The Psychology of Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by DjSmokeBowls, Mar 30, 2013.

1. #1 DjSmokeBowls, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
    Conspiracy theorists. You know type, anytime there is any sort of significant event there are people who question the official story of what really happened. They are very suspicious of “mainstream media”, the “government”, and “Big Pharma” and come to the conclusion that something is being hidden from the public that the authorities don’t want anyone to know. Even when faced with significant evidence in support of the official report they still believe that there is some sort of cover up.

What makes these people so hesitant to accept the word of authority figures? Why do they continue to believe in conspiracies despite clear evidence to the contrary? Let’s take a look at what is known so far.

Some of the psychological traits that are common amongst conspiracy theorist are strong individualistic beliefs and a general feeling of helplessness. Combing the individualistic view that people should be able to make their own decisions without some sort of authority and a feeling that you are not in control of your life, leads to what psychologist Tim Melley calls “agency panic”. Agency panic is essentially feeling anxious due to a perceived loss of autonomy caused by some outside force. This can lead to a general suspicion of authority or powerful organizations.

Evidence that is congruent with these ideas comes from research done by Jean Twenge. She looked into personality test and how certain traits have changed over the past few decades. In particular, she notes that anxiety and individualism have increased significantly. In addition she found that people tend to hold an external locus of control meaning that they believe that outside forces determine what happens to you instead of the individual determining what happens to them. The switch from an internal locus of control to external could be due to an increased exposure to “uncontrollable” events such as natural disasters and terrorism. All of these traits provide the foundation for conspiracy thinking.

What is somewhat worrisome is the fact that these increases in conspiracy related think isn’t showing any sign of stopping. Furthermore, due to increased globalization of American culture, this type of thinking is spreading to other countries.

So now that we have a basic understanding of foundations of conspiracy thinkers, it’s time to look at what is so appealing about believing in conspiracy theories. One of the widely accepted reasons is that conspiracies help make sense of distressing and seemingly random events.

One of the characteristic aspects of conspiracy theories is the idea that the conspiracy theorists’ posses secret knowledge of what really happened. This supposed secret knowledge gives those who believe a feeling of great intelligence and power over non-believers. They can then use this knowledge to bring down the alleged perpetrator/s of the conspiracy which elevates them above the masses, sometimes condescendingly referred to as sheep or sheeple.

Another aspect that applies to conspiracy theorists and their ideas is that they are generally immune from contrary evidence. It is well known that people who believe in one conspiracy are more inclined to accept another conspiracy theory. Research has also shown that conspiracy theorists are likely to believe contradictory theories of how a particular event occurred.

For example, a study looked at how likely a group of student agreed with 5 conspiracies relating to Princess Diana’s death. The students who endorsed the idea that Princess Diana was murdered were also more like to endorse the idea that she is still alive despite the two ideas being diametrically opposed. This is explained by the fact the conspiracy theorists hold very closely the idea that authorities, such as governments and corporations, are hiding something for malevolent reasons which helps them support any individual conspiracy theory.

Research done by Viren Swami adds evidence to this idea that convictions about secret plots are used as confirming evidence for other conspiracy theories. Swami also found that conspiracy theorists tend to form a community of believers. This community usually seeks to spread the “truth” to the masses in an attempt to foster social change.

Despite their prevalence in popular culture, there is not all that much research into this particular aspect of human nature. Much more research still needs to be done.

I know this is really long but it’s a subject I’m interested in and thought might be of some interest to people here.

More Info:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...09/paranoia-and-the-roots-conspiracy-theories
    http://www.livescience.com/18171-contradicting-conspiracy-theories-mistrust.html
    http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/2009/05/26/the-inner-worlds-of-conspiracy-believers

2. Very interesting thread, and a well overdue commentary on what is a a mentality that pervades these forums.

I have seen this all too much.

3. Long overdue thread! Thank you!

4. Yeah you can bet your fucking ass I'm suspicious of the mainstream media, government, and big pharma... and you should be too.

