The search button sucks

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by tokerthesmoker, May 7, 2010.

1. Alright as we all know theres like twenty different versions of the same thread on GC and people are always sayin use the search function so you don't have to make a new thread when one identical to it already exists. I would agree with this but the simple truth is the search function completely fuckin sucks. seriously whenever i type anything into the search everything completely irrelevant comes up even when i type in really specific words. Anyone else agree?

2. #2 scatfactory, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
    I found that using Google on a well indexed site is a lot more effective than vBB's search engine

site:forum.grasscity.com - Google Search

Try that link, put a space after "site:forum.grasscity.com" and then enter what you want to search for...pretty simple...

With Google's new search tools its easy to filter out the real old stuff too...neat stuff...

3. The point I'm trying to make though is that there are tons of people on here always bitching at all the people who make clone threads to use the search button even though that doesn't do shit, but thanks for the tip anyway

4. At first if you do not succede, then try, try again.

Chances are the answer is out there. If you do several level headed searches and can't find an appropriate answer, that's one thing... but most of us senior members are incredibly sick of answering questions that we have already answered fifty times in the past six months, and chances are that the question has been answered even more times on the boards.

We realize you're new... and thus won't rip on you (too hard... lol, just kidding) unless you really deserve it (most new blades don't).

There are also the questions that may not be new, but do require a new look on the subject. For example... if the thread pertaining to your subject is more than a year old... revive it... it's probably time for a more up to date discussion on the topic.

5. I thought I remembered another vBB forum having an integrated search deal on their new thread page...

[​IMG]

I'd think something like that on a forum of this size would tax the shit out of the servers...so probably not a reasonable solution.

6. this
    /thread

7. Haha not really that new I just browse a lot so my post counts down but I'm deffinetly not new to the herb. :bongin:

8. i completely agree about the search function.

9. The search button does suck... IF you don't use it correctly. ;)

For starters, always go to the "Advanced Search" screen.
    If you're just searching for a thread on a certain subject, select "Search Titles Only".
    If you're searching for a specific thread and know the forum it's in, a rough date for it, or if it had a lot of replies, you can tweak all of those settings too.

Using the "Advanced Search", I've never had a problem finding what I'm looking for. :p

10. I'm with junkiedays. I've never had a problem using the "Advanced Search" screen...even for some really far out shit.

I'd actually say it's one of the better search functions of any of the forums I visit