The word “cannabis”

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by MellowStoner, Jul 24, 2021.

1. I find it interesting that it’s always called “cannabis” at the dispensaries, and when referring to it for legislation, etc. I don’t see it called “weed” , “bud” or even “marijuana” that much.

Wonder why this is? Is it that “cannabis” has a supposedly more respectable or affluent connotation? Personally, I never call it cannabis. It’s weed, pot, or bud in my world.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I call it bud too, only cannabis if it's in a formal sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I call it bud too, only cannabis if it's in a formal sense.

• Like Like x 3
  4. The scientific name for both "marijuana" and hemp is Cannabis sativa. (They are NOT "cousins" like so many reporters claim. The difference between hemp and "marijuana" is like the difference between a red rose and a white rose where one produces red pigment and the other doesn't).

The words "weed", "pot", "bud" and "marijuana" are all just slang terms for Cannabis. "Marijuana" is falling out of favor because it is a government-promoted term meant to increase racial tension in the 1930s.

THE LEGEND OF THE HOT TAMALE PEDDLER: What the Newspapers were saying. (USA)
    (news –1929-1940) Myths and Legends from the Reefer Madness Era -- Hot Tamale

Marijuana, Assassin of Youth - by H. J. Anslinger. (USA) (full – 1937)
    Marijuana - Assassin of Youth

The dispensaries are trying to bring cannabis out of the sleazy, black market world, and into the respectable world of science and medicine! Slang terms are OK for a user, but dispensaries are a business, (and it's a business that crosses into medical territory) and they should act like one!

Many of the other terms for cannabis were just ways to talk about something "forbidden" without raising suspicion. Those slang terms are just the latest slang and may fade away in time. As an example of dead slang, "buying a lid" of cannabis is one once popular term that has "died" since I was a young hippie.

Here's more about the subject of cannabis slang.

Here’s What People Called Pot in the 1940s. (news – 2015)
    Here's What People Called Pot in the 1940s

The Evolution of Cannabis Slang Terminology. (news – 2018)
    The Evolution of Cannabis Slang Terminology | Civilized

The DEA’s list of drug slang is hilarious and bizarre. (news – 2017)
    The DEA’s list of drug slang is hilarious and bizarre

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. We high flutin potheads need something that sounds nice. Watch out for that dirty fingernail crowd.

6. The early days the "Lids" I bought were a full 5 fingers and just $10.00.
    Mexican Dirt Sativa. More stems and seeds then actual smokable material but it did the job just fine.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I remember “lids” from Cheech n Chong movies but have never known what amount it was. We need to bring that back. Maaaaan.

8. Depending on where you live, there are all kinds of regulations on names and advertising. I assume that's the majority of it. In my area the names of all dispensaries changed once the legislation was on the books.

• Like Like x 1
  9. What gets me is that people used to spell it “marihuana,” though I understand “marijuana” is correct. However, there’s a lot of racist history behind the term, so some people prefer the term “cannabis” for that reason.

I just call it weed anyway. Or “the good stuff.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Oh :) it goes by color here.

Green
    Brown
    Black

I think this is common for the three scandinavian countries(cant tell you about the finns)

To me the word cannabis is not a common thing to say here either..if its in the media its always HASHPLANT/ NARCOTICSPLANT / DRUGPLANT!

Them journalists...

• Like Like x 1
  11. I just say “weed” and throw a long Chong like “maaaaaan” behind it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Marihuana is wild Mexican tobacco ! part of the Nicotiana / solanaceae family
    marijuana with an J is Gov created word to control cannabis plant with regulations, right after alcohol stopped being prohibited and enforcers in the Gov were looking for work ...
    easy- search = Phylum of marijuana / Clade etc..... There is zero taxonomical data for a plant with that name
    Cannabis is an herbaceous flowering angiosperm plant species in the Cannabaceae family .. 4 chemotypes exist - cannabis sativa, cannabis indica, cannabis ruderalis, cannabis afghanica ... all sub types are from those main 4 . with Cannabinoid science we term the compounds and molecules in cannabis plant ( lipids/terpenes) cannabinoids , phytocannabinoids to be exact ...

This would not really matter that much for most people however there are laws in place that say cannabis becomes " marijuana" when THC-a is created on the plant ... and " hemp " ( which is Ruderalis BTW) that has less than 1% THC-a and mostly CBD-a is well, Hemp ...
    I've asked any one to try and find taxonomy data to show how a cannabis plant can become a marijuana plant and nothing, stumped , just in halls of parliament is that a thing ... there ain't no botany in politics

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. This guy/gal gets it. ^^^^^^^^^……^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. we are still being treated like its 1937 and the only news available is the Sunday news edition made to control wherever and whomever with whatever narrative is desired ... we have info at our fingertips now and can find truth easier etc.... while doing actual biochemistry research into cannabis and how we found an endocannabinoid system in man, " marijuana " does not fit into that in any way . I'll go our onto a cannabis limb here and state that Cannabis plant is not even illegal ! Marijuana is ! LOL , and with actual science we cannot even prove a [plant with that name exists, cannabis does , with all the actual taxonomy to prove it etc.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I really don’t use the term much if at all because of the racial tone and I’m too lazy to type it out. It’s crazy that is not scientifically accurate but appears in legal situations all the time. It’s catchy in headlines too, even when it’s about legalization of the plant.

• Like Like x 1