I question everything. Just because I don't believe the "official" story in its totality does not mean that I believe an alternative conspiracy theory in its entirety either. When my gut is screaming to me "This doesn't add up, something's really fishy here," I trust that feeling, even if others don't necessary feel the same.

5. sorry im watching tv.. tl:dr... do you consider yourself a 'conspirist'? and do you think 911 was commited by jihad?

6. preach..

I completely agree. As for the OP's post; it seems to be just further attempts to put down those who question what is told to them.

7. Should I really? The whole point of the post was to give a little insight into why people like you believe the things you do. Despite what conspiracy theorist insist, there is no inherent reason to not believe the "official" story.

I would also hesitate to call you skeptical. I think you and other conspiracy theorist have only half of the skeptical thinking equation. It is certainly ok to question certain events which is part one. But that alone leaves out the most important part of skeptical thinking which is well THINKING. Once you have decided to question something you should then impartially, that is without assuming it's bullshit, examine the evidence and then make a decision.

*Conspiracist. No I do not consider myself a conspirator. Since Jihad is an idea and not a person or group of people then no I don't. If you mean do I think 9/11 was an inside job then the answer is still NO.

Yeah I've noticed. It seems to be getting worse especially with as it relates to "big pharma" which is why I plan another thread trying to debunk ideas relating to "big pharma" particularly their supposed subversion of a cure for 'cancer'.

8. I wonder if there were any conspiracy theorists around during Nazi Germany's reign of terror?

9. It's quite remarkable that your thread rapidly precipitated a reaction from people who suffer this mental blockade, who immediately began to reveal symptoms outlined in the text. I am not sure if it's because these people overt their eyes from any body of information that threatens their belief (characterized by a typically incorrect or partial understanding of the topic at hand), or if they corpse owing to some pathological denial that prevents any absorption of new and factual information. Either way, it is raises some seriously interesting questions.

I do look forward to your thread on cancer, although I must warn you that any productive discussion in the area will be thwarted by the incompatibility of rational thinking possessed by people who subscribe to conspiracy theories.

10. base on your answer to y question you should bare with me and take a little advice. Try being more open minded and looking at both sides of the arguement, its hard to admit your wrong but its kinda inevitable when all the facts are there.. as far as other gray area conspiracies go idk but still you should actually put time into looking at facts before shutting a group of people down

11. I wonder if their amygdala is enlarged significantly compared to the average population.

12. why specifically the amygdala? isnt that primarily for memory an emotional responses?

13. I was a little surprised by how quickly they reacted but their refusal to accept what I posted as anything worth listening wasn't the least bit surprising. As I point out conspiracy theorist aren't exactly known for being open to evidence against their beliefs.

I think their inability to accept new information is due to two main factors: a very strong conformation bias and what is termed "selective skepticism". The two of course are inextricably linked. They are selectively skeptical of "official" reports while accepting "evidence" supporting their beliefs without question.

You can't say I'm not open minded simply because I don't agree with your beliefs. I don't simply dismiss all conspiracy theories on their face. I do look at the evidence which always leads away from some grand conspiracy. Sorry to inform you but conspiracy theorist are virtually never right. 9/11 is no exception.

14. You can't say I'm not open minded simply because I don't agree with your beliefs. I don't simply dismiss all conspiracy theories on their face. I do look at the evidence which always leads away from some grand conspiracy. Sorry to inform you but conspiracy theorist are virtually never right. 9/11 is no exception.[/QUOTE]

truly sorry for you man, its hard to stray away from the thinking process we have all grown up in. Its not your fault and i guess cant expect anything more from you other than to agree to disagree.

15. fucked up that quote somehow but its towards DjSmokeBowls

16. #16 hurpdaflerp, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
    why do i not trust the government? go ask a native american

17. search "operation northwoods". thats another reasn to not trust them

18. I believe conspiracy theorists get overly generalized.

Many if us deal in facts.

Can you really expect the PA for Monsanto to be the head of the FDA and people not ask questions?

I'd say we should talk about Tue psychology of sheeple

19. I hope this thread isn't implying that the government is truthful.

20. The tone of the thread seems to be government appologist

I'm sure most people know "conspiracy theorist" is a broad generalization.