The Potent Smell of Marijuana Legalization Is In The Air

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by J.R.R. Tokin, Jul 14, 2009.

1. This report from CBS News is a perfect example of how much the debate has changed. The story itself is great (a revealing look into the unimpressive origins of our marijuana laws), but it's the packaging and context that jumped out at me.

(CBS) This story was written by Charles Cooper and Declan McCullagh as part of a new CBSNews.com special report on the evolving debate over marijuana legalization in the U.S.

Click here for more of the series, Marijuana Nation: The New War Over Weed

The giant "Marijuana Nation" banner at the top of the page is emblematic of the mainstream media's sudden fascination with marijuana legalization. Unsurprisingly, the story is pulling huge web traffic thanks to Digg.com, whose visitors love stories about legalizing marijuana.

It took a long time, but the press has finally picked up on the fact that skeptical drug war reporting is extremely popular with the public. That simple concept appears to be reshaping and amplifying the drug policy debate right before our eyes.

2. me gusta el articulo.:)

3. English please :p

4. "I like the article".

5. Love it, definitely brings more awareness.

6. Very nice thanks for sharing.

I think this is big, special coverage, it's own graphics, ect. On CBS News even, I don't know their political bias historically but it's a big news outlet, your grandparents news outlet. So for them to be covered cannabis and not slamming it is HUGE.

I haven't read it all yet but I did notice they prominently mention that pot isn't the anti-drug focus anymore, prescription drugs are, with good reason.
    That looks pretty damning to the anti-drug cause to me. Almost as if they are sweeping marijuana under the rug because they ran out viable cases against it and realized more pressing matter are all the scripts that have been shoved down the throats of American people.

7. Well stated. Very nice article as well. I love to see more negative press attributed to prescription drugs. I just can't believe it's taken this long. :confused:

8. Indeed this is a great article, a nice progression. It did take long enough for the perscription drugs abuse to be taken as a serious issue instead of weed.

9. Don't want to piss off the biggest advertisers.

10. anyone take the time to look at anything else other than the article? I want to point out that it is the number 1 most read article. The third most involves holland's drug policy. I read a lot of news these days, and to see anything this month that tops fucking jackson's death is damn impressive. The attached video highlights how politicians have gotten more and more revealing about their marijuana use. There are a bunch of articles under Marijuana Nation, CBS's special on our battle.

this isn't just one article. the issue of legalization is probably dominating a considerable amount of CBS's coverage. I want to throw props to CBS for doing all of this, if there is some news conglomerate to thank it is them for providing so much supporting information to our cause.

11. The Potent Smell of Marijuana Legalization Is In The Air....

I think you're right. It's getting close. There's way more media attenation then 5 years ago on the subject. MMJ has shown some people the truth who normally would just believe whatever lies the government tells them.

12. what happened? the american medical association cut down on their funding towards the anti-drug campaigns due to the recession which pissed off the anti-drug companies so they're now saying weed isnt bad and legal drugs are to piss off the american medical assocation?

13. Great stuff, soon..

14. Exactly. When the heat is taken off of a drug (as in the Alcohol Prohibition Era), people start to realize that legalizing Pot isn't sending a bad message to our youth, it's the fact that totally legal prescription pills are acceptable because they have been "approved" by the "Man," man. Dude sorry for the rant but...

I
    Am
    High

High
    Am
    I

15. I hate to sound shitty, but MJ's abuse of perscription drugs has really shifted everyone attenation on to what's really bad, and now everyone is realizing that a little cannabis might not be so bad after all.

16. It's not shitty man. I was skeptical at first of all the media coverage because everything tends to be sensationalized. But you're right, it looks like he had a real problem with scripts. It's just becoming more of a sad fact that helps to show us, the rest of the world, what he was going through made him more human than we were able to be to him. R.I.P K.o.P. :( :smoke: one for his homey.

17. the people commenting on this article need correction. (at least some of them do).

GET ON IT