The war on drugs has failed...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Blimmer, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I think legalization may be coming sooner than I thought. Here in the US, we're not going to have a choice before long but to legalize. The status quo just will not suffice. Too many people are demanding change. It's getting harder and harder to seat a jury here in the South for drug charges, especially for mj possession. If you can't seat a jury to prosecute people for a certain "crime", then there's no point in arresting those people.

2. The prohibition is the real problem, as usual.
    Any "war on drugs" will be a dismal failure.
    Or maybe every "war on drugs" will be a dismal failure.

Either way, wars on drugs are bound to be dismal failures.
    Except in that some people make lots of money during those wars. But seeing as how that is not the stated intent behind the wars on drugs, I think they must still be considered as dismal failures from the viewpoint of the average citizen, surely.

Prohibition laws are evil.

3. Hey pearl, thats an interesting thought. what if they can't seat enough jurors to prosecute "potcrimes?" That's when they ammend the constitution to suit their wants. The nazi pigs would decide FOR US that "WE" do not need a panel of our peers to decide our fate.

4. If that ever happened, there would be another civil war. They don't want that. What happened in Wisconsin would look like a family reunion compared to what would happen if they tried to take away our right to a fair trial. There are many who believe that it is jury nullification that will finally end prohibition. If the people stop viewing drug use as a crime, and then refuse to sit on a jury to prosecute someone for a crime they believe does not exist, prohibition could not exist.

That's why it is so important to educate people about prohibition, what it really stands for, and how legalization could save hundreds of thousands of lives, and trillions of dollars. People need to stop living in the past, and stop shaming drug users for their choices. It's a health care issue, and a social issue, but it is not a crime. The shame should lie with the ones building privatized prisons, and those getting disgustingly rich for filling their cages with drug users.

5. The drug war never failed. It is doing exactly what it was meant for. The ones who profit from the war on drugs shall see it continues sure enough as the sun rises and falls. Mediocre living FTW.

6. Very true, it's pretty messed up they can prohibit anything really. Especially a plant. What people do with their lives is their own business. Provided they don't infringe on another's ability to do the same.

Hah, touche. Good point because this is true as well. Sure we are wasting lots of TAXPAYER money, but there is money to be made in the war on drugs. Thus lies the problem, a huge money web comes tumbling down after they legalize.

Mainly, I think we just have to wait it out. Once the older generations, the one's that were subject to a lifetime of propaganda, are out of power and the new generations come in, then we will have legalization.

7. I really do find this interesting, just so ya know I was'nt being sarcastic. In all I've read, I have not heard this angle, somehow missed the memo. What if they could not seat a jury? I would be VERY curious to see what would happen. That's why I siad they would alter the constitution to suit them. I just can't imagine, with all the money at stake, that they would give in very easily. We're talking about millions upon millions of dollars at stake in the form of political contributions (bribes). Imagine, you or I are notified of jury duty and find out upon the questioning of jurors, that someone is being prosecuted for growing a few plants in their home. Heck, it would be tempting to stay on and give your firm vote of not guilty just to try and help the poor guy or gal. Obviously though, the greater good would be served by making yourself a non-desireable juror to help make these types of trials unseatable. I'm not sure exactly how this works but I think you can't just refuse to be a juror. Either the prosecution or defense has to deem you unseatable. So during questioning by attorneys, you would tell them that "hey, I'm for marijuana de-criminalization and I'm just gonna give a verdict of not guilty" or something of that nature. Very interesting.

8. Well a lot of what I say is talking out my ass from personal experience but from my knowledge if you were going to straight up not convict based on your bias for pot they just wont seat you on that trial, hell they might just get a biased jury to convict the bastard and be done with it.

On a side note it really is amazing the amount of businesses that profit from keeping the drugs illegal. I mean if I was on the upper hand of our government I sure as hell wouldn't want drugs legal.

9. sooner or later it will be legal...only until the 20th century did all this become an issue

10. ^ Still it's not about what the government wants. It's about what the people want. What is a government without people to govern. Bottom Line: They are there to serve the people, and alas we have been duped and failed.

11. Our government is about what the rich and powerful want. Its foolish to think it has anything to do about the people in a two-party system.

Currently marijuana prohibition is more profitable for the rich and powerful so thats whats gonna be, unless so major shit gets stirred up

12. Yeah smoker, it's a sad state of affairs no doubt. It's just the government is going agianst the will of the people, I believe the term used for this is dictatorship. I understand why they want to keep mj illegal but it does'nt make it right. To get this beast you have to cut off the head. This entails far more than just mj legislation, alot more would be made right as well, if ya could just find the freak'in head.

13. And again you are right if it were not for the people the government would not survive. A good quote that really at this point in our history doesn't matter anymore is
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." but with that being said I don't believe there is a line anymore. The government blatantly disregards guidelines and rules and now I am just going to sit back and watch it all burn and crumble tyranny FTW.

14. That's precisely how it's done, lemmis. The defense and the prosecution get the opportunity to question potential jurors. If they don't like the answers they get from that potential juror, they can ask that they be dismissed. If they have to dismiss everyone, because they all refuse to find a drug user guilty, then they cannot seat a jury. If they cannot seat a jury, they cannot prosecute, and the accused is free to go. Jury Nullification is one of our most neglected rights because most people simply don't know about it. Tell all your friends and family to look it up. ;)

15. No if you want to pay off the debt in which your talking about you going to have
    1)pull out of the mid east, even if there is only a limited amount of oil left spending the amount of money to get it in the long run is not worth it.

2)Eliminate the fed reserve from printing money in which we have nothing to back it up with or in other words stop the elite bankers from devaluing our dollar and essentially raping our country.

3)Eliminate one of the biggest wastes of money our drug war which we all acknowledge only profits the rich.

But to sum it up if you haven't figured it out already CAPITALISM does not and will not ever work because one of the earliest lessons I ever learned is that in a capitalist society the rich get richer, and the poor become poorer. I owe that one to monopoly:D

16. I'm not an american but that federal reserves worries me so much.. how can something like that go on, its so obvious its going to bankrupt everyone how the fuck do people just let that shit happen.