Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Union and legalizing

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by mandrews9167, Sep 15, 2011.

1. I wanted to post this in the apprentice section because I do not believe many people have seen the documentary on marijuana The Union, which I just watched. To be honest I have never really viewed marijuana as being bad and I love to smoke it as medicine/pleasure. It is an amazing plant that should be legalized (yeah I know that everyone here says the same thing), but why is it taking so long to do so? It seems like we never get closer to the goal of legalizing, yet pour money into keeping it illegal. Hell the only candidate now for presidency that stands strongly by the legalization of Marijuana (Ron Paul) seems to be pushed under by the media to seem like he is far behind in the race for candidacy. This is almost to the point where he doesn't seem like he has a chance from a viewer of the media's standpoint, and without Ron Paul I don't think we can get marijuana legalized any time soon. I honestly thought if we could have that strong backing of Ron Paul that we could finally have this amazing plant back to its legal state and the laws of this country reversed...but sadly even me being 18 I am not sure if I will live to see the day that this happens...I guess I'll just keep being a criminal in society by taking advantage of a natural substance that doesn't harm, but help me.

Does anyone else feel this way? Do you ever think we will see the day where we can finally stop this war on marijuana?

tl;dr The Union documentary is must see, legalize weed, Ron paul to legalize but might not have the chance, won't live to see the day, can we finally make this plant legal?

2. well live to see it man its bound to happen

3. It will die out eventually with the old generations

4. I want to be that optimistic too, but people have been saying that for half a century now and still nothing, its almost depressing....so depressing I think Im gone go cheer myself up by lighting a bowl. :smoke:

5. It will be legalized, sooner than later. With 13 states now allowing medical use and a number of others decriminalizing or lowering punishments to ticket only offenses the mindset is beginning to change. Trust me, things are a lot different now than they were 20 years ago.

Sure Ron Paul's support in the white house would be great. But realistically, he will always be an also ran type of guy. While he has more support now than he did in 2008, the mainstream media still snubs him and conventional politicians dismiss him as a cult icon rather than a politician.

Legalization propositions for the 2012 elections are in the works for a few states already. California came close in 2010 in a non presidential year. Presidential election years always bring in a higher percentage of the voting population, who would also be voting on legalization and medical issues in states where the propositions make it to the ballots.

For full legalization to be come a fact rather than a wish in the minds of marijuana proponents, the issue needs more support. First it needs support from the people who already feel passionately. I am sure quite a few people who agree that it should be legalized dont even bother to vote. We as a public need to take an initiative to encourage those people to go vote. Secondly, support will have to increase in the percentage of the population that do not use or care about the benefits of marijuana. This will only be achieved through lobbying to those groups of people and educating them on the true benefits of legalization. The downside to that is the fact that because of a stereotype and spreading of false information by our governments and education system, it is hard to change the minds of people who have been told their entire life that marijuana is bad, evil, or just plain wrong.

If you want legalization, support groups like NORML. Use google and find your state representatives and tell them how you feel. Have anyone you know that agrees with legalization to do the same. When it comes time to vote, find out your representatives stance on the issue before going to the ballot box. Eventually, the tides will turn my friend.

6. See I have thought that too, but look at what generation has and will be taking office, people that were in their teens and early 20's during the whole hippie movement...and yet still no step forward to getting a legalization.

7. Yes, but the people that were actually hippies back then arent making it in to office. Politics is a life long game. Even then hippies were dismissed as outcast from the norm of society. They dont work and live in the close knit circles of people you need to know to become a successful politician.

8. Hopefully will see medical marijuana pass in Florida in 2012 now that you mention this, I will definitely be voting and encouraging others.

I really do reach out towards my representatives about this, but to be honest I do not think they care much for the legalization of marijuana nation wide, or at the least allowing for medical marijuana in Florida.

9. I hope you do man. With 13 states leading the way, I think we are beginning to see viewpoints change. States can now look at mmj states as examples of what the program can really accomplish rather than relying on outdated studies from a government that has had a monopoly on research for the past 50 years or so. It is harder to justify the argument that mmj will cause the state to go to hell so to speak when states like Colorado have seen great benefits from the program.

States will begin to see the tax benefits eventually as well. In a society that is already taxed to death, people are to the point where they just don't want to take any more. Politicians will never stop wanting more and more money, so in a way maybe the greed of government will benefit our cause in the end.

They will eventually. Youre right though right now most of them dont care. I am a bit north of you smack in the good old bible belt. I guarantee my state will be one of the last to pass anything like mmj. We need more support, and it is growing slowly but surely. One day they wont be able to ignore the issue.

10. Write this shit to your representative...Although, I don't think The Union will suddenly spark some shred of common sense in what has essentially been a perfect example of a disasterous democracy. Fuck, study after study after study after study hasn't convinced these people differently and you really expect a documentary that is indeed bias in its view to change their minds.

Good luck, champ, you're gonna need it.:cool:

11. [quote name='"mandrews9167"']
    Hopefully will see medical marijuana pass in Florida in 2012 now that you mention this, I will definitely be voting and encouraging others.

I really do reach out towards my representatives about this, but to be honest I do not think they care much for the legalization of marijuana nation wide, or at the least allowing for medical marijuana in Florida.[/quote]

A huge problem I see is Rick Scott in the governors mansion. I'm pessimistic that he would sign any kind of marijuana law, medical or otherwise. There just isn't any money in it for his corporate overlords.