The outdeezy vs. dro

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by champloo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. So ive heard lots of people debating over if indoor or outdoor is better, and lots of people have mixed opinions. But i was wondering about hydro. To me it sounds like too much work and complication for a grow. But i dont know just how dank that bud gets, cause i cant say ive ever even smoked dro before.

Is dro really worth all that extra stuff? Are those buds really that much danker, or is it kinda like...good but you can get just as good with a soil medium + all the essential nutes.

Just wonderin cause i dont know whats up with that hydro business lol

2. bump? heh

3. Hydro if done well is fantastic. Some of the finest grass I have ever come across was hydroponically grown, tasty and picture perfect. Problem is you have to be very meticulous and invest much more time perfecting variables, that outdoors would be taken care of by mother nature. There are also alot of people growing hydro that are more interested in quantity over quality, chemically pushing plants to their maximum growth rate the entire way through resulting in the chemically flavored buds that you hear people complaining about. Most of the Dutch seed company gurus grow their headstash in soil only, but indoor. Well grown outdoor vs. well grown hydro.... matter of opinion.

4. dro puts you on your ass

5. I have found legitimate hydro to be some very very potent smoke, but My outdoor Organically grown buds have a much richer taste and honestly the potency is not far behind. Instead of 1 hit like the dro you just need 2 hits of the outdoor and your down.

6. Yah, really i think anybody who is going for the Gold is outside when it comed to pullin big yields if you have the right spot. Indoors is weak unless your pushin 10k. Their is no comparison to W/G. Supposively they say 3x3sqft in direct light is the same as a 1000w. And the outdoor will most likey taste better and youll get bigger buds. but i know nothing and i mean really i think i would go with outdoor for sure. But thats just me it is probably a personal preference.

7. Plants are meant to be grown outside. The finest bud I've ever smoked was grown outdoors by a friend of mine.

8. You can't recreate mother nature. IMHO I think dro is overrated; if the best of the hydroponically grown plants and the best of the out door grown plants were to be compared, the out door will most likely have the upper hand. For the fact that nothing is an imitation. I am not saying that dro is bad, because there have been some great legitimate grows that have come through.

Just my 2 cents:)

9. Hydro is a great method, controlled environment, ridiculously quick growth, however it needs to be constantly monitored and be spot on otherwise (as i found out) your crop will soon fail.

Soil is way easier to manage, for first timers it is more forgiving to your mistakes. And at the end of the day its what plants are designed to grow in.

I think yield wise its guna be outdoors taking the win because it has so long to grow and flower, still, it does depend on the growers skills.

10. Hydro is an indoor activity, under lights, so will never begin to approach the yield of an outdoor grown plant.

11. You can do outdoor dro as well. you get the same potentcy of hydro, but with the yield of outdoor ( if grown in 25 gallon totes)

12. Nobody here does that. Summer heat is too fierce. (But, as ever, I will stand to be corrected, LOL)

13. I feel so special, I corrected the great Cantharis.:hello: and im serious when i say that. your like my idol man. haha

14. You use coco coir for outdoor hydro setup....

15. My opinion - I have done both and enjoy both. However, the herb is only as good as the grower. I have smoked junk hydro and junk soil grown. The main difference that I have seen in the two is rate of growth. I think that most people confuse this and believe that hydro makes bud more potent. Potency is determined by many other factors, but growth rate is increased by hydroponics done right. Again, just my thoughts.

16. In that case you better have some +rep, you are too kind.

17. I 100% agree with you on this matter. Hydroponic growing has nothing to do with potency. I am so surprised many people fall trapped into thinking that hydro grows give you more potency than the strain is even capable of.

If GHS WW is rated at 12.5% THC content, now because you are growing in water it goes up to 15% ?? No.

The main benefit of hydro grows, and it is a relatively large one, is how fast your plants "cycle". Where us outdoor growers only get one "cycle" to grow our plants from April- October, indoor/hydro growers are able to get as many as four cycles in!!

Sure, outdoor grows yield a ton more in that one cycle, but 4 decent sized yields can't be bad either. This holds especially true for someone who grows for profit. If you can have product in every quarter of the year as opposed to just one large amount at the end of the year, you can easily see the benefits.

18. #18 patriofarmer, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
    All great points really it depends on what you have to work with and what your goals are. The one advantage that hydro and all indoor have is you can control all the elements and never have another cloudy rainy day, 78 degrees and sunny forever. With that your plants have a better chance of truly living up to their genetic potential, the same goal of growers no matter indoor outdoor, hydro or bio. Commercial hydro setups can turn and burn 3 crops of smaller clones in the same time one crop of large plants can be harvested outside.

Drawback you cannot replicate the quality or wattage of the sun, and every time you pull into the driveway during flowering you are suprised not to see cops waiting for you. If you have one bad day with hydro your entire crop could be finished, absolutely unforgiving. And you will never take a vacation longer than 2 days ever again.

One big reason that greenhouse hydro systems are not more commonplace is experienced hydro growers are very meticulous, and a near sterile environment is necesary for consistent results. A greenhouse is not exactly the place to find that. And as mentioned already in above post hydro growth rates are very rapid, only surpassed by aeroponics, so you would either have to build the largest hydro set up ever seen or start months later to take advantage of natural sunlight without choking out your roots.

Now if you had a batch of great hydro and great outdoor and asked me which one I would want to smoke, I would say both. I agree the grower and secondly genetics play the important roles.