The ups and downs of awakening...

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by thabosshogg, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I wanted to type this up for anyone who ever feels distressed, down, or like they've hit a brick wall in their journey. I only recently felt this way regarding a matter that has been more challenging for me to grasp than any other so far.

First off, don't worry! It happens to every single one of us...

Just when you think you've made a huge leap in consciousness, you discover that you know far less than you thought. You master one aspect of yourself only to find another conundrum awaiting you.

It is not rare to feel despair, to feel as though you are regressing along the path. In fact, it is necessary. For you will see in time that every period of distress leads you to a new truth and further development, even if it feels you have fallen behind. Depression is not uncommon... though it never lasts long, in fact it is usually quite short lived. And if you but look back on your life years ago you will see that your downfalls now surpass even the greatest moments of your prior life.

If you have made any progress in awakening at all you find you are well equipped to face every obstacle that comes your way. Often times obstacles remind us of truths we once learned that we had forgotten in learning more complex truths, like a musician who forgets a basic, yet fundamental musical scale while learning complex music theory. Or perhaps they teach us something that we need to learn, but would not have the motivation or knowledge to do so otherwise.

For how would we ever grow if we did not see faults in ourselves? If we did not see how little we actually know there would be no reason to progress...

The further down the path you get, the more challenging the obstacles are which you must face. The necessary understanding becomes more paradoxical and complex. That which you once thought was enlightenment turns out to be but the first step in a long flight of stairs. Don't ever worry, your higher self is always there to guide you, to comfort you and help you through the most difficult trials, seeing as you trust it and are open to its guidance. And with every fall we take, we get up with more strength and knowledge than before. For though the knowledge is more complex as time goes on, so are your abilities and willpower even stronger than before.

You may ask, "How do I deal with this despair that I will never reach enlightenment? That I am misguided and have regressed on the path?".

Seperate yourself from the bad feelings, accept your faults, and let the lesson teach itself to you. Watch the bad feelings from afar and understand that they have no power over you, simply allow them to exist. It may take a few minutes, a few hours, a few days, sometimes a few weeks, but when the truth dawns upon you you will be soaring again. For we all know that every moment of despair is ever so short compared to the vast majority of the time we spend in bliss. Trust your higher self and understand that every single thing is perfectly in place, to help you grow and to teach you. Many of us have spent but a few years, or even months seeking spiritual truth.... and what amazing progress each of us has already made! Never forget how far you have come, and how far you have to go!

Always be humble, yet confident, and grateful of your progress, though never arrogant. There is always more to learn, and oftentimes the only way to learn is through mistakes and discouragement. Remember, allow life to happen, open yourself up to your higher self and to the spirit, and every answer you need will be yours. Do not try too hard, do not desire to be enlightened, for this will not help you. Only let it happen, do not force it. Remember, you never regress, only progress, even though your progress may seem static at times...

:)

2. Beautiful post bosshogg!!! :smoke:

3. I will be sharing this. Great write

4. One thing I have learnt about this constant awakening of consciousness is NEVER doubt yourself. Not for you not for anyone. Never. Never doubt yourself unless God is involved and receive his message of certainty. As Salaam Alaikum

5. You can be depressed before awakening and will be depressed after awakening. The difference is you are aware and do not associate depression with "I".

6. Thanks!

:wave:

I hope this helps some people who are feeling down and need someone to remind them that it's all ok.

7. I wrote a poem discussing this very topic maybe two nights ago...

Maybe you have tried mushrooms or even smoking weed. If you notice, as we are all vibration, everything comes in waves.

When you're riding high on that wave you feel great, but the wave always come's back down. The same goes with enlightenment. As of right now we are transitioning to a higher frequency and the length in between these waves are getting shorter and shorter.

2 steps forward 1 step back... always making progess, always with purpose.

In lak esh

8. Aint that the truth

Great post bosshogg. Pretty helpful

9. This stuff is really hard, it all "slips away" so easily. What I thought yesterday is not what I think today, and what might seem like absolute truth in one moment, so easily shifts into something else. Thank you for posting this, it might just have given me some more courage and will to explore the depts of myself and reality more.

10. #10 thabosshogg, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
    I'm glad you guys enjoyed reading this.

Another thing that I felt like I should add, and that I needed reminding of today, is to never take yourself too seriously. Oftentimes this hinders you more than it helps you. Remember that life is a beautiful gift, and it should be treated as such. Treat your practices and lifestyle with respect, but do it in a lighthearted way.

11. Me too.

12. Great thread man. The small downs are ALWAYS followed by a greater up, in my experience. These small times of confusion, lack of clarity and depressed mood (all of which are transient) occur to teach us lessons, always. Perhaps we WERE taking ourselves too seriously. Perhaps we weren't being serious ENOUGH, and we needed to invest a little more effort into the health and happiness of our lives. No matter what it is, it is part of the cycle.

And I thought that was great about what someone above me mentioned, as you raise your vibrations, your ups and downs may come quicker. In other words as you open yourself more and more to the boundless, and release more and more of your small self, you experience more and more love. But along with this new gift of expanded freedom and love comes a catch - since you now know it exists, you are keenly aware every time that it is not present anymore.

What these "shadow" phases allow you to do is confront, head on, whatever misunderstanding or misconception you are holding onto that is keeping you back from expanding your love and being to the whole universe.

So next time you get a down feeling , SEPARATE your "self" from your feelings. In other words, know that these feelings are simply arising. Not to a certain self, but just arising, just like the waves on the ocean. They are not arising in a "person", just arising (or appearing to at least). Stand back from them and be assured knowing that there is certainly a lesson here that to be learned if you let it. Instead of sinking into terrible depression and feeding our negative thoughts or feelings (what you focus and dwell is amplified btw), identifying with the feelings and this story of our lives, if we just stand back and see the rollercoaster as it is completely, with its tumultuous drops and uphill coasts alike, then we can separate ourselves and still maintain some inner peace.

So even if you are feeling down, and you feel these emotions, you really can't just shake them off right away. You may need to endure until the root of the problem is found out and moved past. But as long as you are not identified with the emotions, then you can appreciate the fullness of life, the eternal inseparability of yin and yang, the rhythms of the dark shade and the storms but then the beauty of the fresh spring and radiant warmth that follows. It's all cycles, and what we need to learn is to enjoy the whole rotation of the circle, not just half of the ride.

(sorry I tend to go on and on when I'm :smoke:) Great post man! Consider my post a co-sign :)

13. enlightened to me - he who lives in the present moment

14. OP your post seems to be similar to Logotherapy, and this book; Man's Search for Meaning. I find it truly beautiful and remarkable how such things seem to coincide or even be the same thing, but, from different perspectives. They all fit in the same hole.

Amazing post.

15. biump :wave:

i have only read the title so far but i know what you mean

16. Beautifully written...thanks for a great post! Wonderful advice and exactly what I needed to hear, getting ready to start another week on the grindstone. Thanks again :)

17. Yay!

I'm glad it helped!

:smoke:

18. This has helped me as Ive been going through a hard time lately. :)

19. Glad to hear it helped man!

Best of luck. I know you'll get through it and come out of it even stronger than before...

20. This.

Your post couldn't have come at a better time man. I love the synchronicity yet again. :)