The role of enzymes in organics/veganics?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by GrimloxK, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Hey buds...two threads in one day...forgive me.

Just got back from the bookstore after reading the latest issue of HT and they discussed veganics which from what i'm guessing is only feeding the plant with plant based nutrients and so forth...no guano, manure, or pee for the dude that wanted to pee on his plant to provide it with N :wave:

I just wanted to know how the organic section views the addition of enzymes to help the plant break up food and so forth.

I'm still kinda clueless in terms of veganics and the use of enzymes...but I was kinda interested in kyle kushmans project where he used hygrozyme as a foliar coating to his plant above ground to prevent pathogens and disease.

2. If you watch this short video you'll know more about enzymes than the author of the article you're referencing.

Far more it appears from your cites.........

LD

3. alright just finished watching LD.

my question is is their any benefit to the role of the enzyme in creating a combined "product" as maybe a fuel source for cannabis? Rather than the enzyme not being present and the plant having to use the un-combined "product"?

4. If you have a good soil mix it will be full of natural enzymes that come with bacteria, fungus and ewc, itself. No need to buy or use more in organic soil. A better option might be to help make nutrients available from using humic acid for chelating minerals/elements.....MIW

5. #5 LumperDawgz2, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
    Perfect answer!

GrimloxK

Let me try and explain what game that they're playing even using the term 'enzyme' in the context that they are. It's exactly like the word 'sandwich' or 'casserole' - it means or applies to a HUGE range of definitions.

Let me explain just one enzyme that is created by certain bacteria strains when breaking down Chiitin. Chitin is a long-chain polymer (a derivative of N-acetylglucosamine - sound familiar?).

Chiitin is found in the exoskeletons of anthropoids like crustaceans - crabs, lobsters and shrimps). It also form the outer 'skin' of many fungi colonies. It's found in insect eggs, etc.

By using crab meal, for example, as a soil amendment you're adding the shell material containing chitin.

Chiitin in and of itself doesn't do didly-squat but the bacteria produce an enzyme called chitinase. It's this specific enzyme which then becomes a passive insecticide and to a certain extent a fungicide. This enzyme can be created (and is) in a manufacturing environment. "Chiitosan" might be familiar to you - widely used for the same reasons as adding shell powders to your soil.

So bacteria created this enzyme. Plants also create enzymes. There's fungal enzymes, etc.

The fact that some bottled gunk has any kind of plant material in its recipe dictates that you'll have enzymes.

For a plethora of micro and ultra-micro elements they also must be processed by enzymes from bacteria, then fungi and eventually the plants.

They're bull-shitting you throwing out words that they do not understand.

HTH

LD

6. I hear you LD. I've actually red up on products with "-zyme" in it and alot of organic growers say that adding it to their soil wound up to be a terrible decision. I figure these products are more geared towards soil users who use synthetic nutes.

Where do you guys stand on veganics though. Is there sense to be made from the use of animal nutes/by-products in your soil which leads to salt deposits in the soil?

7. I think enzymes are mostly usefull for hydro ops where there is a liquid medium.

Veganics? Don't get me started.....It's a made up stoner term that stoners box themselves in with. If you want a plant based grow fine, but to say ewc or other manures are bad or not organic is just crazy. I say use what is best for you in your situation ( I'm a big believer in using local products or growing/making your own) and forget made up terms designed to sell you something.....MIW

8. GrimloxK

Here's an example of pure 'vegan' growing - plants live. Plants die. Plants get decomposed and feed other plants.

It's been working for 450 million years and doesn't take a MLM outfit from Los Angeles to bottle up this concept.

I'll bet that many of us are true 'vegan' growers - Comfrey, non-animal compost, Yarrow, Neem seed meals, alfalfa meal, etc.

BTW - this Opal Creek Falls in Western Oregon.

LD

[​IMG]

9. Absolutely.....................

10. looks pretty lush

11. GrimloxK

The *zyme products are nothing more than fermented barley combined with mix of 9 or 10 lactobacillus strains.

Easy to prove as well - use the AEM method prescribed by the EM-1 folks and you can see for yourself that it's nothing very special.

Other than the price of course.

LD

12. Aloe Vera contains a wide range of 'enzymes' and here are a few.....

Almost 'vegan heaven' as it were.

LD

13. #13 Matt Rize, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
    Oh really? Maybe google it and see that vegan organic (veganic) hort has been here a lot longer than a couple of stoners in cali. Whats laughable is the haters. Haters gonna hate so let your hater flag fly homie. No worries.
    Oh really? lol... I was a high school freshman in 1996, when VON was established. You both give us far too much credit. I've been working on this since about 2001. Kyle heard about it a few years ago from Hippy Wray. Truth be told.

As for enzymes... just the same as any other grow.

14. Matt

My good friend, you and I have had this rather heated debate over and over and over. I pretty much understand where you're coming from. I disagree 100% with the entire tenet of veganic farming and this isn't about you at all.

I've debated these very points within the Oregon Tilth group and there's virtually no common ground with the veganics and the organic and Biodynamic farmers running certified farms.

No big deal! LOL

LD

15. Just for the record Matt, I don't hate the delusional or misinformed, I pity them. Attacking everyone who disagrees with you as haters is for folks who have no argument. You have been chased from many other boards for abhorant behaviour, is everyone, other than your followers wrong, and "haters"? MIW

16. #16 Matt Rize, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
    Well, common ground or not, I think we do alright. :D

oh found this video of MIwolv...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nr0q28M5nI"]MIwolv explains hating[/ame]