The Story of How I Broke My Neck

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Cyanide, Jul 18, 2009.

1. #1 Cyanide, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
    Hey Blades, it's been a very interesting past week. A week ago today I was t-boned by a drunk driver. My car was totaled; I suffered a major concussion and a fractured C1 vertebrae. The night is pretty much a total blank to me, everything up to my finally coming to in the hospital feels like a dream. It was only one friend of mine and I in the car, and she's fine sans a few minor bruises and being a little sore. I'm also in a neck brace 24/7 for the next ten weeks... Anyway, here's the story:

Since I don't remember much of what happened due to the severe concussion it's all very hazy, but I think I have a pretty accurate description of what happened. We had been hanging out at a buddy of mine's house smoking and playing a little UFC, just chilling out, when a few of us decided to head to Taco Bell for some munch. Whatever conversation ensued, we decided to take two cars (four of us decided to go). We got our food fine and were headed back to the apartment when we came to a stop at a light. The light turned green so we continued on when a car smashed into the front driver's side fender at full speed, our car spun around and the rear driver's side quarter panel also smashed into his car. We came to a stop and he continued on over the sidewalk into a ditch, nearly hitting a wall.

I was apparently knocked unconscious, but my front and side curtain airbags both deployed. My passenger was a little dazed but still conscious, obviously started freaking out. She got out of the car shortly after finding her phone to examine the accident. The driver of the other car came running up asking her if she was alright, then asking about me. He saw me unconscious and took off running. Luckily enough some good person caught him and stopped him from fleeing long enough for the police to get him. Anyway, I guess I finally came to and got out of the car right before the police and ambulance showed up.

I guess I was telling the EMT's that I was fine and didn't want to go to the hospital. I don't remember any of it obviously but they were asking me questions like what month and year it was, where I was, etc, and I couldn't remember any of it. Finally my passenger told them that I was unconscious for a while so they put me in an ambulance and took me off to the hospital. Whatever happened after that is a total blank, but I finally came to at 6 or 7 a.m. in a hospital bed with a brace around my neck and a note saying "Don't get up!!!" and a list of answers to questions I had apparently been asking all night.

I was in the ICU for the rest of that day and night, and finally moved to a regular room the next day. The day after that I was released and finally got to go home. I have to meet the neurologist again next week, but for now I'm in a neck brace 24/7 except for the two minutes it takes to change into my 'shower brace', with a nice prescription of Vicodin. :cool:

One thing that was good, though, was that even though I had my dugout on me I didn't get caught with it. I think I remember someone in the ambulance saying, "I found his weed!" and then some laughing, so that's all pretty cool - I'm just glad they didn't tell the cops! :hello:

So that's my story. I thought I'd share with you guys, hopefully it was interesting, as well as a good warning not to get behind the wheel if you are in fact too messed up to drive. Luckily nobody was more seriously hurt, but good thing I was wearing my seat belt (not something I normally do, though I have started since!), as they said it saved my life. Also, if the car had hit us two seconds later in my door, I probably would have been dead. Needless to say, it's good to be alive!

TLDR: Drunk guy ran a red light, smashed into my car. Drunk guy tried to run but was caught. I broke my neck and had a major concussion, nobody else involved was seriously injured. I'm in a neck brace 24/7 for 10 weeks and can't drive. I also have a nice Vicodin prescription!

-Cy :smoking:

2. damn dude i hope you'll be alright.. you got any insurance money coming your way from the accident?

3. dam dude that blows.
    are you going to go for a compensation?

4. Yeah since my car was totaled I'll be getting a decent check for that. As far as medical and legal compensation go, I haven't talked to a lawyer yet. Hopefully the police report will be ready early next week so I can get in and talk to someone, but until then it's just a waiting game!

5. Woah man. I hope you're completely alright. 10 years in a neckbrace doesn't seem very good, but maybe it'll heal quicker you know? I hope you get a fat wad of cash for this man, it seems to be the only way to make the pain easier.

6. 10 weeks bro.

---Sorry to hear about that man. At least you werent hit two seconds later and you had your belt on! And no one else was hurt, so that's a good thing too!

hope everything goes well for you man.

7. damn dude sucks....hope you get better

8. get well soon!

