The Theist Lounge

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Verdurous, Aug 5, 2012.

1. It is just a matter of perspective, super natural claims should never be accepted should a lack of evidence be present. Only when it is absolutely the explanation should one accept it. It most certainly almost never is.

Think of me as Mister Devils Advocate, when one side is being misrepresented I jump in to assist.

2. I believe that God is more properly described as a verb rather than a being, if that makes sense.

Being a Jew, I subscribe to the kabbalistic conception of God as the non-dual reality that sits just behind the veil of humanity, normally out of reach but always available if we allow Him to be

3. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']I believe that God is more properly described as a verb rather than a being, if that makes sense.

Being a Jew, I subscribe to the kabbalistic conception of God as the non-dual reality that sits just behind the veil of humanity, normally out of reach but always available if we allow Him to be[/quote]

Yeah I feel sorta the same as that, but have a sense that we can't totally be in/with God in this world, though, the message or feeling of God is available to accept or reject always,

What exactly is the non dual reality?

4. The non-dual reality is God, in the strictest sense- it extends beyond notions of right and wrong; of hot and cold; of good and evil. It is both timeless (existing outside of time) and without time in the sense that there is no progression. It just is, and always has been, and always will be.

It is the reality that mystics touch upon when they're "caught up in the third heaven," like Paul described. In mystical Judaism we call it the "heavenly Garden of Eden," a place where only perfection exists: a place where only God exists.

I think we can only glimpse this reality. We can't stay in it except for fleetingly, as God told Moses "no man can see My Face and yet live." We glimpse it through techniques of rapture: meditation, mystical dance and song, breathing techniques, fasting, psychedelics, and all manner of techniques man has used since the beginning to commune with the Divine.

We are but shells which hold a spark of the Divine. As we go through life seeking for God to reveal Himself, and seeking to reveal Him to the world, we gather these sparks, and are better able to glimpse that non-dual reality in greater and greater detail each time we are given the privilege to do so.

5. [quote name='"dankydankk"']You see I don't see my belief as truth/right, but I'm not agnostic because I absolutely believe in a Creator, I know its not fact, and I have an omnistic and really panetheistic view on God,

I'm Catholic and a Christian overall, but like studying other faiths other than Christianity probably more so than studying Bible,

Science effects my beliefs just as much as a holy book aswell,[/quote]

you should look into deism.

6. actually now that i've read through multiple posts you should all look into deism. the complexity of the universe shows to me their must be some kind of force greater than our understanding. just the way nature coexists in an ecosystem is unbelievable. do a quick google search and find out what deism is all about. i think its the best form of theism since it hasn't been raped by organized religions underlying intentions. did you know that many of the founding fathers were deist? deism just kinda makes sense to me and thats why i like it. lol

7. As I grow older I've moved closer to Theism.

Was an atheist until 21, an agnostic until 31, and from then on due to personal experiences became Theist.

I don't think religion is the next step. It has too much of man's greasy fingerprints to be fully trusted.

I do cherry pick religions from time to time for certain motivational concepts.

8. Organized religion is so depraved.... The Pope sits in a castle while thousands starve to death daily. The Supreme Governor of the Church of England's literally a damn queen, of the most wealthy kingdom in the world. Yet throwing together a soup kitchen counts as genuine charity? :rolleyes: Frustrating...

9. Organized religion's always been pretty fucked up. Millions of people blindly following anything a few influential figure heads tell them without questioning anything. I'm sure most of them were started with good intentions, but then some people saw the potential for power and fucked it all up.

10. Sounds eerily similar to government and politics when you put it that way. lol

11. [quote name='"KenjaminK"']

Sounds eerily similar to government and politics when you put it that way. lol[/quote]

Haha true, true.

12. I used to be an atheist when I was 12-15, but all for the wrong reasons. I was the typical 'angstheist' who only turned away from God as a negative reaction to Christianity. You know the type, who uses the Crusades as the biggest argument against religion. Then when I was turning 16, my mental disorders started to appear, and my view on life got flipped over. Found myself studying Eastern faith's, namely Taoism and Buddhism. The Tao Te Ching changed my entire perspective on God and spirituality. I found connection with the idea of a more abstract idea of God, being an all-encompassing force. We all have God within us. Prayer isn't talking to a force beyond us, it's a form of meditation, turning ourselves inwards to find peace, hope, or solace. God, as I see it, is the force that created life. All life comes from him, so all life has that direct connection within itself. If we want to learn of these truths, we must focus within us, use ourselves as this tool to reveal the larger truth. I see rationality and logic as ideas influenced by this God, and should be used to better ourselves as living organisms, and preserve the natural order of life, keep it going.

I study all kinds of religions, faiths, and philosophies. I'm very fascinated with the Baha'i Faith. Was active within local communities, but sort of lost my touch. I don't share the belief in an Abrahamic concept of God, but their teachings on unity and peace... I find it so progressive. That Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, Guatama Buddha, The Bab, Baha'u'llah... they are all prophets, all inspired by this God, and sent down to reveal more of the truth as our civilization becomes capable of comprehending and using this knowledge for good. I suggest anyone to look into the faith, it studies multiple religions. Very refreshing outlook on life.

