a nuclear weapon into the United States, hide it in a bale of marijuana."

Currently dean of the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., Gallucci also serves as U.S. special envoy on proliferation matters. He was deputy executive chairman of the U.N. inspection team in Iraq when it was created at the end of the Gulf War and chief U.S. negotiator on the Framework Agreement for dismantling North Korea's nascent nuclear weapons program.

7. I think you're right on here smokie...I have little faith in "our" government...but, I do have faith in the decision making abilities of Colin Powell, and I think Dick Cheney is pretty competent. I don't agree with their politics...just their reasoning abilities. "Our" president is merely a figurehead...and we are protected by congress on many different levels from his incompetence. Hopefully, the American public will not follow this man blindly any longer and realize they must tune him out...and listen to what Mr's. Powell and Cheney are saying and doing...it appears they are running our country at this point in time.

Peace,

8. Here's a scary thought to add. If the terrorist had attacked just one year earlier on September 11, 2000 we wouldn't have Dick Cheyney, John Ashcroft or Colin Powell on CNN every night discussing how the world is going to fight terrorism. We would be looking at Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Janet Reno, and Madeline Albright to protect us all.

Say what you want about GWB, but I feel better with his staff in place rather than if the Clinton gang was still in power.

9. I agree Big Poppa ,

I didn't vote for him. But I like ,his proposal to end terrorism .
    I am not even nearly convinced ,that what he proposes is at all possible. I am backing him 100% tho.

The scope of his plan is just too incredibly huge . Almost as huge as saying you're going to wipe out the entire Islamic religion .Ethnic Cleansing ? And I do 'not' feel that the U.S. has the support necessary to carry it out.

The fear of military action against me would not concern me if I were a terrorist .

In the US we are all ,consciously or unconsciously looking for the "second wave". I expect it probably will be biological ,and probably on a community level ,water source ,school ,stock exchange.....something like that. I do expect it to occur in either America or Great Britian within this year.

It concerns me that my predictions have turned out to be pretty much right so far.

As long as men choose to blame 'gods' for their actions/misfortunes/blessings ,there will be no peace.

Humans are one of the very few species that prey on their own.

Americans will forget. They will become complacent in their affluence and apathy . And that will leave the door open just enough for the next psychotic religious fanatic .

roach

F.Y.I.
    The NBA donated 1 million towards disaster victim relief. (Shack/Jordan could have donated that much themselves.) But "all" donations of money/goods/services help so very much. Even if it's just a hug.:)
    Professional baseball donated 5 Million.
    Microsoft 10 million..........and more.

I just lost my governor . Ridge was appointed to a newly created position concerning domestic security/defense. He is an excellent choice . I guess he wont be replying to the letter I sent him regarding Decriminalization of marijuana ,but for now...........thats ok.

still roach

10. I don't think it's possible to eliminate every terroist cell in the world. But I believe if they target the various training camps in the Middle East as well as the infrastructure, support, and economic backing, the U.S. may be able to effectively declaw the beast.

11. Thx for that interesting post SJ, it has made me think a little harder on this subject.

Mickey.T