The Prince of Pot Marc Emery on 60 Minutes this Sunday (March 5th)

Discussion in 'General' started by Wykid, Mar 1, 2006.

1. [SIZE=+2]CBS News' 60 Minutes to air Prince of Pot Story This Sunday, March 5[/SIZE]
    by Marc Emery (01 Mar, 2006)

CBS's most awarded journalist Bob Simon investigates the story of Marc Emery, The Prince of Pot

On Sunday, March 5th at 7.00 p.m. in all time zones across North America, CBS News flagship program 60 Minutes will air the story of Marc Emery, Canada's Prince of Pot.

The segment will examine Emery's lifelong battle against prohibition and his unique strategy to accomplish that aim – by selling marijuana seeds around the world. The episode will be seen by approximately twelve to fourteen million viewers across Canada and the United States.

Prestigious CBS journalist Bob Simon interviewed Marc Emery and others, including the Drug Enforcement Administration and Canadian police, to delve into Emery's current predicament of facing extradition to the USA for a prison term of possibly 30 years or more.

If you've been following the progress of this 60 Minutes feature in the CC forums, you'll be familiar with the following links. If not, please take a look and see what's been in development for six months!

If you've been following the progress of this 60 Minutes feature in the CC forums, you'll be familiar with the following links. If not, please take a look and see what's been in development for six months!

A "60 Minutes" update for those interested

60 Minutes is in town...

Link to article:
    HERE

I'll be tuning in!

2. Ill definently have to check that out. I remember watching this show on MTV that shower people growing in Canada and getting a in a canoe and rowing down here.

3. I will definatly ( I'm so drunk I was about to post defiantly!! LoL!!) watch this episode!!! I'm interested to see it...

~ Terpsichore

4. Just a reminder:

March 5, 2006

Hello NORML supporters in America and Canada,

“THE PRINCE OF POT”
    Marc Emery is called the “Prince of Pot” and for good reason: the
    self-proclaimed Johnny Appleseed of weed claims to have sold more
    marijuana seeds than anyone in the world. Emery, a Canadian, is a leader
    of the marijuana legalization movement, and he believes that marijuana is
    a wonderful, healing drug -- and that to criminalize it is just plain
    silly. He lives in Vancouver, British Columbia, where the culture is
    rather permissive concerning marijuana, and the Canadian government has
    left Emery and his business alone. But now, the U.S. government has
    stepped in and wants him extradited to America, where he would face a
    mandatory sentence of 10 years to life. So should the Canadians hand Emery
    over to U.S. authorities? Bob Simon will look at the case this Sunday,
    March 5, on 60 MINUTES (7PM ET/PT on CBS).

Further details are posted to the CBS website:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/02/60minutes/main1363340.shtml

Regards,

-Allen St. Pierre
    Executive Director
    Member, Board of Directors
    NORML/NORML Foundation
    Washington, DC
    director@norml.org

5. Oh hell yes, I'll be watchin this tonight blazin' a bowl for Marc. He's an idol of mine.

6. Yep, I'll be tuning in as well. [​IMG]

7. Ok, here's a break of the schedule of how things aired in the eastern time zone:

Insurance Segment = 7:00 to 7:18
    commercial 7:18 to 7:21
    Court-Martial of Willie Brand 7:21 to 7:34
    commercial 7:34 to 7:38
    Emery segment 7:39 to 7:51
    commercial 7:51 to 7:55
    Criminal Minds segment 7:55 to 8:00

The Emery segment was pretty decent, but it seems like it was recorded awhile back. And the whole thing really focused on Emery more than I thought it would. He's a unique guy, probably one of the few people in the counterculture that you absolutely love or absolutely hate.

8. Yea, it wasnt too biast or anything. I guess it was worth the watch.

9. you da man.

10. It was ok. It was about Marc Emery. I wish that it would have been more about why weed shouldn't be illegal in the US instead of an ego-booster for one man. No offense to him at all...but it was all about him. We have to get things changed.

The John Stossel deal a few years ago was the best thing I've ever seen and the tv station sent me a copy of it because I raised hell when the station cut out in the middle of it. LOL! Here's the thread from way-back-when!!!
    http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?t=7517&highlight=john+stossel

Seriously, though...we need more change-provoking material aired in order to make the change. I do applaud Marc for doing the show, no doubt. I just want more action so that we can make some things happen.

11. I missed it too.

I smoked a tiny bowl just a bit before it was on and got bored waiting. Took a little nap and woke up at 8:10. lol

12. I smoked up with my brother while it was on... I dont know what happened too much, other then people throwing joints into a crowd and houses filled with cannabis plants.

13. I agree with RMJL, there should ahve been more talk about how silly the laws against marijuana are, instead of how cool this guy is... I know we're making progress, but it's so slow sometimes... and it almost sounded like 60 minutes was trying to make Marc Emery a bad guy... almost...

~ Terpsichore

14. I saw this pic on the internet.
    [​IMG]
    Lol .. "garden of Weeden" That's how I'm gonna visualize Canada from now on. :p

15. We tivoed it and are about to watch it now.

Blades, the John Stossel documentary can be rented or bought. Here's a link to it on netflix. http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70025154&trkid=147042 [Blame Game: Are We a Country of Victims? (1994)]

Thanks RMJL!!

edit: wait i'm really stoned and that may or may not be the exact movie but I believe it hits on the topic. sorry for my stonerisms folks.

16. Yeah I don't feel it was too bad. I smoked a joint and a couple bong loads during it with Floydian to show our support. :rolleyes:

17. i saw part of this, they showed some mad dank on there and my grandmother was like wtf is that and i said weed....i had to explain thats what it looked like when it wasnt torn apart

anyway LIFE IN JAIL FOR MAILING SEED WTF~!!!!

my grandmother thought it was silly that hes gonna get life for seed when others only got fined, she melted my moms bowl when she was younger(in a fucking woodstove).....amazing how people come around