Probably my biggest belief is that I will never devote myself to one organized religion. I believe I will gain wisdom as I age and experience life, not soak up dogma and devote myself to one perspective. I do believe that all these religions and faiths guide their followers to that same point of unity and oneness with God, that they all teach humans to be good and protect life. They are just... adjusted for the culture and civilization at that area during that time. I believe when it comes to Organized religion, it is man himself who deviates from the teachings in order to use it for control and power. Perfect example is a quote a teacher taught us concerning the Spanish Conquest's reasons: "Religion the pretext, Gold the motive". It's a shame that religions have become so hostile towards one another. Why not unite under the very basic principles found in EVERY faith? I do applaud the sense of community these religions bring. I don't applaud how tall they build their walls.

I think I'm becoming a little long-winded, I just enjoy expressing my own beliefs and reflecting upon them. I find it centering.

13. Thiest lounge, didn't know we had one lol..
    so how many believer's??? or Christians??

i know the atheist out number us by alot on this site.

14. I very much support this thread. Yes, I'm an atheist and I won't post in here again, but I think it's good for the forum. Too often we get theists pop into the atheist lounge and they are never wanted. We all need a place to get away from the discussions and occasional negativity to discuss things with like minded individuals. I do hope my fellow atheists remain out of this thread as much as I wish for theists to stay out of the atheist lounge. KenjaminK, you deserve mad rep for creating this. I think it will be beneficial to these forums.

15. Sorry to say I will break my own vow not to post more than once, but I just noticed that it took a troll to revive this thread. Come on theists, these forums need more intelligent people from the faith perspective.

16. [quote name='"Bipolar Bear"']I used to be an atheist when I was 12-15, but all for the wrong reasons. I was the typical 'angstheist' who only turned away from God as a negative reaction to Christianity. You know the type, who uses the Crusades as the biggest argument against religion. Then when I was turning 16, my mental disorders started to appear, and my view on life got flipped over. Found myself studying Eastern faith's, namely Taoism and Buddhism. The Tao Te Ching changed my entire perspective on God and spirituality. I found connection with the idea of a more abstract idea of God, being an all-encompassing force. We all have God within us. Prayer isn't talking to a force beyond us, it's a form of meditation, turning ourselves inwards to find peace, hope, or solace. God, as I see it, is the force that created life. All life comes from him, so all life has that direct connection within itself. If we want to learn of these truths, we must focus within us, use ourselves as this tool to reveal the larger truth. I see rationality and logic as ideas influenced by this God, and should be used to better ourselves as living organisms, and preserve the natural order of life, keep it going.

I study all kinds of religions, faiths, and philosophies. I'm very fascinated with the Baha'i Faith. Was active within local communities, but sort of lost my touch. I don't share the belief in an Abrahamic concept of God, but their teachings on unity and peace... I find it so progressive. That Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, Guatama Buddha, The Bab, Baha'u'llah... they are all prophets, all inspired by this God, and sent down to reveal more of the truth as our civilization becomes capable of comprehending and using this knowledge for good. I suggest anyone to look into the faith, it studies multiple religions. Very refreshing outlook on life.

Probably my biggest belief is that I will never devote myself to one organized religion. I believe I will gain wisdom as I age and experience life, not soak up dogma and devote myself to one perspective. I do believe that all these religions and faiths guide their followers to that same point of unity and oneness with God, that they all teach humans to be good and protect life. They are just... adjusted for the culture and civilization at that area during that time. I believe when it comes to Organized religion, it is man himself who deviates from the teachings in order to use it for control and power. Perfect example is a quote a teacher taught us concerning the Spanish Conquest's reasons: "Religion the pretext, Gold the motive". It's a shame that religions have become so hostile towards one another. Why not unite under the very basic principles found in EVERY faith? I do applaud the sense of community these religions bring. I don't applaud how tall they build their walls.

I think I'm becoming a little long-winded, I just enjoy expressing my own beliefs and reflecting upon them. I find it centering.[/quote]

Hey sorry didnt read whole post pretty tired but whatis buddhism like?

17. i believe there is something else, both an internal and external, that exist in unison but not necessarily in harmony. i believe in patience and growth. as to any specifics i have none. metaphors, on the other hand...

18. There is but one reality and nothing can exist outside of the reality. All forms that appear to be must have flowed from it and will one day flow back into it.

19. Id categorize myself as a Deist if I had to.

Edit: /theist

20. #40 Krementz, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012

I am glad you have figured out a way to feel superior to both sides of the spectrum OP, you are still looking at things from a creationist standpoint, I am an atheist and deny religion because of lack of evidence, if REAL evidence is presented then perhaps I would believe, rather than being forced to believe because I have a sword at my throat. You provide absolutely no scientific proof, which strips your credibility and makes you looks arrogant. Your obviously not educated on the idea of redshift are you? Do you even know what redshift is???