The Stoner Stereotype

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by OnlyJsBeotch, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I'm new on GC and wanted to start a thread about the stoner stereotype. There might be a billion threads going around about this but whatever.

This is my understanding of a stereotypical stoner:
    Gets in trouble.
    Doesn't try in school.
    Hangs out with the skater crowd.
    Shy when not around people they know.
    Obnoxious and disrespectful.
    Parents don't care about their well being.

Why so many people accept this stereotype; I do not know. Of course some people fit these perimeters and light it up a lot, but their lives don't revolve around weed. The majority of people that I like to hang around with are intellectual people with a confidence in themselves and who form their own ideas and opinions.

Any examples of people you know breaking the stoner stereotype?

2. Definitely the complete opposite for me. And there are faaaar more stereotypes.

3. me when people find out that i smoke theyre like "oh i wouldve never thought so, your s mart" and you know what i say? weed does not define who i am, it is just a part of my life. My marks have been going up ever since i started smoking and my life 10X better :). sure my plan one day is to be a pharmacist with a phd and own multiple pharmacies and dispensaries but weed has only encouraged me to seek out my goals. One love :)

4. Everyone says I look straightedge, an when I tell them I smoke mad weed they're shocked.

5. [quote name='"Maui Wowiiee"']Definitely the complete opposite for me. And there are faaaar more stereotypes.[/quote]

Any more aspects of the stoner stereotype you can think of? I know there's always that slacker stereotype, and the reckless and stupid ones too.

6. [quote name='"proz98"']me when people find out that i smoke theyre like "oh i wouldve never thought so, your s mart" and you know what i say? weed does not define who i am, it is just a part of my life. My marks have been going up ever since i started smoking and my life 10X better :). sure my plan one day is to be a pharmacist with a phd and own multiple pharmacies and dispensaries but weed has only encouraged me to seek out my goals. One love :)[/quote]

I completely agree man. Weed doesn't define who you are, it's a part of who you are. Stay hiiiiigh :)

7. the only two (on that particular list) that apply to me are - doesn't try in school, and shy around new people.

But I think the latter is pretty common among introverts because I know a lot of people who are "bigger stoners" than me, and are talkative around everyone.

I don't know, I just think that stereotypes don't work, they can be applied to anyone, really.

8. [quote name='"Maui Wowiiee"']Everyone says I look straightedge. [/quote]

I hate when people say that word. It's like they are trying to be cool by staying sober. No different than a person who smokes weed because they think it's cool to be a stoner (it is cool to be a stoner! But I hope what I've said makes sense lol)

9. Haha pretty much describes high school for me. Guess im a stereotype.

10. And that's why people think weed makes you stupid. Kids like that are just so proud to smoke weed and eager to prove they do it to everyone. Once you're really a smoker and probably age a few more years you'll realize how stupid that shit is.

Most like the ones you said either turn to harder drugs or stop smoking weed later in life.

The most important rule to being a smoker (non-mmj) is being able to identify other smokers all while making the average person unable to identify you as a weed-smoker.

That's how I see it. Kids that flaunt it are so foolish man, they think everyone's going to think they're cooler for it when in reality it just makes life harder. Believe it or not you can smoke daily and not be a worthless burnout. Stoner stereotype threads piss me off haha.

11. I've had my fair share of trouble.. Just somehow breeze through school. really smart and what not my grades dont reflect that. Hang out at the skatepark (aggressive skating) smoking blunts sometimes..

the last few kinda don't apply to me.

when you make certain decisions you embrace a change in your lifestyle
    doesn't have to be based on the fact that they smoke weed..

12. The only reason people who smoke get more attention is strictly because they smoke. I knew plenty of kids who were shit heads, got bad grades, were obnoxious and didn't respect anything, parents didn't give a shit, were shy people, and who were skaters that didn't smoke.

Propaganda man... That's how they get ya.

13. Why do people need to label themselves? After all, were still homosapiens.

14. #16 chronichouse93, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2012
    I've heard a lot of them
    My parents describe stoners as people who have bad hygene
    Get in trouble with the law often
    Are violent
    Lazy
    Don't have a job
    Go around commuting crime while stoned
    While a lot of this is true about some people it doesn't mean everyone who smokes weed is an asshole. Smoking weed is like a hobby. Let's take car enthusiats for example. Some car enthusiats are rude/ and think there the shit cause they have a nice car(s). And some are chill and just follow up on their hobby, some make it obvious by telling others about their nice ride, some brag about it to the world. Same thing. Like we all have different interests, different personalities, different lifestyles. For some of us weed is the only thing we have in common yet we get steriotyped all the time. We have lazy stoners, hardworking stoners, rude stoners, real friendly stoners. Here's one false steriotype, all stoner wear the die shirts, and or they dress poorly. I personaly hate tye die. I think it looks ugly. I've had so many people not believe me when I told them I smoke weed until they actually saw me. If people were to see le they would.never think that I smoke. I dress preppy ex: hollister American eagle, volcom. To me its such a thrill cause it never goes through anyone's head to think that I'm a stoner. Better that than have everyone that walks past you know that you smoke, and not get hassles by freeloaders who are always asking people who they assume smoke for some.

15. The Stereotypical Stoner:
    Burnt out
    Lazy
    Careless
    Selfish
    & An all around Loser.
    I can say I've met a few of these types, but overall tokers are good people.

16. This is my understanding of a stereotypical stoner:
    Gets in trouble. -- **Knock on wood** I don't really get in trouble
    Doesn't try in school. -- I graduated high school, college however did not go so well.
    Hangs out with the skater crowd -- I have a few friends in that category
    Shy when not around people they know. -- I don't think this has to do with being a stoner, but I am kind of shy *always have been*
    Obnoxious and disrespectful. -- Definitely not.
    Parents don't care about their well being. -- Not true at all.