9. I hope your recovery is speedy! Be thankful you are alive.

It saddens me that drunk drivers are out there, rollin' around, oblivious to the rest of the outside world. I can't say that I have never driven with alcohol on board, because I have in the past, and I am blessed that I haven't hurt myself or anybody else. (Since I started smoking Herb I do not drink)

I will send some messages upstairs for your recovery and your compensation! Good luck and keep us posted.

10. at least your admitting it but not cool man

I have a passion of hate for drunk drivers, I wish in a crash they would kill themelselves before they harm another, its acompletely selfish thing to do

11. Hopefully the other driver was arrested and has insurance? Either way you are alive and not too bad.... DO NOT SETTLE WITH THE OTHER DRIVER'S INSURANCE OR SIGN ANYTHING! They will try to settle for the lowest amount possible and I am not saying this to be greedy but you might have medical bills 1 or 2 years down the line that you might get stuck with due to some fine print in something they made you sign. Yes, a lawyer will charge 30-50% of what is awarded to you but there should be some punitive damages involved with the settlement. Hopefully you have someone that can recommend a trusted lawyer, I wouldn't recommend hiring someone from one of those ads on TV or radio.

Honestly with the drunk driving thing I think the penalties are generally too harsh. YES in this case the driver deserves the maximum penalty but what I am talking about is people that are barely over the legal limit. IMO it should be more like a speeding ticket, if you are speeding 5mph over the limit really you aren't a threat to anyone but say you are speeding 50mph over the limit an argument probably could be made that you are engaging in an very risky activity.

On the flip side, and not to chastise you, you were stoned, no? I think clearly you are not at fault for the accident from how you describe it, but some people would go apeshit over others driving while under the influence of cannabis. Obviously someone who is inexperienced who smokes a fat blunt of something dank shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle but I think most of us here would agree that someone more experienced who has smoked in moderation is probably ok to drive.

12. That sucks but u have to make the best of it go in the doctor and tell him u dont like taking pills and u have to take so many hydrocodones to get pain relief and u dont like that and u want something u wont have to take a lot of and will provide around the clock relief and if ur lucky ull get oxycontin or mscontin and if the pain continues when u become opiate tolerent mabey u could get a fentanyl patch

13. Thanks for the kind regards everyone! As for a trusted lawyer, my grandma has worked for a great lawyer for close to twenty years now and while this isn't his area of expertise I'm sure he'll be able to recommend someone that will take good care of me. And yes, I had been smoking before the accident. The way I look at it is if someone simply isn't capable of driving at whatever level they're at, they shouldn't be doing it. I know plenty of people that can drink and/or smoke and still drive perfectly fine (myself included) because we know our limits.

While I agree that perhaps the DUI laws are a bit harsh in some places, a lot of people that are getting in trouble for it shouldn't be driving and are rightfully caught. Everything is alright in moderation, and whether or not you get behind the wheel afterward is only up to the individual and their personal limits.

Thanks again for the responses everyone- hopefully the doc will have some good news for me come next week!

-Cy :smoke:

14. Hope you have a speedy recovery man.

Drunk drivers suck. One of my friends was recently killed in a drunk driving accident, not at his fault.

He was driving down the road, following another one of my friends. It was about 11PM, so it was dark out, and a drunk driver was driving down the wrong side of the road (Divided state highway). So my friend in front was able to swerve out of the way, but the one behind her was killed when he collided head on with the drunk. My friend was 19 years old, and the drunk driver, 27. The drunk was uninjured, and it turned out to be his THIRD DUI. That is just unreasonable. That guy should not have been driving for at least 5 years.

15. Wow man, I'm sorry to hear that. Things like this are just fuckin' upsetting. Makes you lose a little bit of faith in people. Sorry for your loss dude.

16. Good to hear you have pretty good spirits in spite of what just happened. Im glad o hear you are OK and recovering good. hopefully its fast :)

17. Glad someone else nabbed the driver.

18. Thanks man. I guess I should more call him an acquaintance, because I had only hung out with him a number of times, but it was still pretty horrible.

19. damn man that sucks, good thing nothing worse happened. Hope you're better soon, and good story man. +rep