The purpose of life?

Discussion in 'General' started by dezz, Jan 2, 2012.

1. What is your definition of life?

I'm not talking about how the body and how where created?

My personal definition is just making people (your family and friends) happy and having memories.

Looking back at my life, i really didn't have no one to talk to or any thing like fancy toys and stuff? Because both parents were always working so I had no one. To be honest my best friend was the tv growing up. I really didn't have friends growing up and til this day I just have 2 true friends. I started working at a young age like around 5th or 6th grade at a farm it was a Bitch up I just wanted to make my dad happy. I never had a family vacation never had a summer off as a kid that I've enjoyed. Idk how to intepret my life and why I'm I here?

2. Same boat as you.

3. Mine is the pursuit of knowledge and maybe eventually adding something to humanity's sum of knowledge myself.

4. [quote name='"420stonedpanda"']Mine is the pursuit of knowledge.[/quote]

Yeah, I totally agree on this! You know working on a farm made me love plants as I look back at it.

5. well getting high all day isn't gonna make the answer come to you.

6. #6 chambs1, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
    I was raised in a Christian home. Very strict, very religious. Everything was about "Is that pleasing to God?" and "Is that how a Christian acts?" I was always a free thinker- I was programmed that way, so at a young age I began to question everything and this only intensifies the older I get. My life has basically become a big search for truth and understanding. I don't really care if I contribute anything to society- I just want to die in peace with a smile on my face.

7. [quote name='"CDub 2 Trill"']well getting high all day isn't gonna make the answer come to you.[/quote]

I don't get high all day man i just purely us it at night for sleep. I have insomniac can't sleep

8. #8 46and2with420, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
    2 parts:
    My take,

Our purpose as human beings is to be the engineers, doctors, emergency responders, scientists, teachers ect. of the planet. To reproduce, create, and evolve as a species. We have been created with a tremendous amount of capability. We can do anything, go anywhere, the only thing in the way is our priorities, time, and dedication.

For me the purpose of my life is to do all I can in my power to change the path we are on as a species. We must be awoken to what we are doing as a species, and what we need to do to create a world worth living in.

This task i cannot do by myself obviously, but I will live by a quote.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

And maybe some of you will help me:)

9. [quote name='"46and2with420"']2 parts:
    My take,

Our purpose as human beings is to be the engineers, doctors, emergency responders, scientists, teachers ect. of the planet. To reproduce, create, and evolve as a species. We have been created with a tremendous amount of capability. We can do anything, go anywhere, the only thing in the way is our priorities, time, and dedication.

For me the purpose of my life is to do all I can in my power to change the path we are on as a species. We must be awoken to what we are doing as a species, and what we need to do to create a world worth living in.

This task i cannot do by myself obviously, but I will live by a quote.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

And maybe some of you will help me:)[/quote]

I also agree

10. Check out this tribute series dedicated to Carl Sagan, he answers these questions: like why are we here? why do we exist? where did the universe come from? what is the point to life? what is the meaning of life? These are valid questions that deserve an answer. Science gives us an answer.

"We long to be here for a purpose, even though, despite much self deception, none is evident. We are lost in a great darkness, and no one has sent out a search party." - Carl Sagan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8P1Y1a7-L4]A Universe Not Made For Us: Remastered in HD [Carl Sagan Tribute Series, S01E01] - YouTube[/ame]

11. but what if science is just an illusion? and in reality its just a word

12. Science is the only thing that we can be sure of, it allows us to prove things that actually exist within the universe.

13. eh well it's application sure isn't

every single thing around you, from the the computer you are using, to the transportation you use, to the clothes you are wearing, is just science being applied one way or another.

also the fact that we haven't died from strep throat at 5 as well.

want a world without science? look to the middle ages, nicknamed the "dark ages" and guess what ruled?

yep, religion :rolleyes:

14. but where did science come from? who judges what's actually right?

15. The only real purpose to life is survival, thats how nature really is. Anything else like "happiness" and "love" is just stupid ass shit.

16. you do.

doubt gravity? well i'm still on the ground.

doubt the rules of electromagnetism? well i'm typing on a laptop right now that wouldn't work if those rules were wrong

doubt bernoulli's principle? well when i lower this window the papers fly out and the cigarette smoke too

we see science everyday, we just are unaware of it (and unappreciative as well)

17. wanna talk about it champ?

18. life has no "purpose" of sorts.

Im here for a little while and im going to make the best of it.

19. But we aren't barbarians anymore, we have evolved. We can have thoughts, feelings, relationships, emotions. People don't understand, we are here for such a short time, not even a fucking blink of an eye compared to the 15 billion year old universe in which we live. You'll be dead before you know it, so make the best of life while you can. We have the ability to comprehend ourselves, we are aware of our own existence. This is sad, yet awesome.