The Trinity

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by mrblonde77, May 16, 2007.

1. Now the Trinity has always perplexed me. Catholics (christians? I'm not sure if all christians believe it.) call themselves Monotheists meaning they believe in ONE God. How can they subdivide this God into 3 "parts" yet the God remains 1. My religion teacher used to say how it's THREE in ONE. They're each fully god individually, but they're not 3 gods, it's only 1. I'm curious as to see other Christians explain this. I don't understand.

2. im havnt been a member of this forum very long
    but
    im pretty sure that ur not gonna find many christians opinions here

i teribly sorry if im wrong

3. I know some people who have a lot more than 3 faces.

4. You know...Newton was an anti-Trinitarian... He also corrected some biblical errors. I guess he can't get everything right, though. Just a fun fact, courtesy of NOVA.

5. *sigh* Christianity is full of lies, untruths, contradictions and downright bullshit. I make no apolgies, because it's the fucking truth. Don't bother trying to udnerstand the shit. It's all based on ignorance and control, that's all it really boils down to.

6. looks like a glitch in the system. its a waste of energy to try and figure it out.

7. there really is no way to explain the trinity. being a christian, im going to say that im not sure how the trinity works, but i will say that it is just another example of how awesome god is.

i mean think about it. god is so mind-blowingly awesome that he is able to exist in three different forms. another thing i might add is that once you personally experience what the trinity has to offer, then the big questions wont really matter. it just feels "right".

8. There is no way to explain the Trinity because it makes little sense, unless you try (delude yourself into finding meaning where none is) really, really hard. It was also a concept that was invented long after the Gospels were written, and the term (and what it apparently means) does not appear in the Bible at all.

9. I was hoping this was a thread about the Trinity river near Humboldt... Just rafted that river...

10. hehehe thats cool man. i gotta say i dig the alien pic. k+.

11. Ok here is my callously atheistic and mostly tongue-in-cheek take on the issue you raise. Consider your... ahem... meat and two veg... The package can be clearly subdivided into 3 "parts". However, the three parts sum up to one whole 'package', the holiest of trinities so to speak, and the absence of any one of the three parts would bring about a ruinous state (sorry to those of you who have had accidents jumping fences and the like). Now to extend this analogy, lets consider the reason why the Trinity can be considered monotheistic: using my previous analogy, there are three distinct parts that form a package deal, but if you are experiencing any sort of intimate relations, neither you nor your partner get particularly concerned or annoyed if the 'veg' touches where the 'meat' is supposed to go. Each portion of the package is holy and worthy of praise in its own regard, but when you 'pray' to one of them you are essentially praying to all of them.

Haha, I just reread what I wrote and I must say, its pretty crude. Sorry about that :D

12. crude? no, that was very well said. that was a great analogy! *applauds*

13. I never really got the Trinity. It says so many times throughout the bible that God is one. One being, "The LORD, our GOD, is one." The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost are all in God. He is all of that. Its like saying I have 3 cars but one automobile. I am one person but I act differently in different situations but I am still one person.... I don't give names to those different ways I act. Sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense :)

14. no it makes sense. thats a very good comparison. though, the trinity is much more than what we as human beings can even comprehend. i believe we almost dont even have the capability to begin to fathom exactly how it works.

15. The thing that gets me is when they say They're all individually WHOLLY God but together they're only ONE God. My dick isn't my entire package. The point is, it's a catch 22 and can't possibly be correct, unless you just accept it on faith, which we all know isn't based on reason.

16. I thought that they *weren't* each wholly god, but all of them ARE God. Therefore, it the concept of the God of Abraham is inherently a polytheistic beleif.

I could be wrong, I don't follow christian theology that closely.

17. It seems Mrblonde doesn't know the real meaning of The Trinity.

18. Please do explain then

19. Then explain the trinity using the Bible. I still have yet to find anywhere in the bible where it explains the Trinity.

20. You will not find anything in the Bible explaining the Trinity. :)