The Origin of Pure Energy

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by bizzletwister10, May 15, 2009.

1. What is energy?

What exactly Is its origin?

It seems as if the only logical explanation for these questions involves the presence of God. But could God consist of energy? If so, these questions still remain unanswered.

What if physical energy could originate from pure conscience? This theory would certainly support the idea of God.

Please offer any enlightening input you may have.

2. i dont want to sound like a dick, but attributing everything unknown to "god" isnt very logical at all, its actually the exact opposite. I think this may be better placed in the spirituality forum.

3. well, membrane theory provides an answer to that

energy would be the resultant of a collision between two membranes.

4. The question 'what is energy' can only be answered if you ask for a specific type like kinetic or thermal energy.

The origin is as unclear as the origin of everything else. Keyword 'big bang'.

'Hey i can't explain so god must have made it' is literally an ancient train of thought in times of atom physics and modern astronomy.

Energy can't originate from anything. The total sum of energy in a system (on the largest scale the universe) never changes, it's just smaller sums of energy transforming from one form to another.

Read some books. Enlightment done.

5. all energy is interchangeable and equivalent. All energy.

that includes mass, thermal and kinetic, light, any radiation, anything. everything.

6. The flying spaghetti monster created all energy, so that is the origin. Fact.

7. Sure, i never denied that. The point is that you can't define energy without specifying.

8. at a certain point, you can.

as in, the sum of all energy in a system. we do it all the time

9. The sum of energy in a system is a value and no definition.

10. right. I get what youre saying now, it wasnt registering before

but the OP is mainly concerned with the origination of raw, undefined energy.

for the purposes of that topic, no specific form of energy is required.

as an example, I can light a stick of dynamite. Some particles will be heated, some will gain kinetic energy, there will be light, etc...

however, I can define the origins of all those various reactions as having the same source. in this example, an exploding stick of dynamite.

11. Nice example. But when looking on the universe you can't tell the source of all the energy more exactly than stating that it comes from the big bang.

12. well, the big bang is certainly one possible answer to the question. brane collision could be another.

i tend to think the latter is more feasible, as it attempts to account for some of the inconsistencies within the big bang theory.

13. Simple answer is we do not know where it all came from and non of us in our lifetime will know. Who knows, maybe humans will never understand our origins.

14. Chuck Norris is the origin of pure energy.

[​IMG]

15. i am refering to pure energy of possibility. It makes no sense to me that energy, that we perceive, could create itself. so how could energy be created, without using energy?

sorry i was kind of unclear. and i realize this should probably in the spirituality forum, but i wanted a scientific answer. i try to keep an open mind.

16. We know that before the big bang there was a quantum field in which the 'big bang' fluctuation took place. Particles appear from nothing in this field every moment around us.

Quantum field: an infinite, timeless system of infinite probability, where any event which does not violate the laws of each discreet aspect of that field, is possible. This includes the chance fluctuations that appear as 'particles'. Energy is here - we're here - because we can be here within a system of infinite probability.

MelT

17. lolyes.:smoke:

18. but what if we take this even further; what creates these quantum fields? why is it logical for them to exist? If they exist, they must contain some sort of energy.

I cannot imagine how absolutely anything can possibly exist.. It seems so illogical.

19. #19 SouthrnSmoke, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009

Not that i completely disagree with your very informed post, i actually favor this idea over most others. However....

Do we KNOW this? As Stephen hawking said in a book of his, we do not know anything, we simply know that if big bang was what actually happened, then this field you mention is most likely what came before that event. We have yet to find a theory that agrees with all other theories, or better yet, a theory that predicts the results of all models exhibiting quantum mechanics AND large scale physics, correctly.

Something else stephen haking said was that if there WAS any theory that united all physical laws into one single, simple equation/theory, then it would predict EVERYTHING. It would not only predict what we can observe in terms of physics and energy ect, ect. But it would also predict the outcomes of all events in that system. And who is to say that this "law" we are working so hard to find does not correctly predict that we could never come up with a single complete theory to base all physics upon. Its likely that the laws and math of the system we exist in simply don't have us discovering the ultimate theory included in its terms.

To the OP, i too share your feeling that existence is completely illogical, and insane that anything exists at all, sometimes i sit and think about this very subject long and hard to no avail, i have read alot of science, and have found nothing to help me imagine what,who,where,why,how, (or any other logical question) anything became to exist, whether it be energy, or matter, or even the laws that govern them( for they to have to exist in some form, in order to hold bearing over all that exists in my opinion). Sometimes, even to scientists, a greater being just FEELS like the right answer :) