The Story of Stuff

Discussion in 'Politics' started by H2O420, Sep 24, 2009.

1. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8"]YouTube - Story of Stuff, Full Version; How Things Work, About Stuff[/ame]

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it should be seen.

2. After two minutes in, I had to stop watching. I already know where it's going, capitalism is evil, capitalism is responsible for this, that, and all ills in the world, pollution is because of capitalism, etc. It presented a glaring factual dishonesty not even a tenth of the way through. I mean, come on, 50% of tax revenue going to the military? Who honestly believes this vapid non-sense. Oh, and the Government's job is not to 'watch out' for us, 'take care of us', etc. This is already going to hell in a handbasket.

From the Tides Foundation wiki;

And Annie Leonard is a former Greenpeace worker.

3. For some reason, when I saw comments on YouTube about "50% tax revenue to the military, wtf", that's the response I expected here lol.

I personally don't care about percentages, the main thing to take from the video is that corporations are larger than the government, the government seeks to appease the corporations because of it, and becasue of THAT we live in an endless cycle of wasteful consuming that benefits none but the upper echelon that profit off of our waste.

:confused_2:

4. I didn't watch the entire thing, but this skit is what that came to mind.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac]YouTube - George Carlin Talks About "Stuff"[/ame]

5. The last ten seconds of that video had me cracking up... he is too funny.

6. I didn't really hear her address why we're a consumer based economy, and a credit driven one at that. She seemed to think that we are a consumer economy because the supply of products are there, instead of the artificially fueled demand.

It all started with the New Deal, which pretty much assured us that we could spend ourselves into oblivion, and the government will always be there to bail us out.

7. George Carlin is the fucking man.