The prisoner's dillemma (when it is okay to rat)

Discussion in 'General' started by sonofchess, Jul 24, 2009.

1. I have seen a lot of G-City slickers say never rat and snitches are bitches who get stitches and wind up in ditches blah blah. Well for the most part you self righteous jerkoffs would be right but I doubt you would be so steadfast in your silence if you were faced with the prisoner's dillemma.

Imagine that you and one of your 'boys' from the 'hood' were arested under suspicion of being involved in a huge drug deal. The cops want to know who the weed belongs to. Now there are only two of you and it certainly belongs to at least on of you if not both. They need a confession and this is how they are going to ghet it...

The detective questions your buddy first... You seem him go in the room and then 1 hour later he comes out. He won't look in your direction and you feel sick to your gut. The officer grabs you and drags you into the room, the door closes...

This is the deal the officer gives you

1) remain silent

2) Rat your buddy out

if you remain silent and so does your buddy you both only get 2 years

if you remain silent and your buddy rats you out you get ten years and he goes free

if you rat your buddy out and he remains silent you go free he gets ten years

if you rat your buddy out and he rats you out then you both get five years

you know he will not know what you did until after the trial

you also know that you cant say some of it was his this only would count as an admission of guilt

What do you do?

2. So if you said half of it was his, would that be like you both ratting the other out, because they have 2 people to blame it on? So you would both get five?

3. classic game theory. nice.

4. Too bad cops can't promise you any type of years.

Here is the solid truth,

Cops = Arrest you
    Detectives = Investigate and Interrogate you.
    Judge = Obtains your sentence.

Cops can't tell you how you will be investigated, Detectives can't tell you how many years you will get. That is it, plain and simple. I have many studies in the law field, the cop can NOT tell the judge how many years to give you, it's 100% up to the judge.

5. #5 lessismore, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
    Been there, huge bust, lots of drugs, still kept my mouth shut and did my time. Also, they would never do that in a drug case, if you are both invovled, it does not matter who had what, all the weight is on both of you b/c of the intent. The cops will not make a deal, they will only try to get you to inform on others b/c they already have your ass.

Both keep your mouths shut. Both do your time. Both walk out the gate w/ pride and respect.

less

6. fuck it, id rat him out. im not going to jail for 10 fucking years just because im "friends" with some punk.

7. Cops can pull strings and get you a deal. We all know that is the reason alot of people tell.

I honestly don't think I'd tell, but if the other dude did I'd be fucking pissed.

8. [​IMG]

Never snitch. Its your fault you got caught up.

9. if it was his weed and hes making the money, i'de expect him to take responsibility for it and admit his guilt...if he doesnt admit it, then hes being selfish so i'de have no problem telling the truth.

if it was my weed ide admit my guilt, why put my friend in jail for something he didnt do? its called being a man

10. It's never ok to snitch.

Simple as that.

People... please, PLEASE... stop snitchin.

11. This. If I was just there for the ride (which I would never willingly be, I aint gonna risk catching a huge sentence just for a shits n giggles ride to keep dude company while he reups). I wouldn't snitch, I would just simply say "I was just riding with him and had no idea about any drugs in the car or if it was his, I have nothing further to say"

If it was my drugs, I would just keep my mouth shut, you got rights for a reason, use them.

If it was both of ours then I'd just keep my mouth shut as well, but this would never be the case. I'm not into team drug dealing, the only team I'd use if I was a drug dealer is runners/smaller dealers, never a business partner to split profits with, cuz I just don't trust anyone enough with my life, people talk tough, but when it comes down to it alot of people who haven't been to jail or prison are scared shitless of going to either, especially for years, so it's best to fly solo.

12. game theory makes me lose the game

13. just stick to the g code, you don't know what the fuck happened, no details. If your buddy wants to do that then fine but you don't know shit

14. No, they honestly cannot GUARANTEE any strings to be pulled, they can only put in a good word and type their report up respectfully, other then that it's ultimately the judges decision, I have been arrested many of times, and I know 3-4 detectives personally and around 5 cops.

15. A cop cannot give you a deal. They can do nothing but give you empty promises.

Deals are made strictly through District Attorneys/Prosecutor and Judges.

The only time a cop can make a deal and follow through with it is on Law and Order :p

16. how is this even a question? always shut the fuck up until you can get a lawyer appointed to you. not under arrest? then just plain shut the fuck up.

17. Well I can't just sit here and let a game theory question go unanswered. This is one of the classic games that has been studied, and often the first game introduced to econ college classes.

The "correct" answer is to always rat the person out. Because no matter what your friend does, you are better off. If he rats you out, its better to rat him out. If he doesn't rat you out, its better to rat him out. Therefore this game converges on the pure strategy nash equilibrium of (rat,rat).

It is also an example of the tragedy of the commons, where by what is best for the individual is not what is best for the group. The classic example is a community field for grazing cattle. If everyone grazes their cows the field dies, but if people limit themselves, the field lives. Unfortunately every person wants to graze in full, which results in the worst result for everyone. (This is a classic example used when discussing the need for enforceable contracts in a society).

Anyway, in real life, I think the accepted practice is to never rat somone out. But game theory would always predict both parties telling.

18. Who wants to bet this is another member who made a new name to post that :rolleyes:

19. I was watching that show D.E.A on spike the other day, and one of the agents even said that he respects the ones who don't rat more. The cops can't promise shit anyway, the have to get everything approved by the district attorney first. I'd keep my mouth shut, or if they really were my drugs I would just straight up tell them that my friend had nothing to do with it.

20. You could bet that, but you'd be wrong. Sorry, I'm more of a silent stalker on several different forums. (although I think my preferred community is reddit.com/r/marijuana) I just had a game theory class last semester that I loved and could not let a discussion about the prisoner's dilemma slide without weighing in.

There's a lot of different game's that could be used to analyze the various different situations a toker might find themselves in. I used to love to smoke down and do my games homework, can't even explain how much fun it was.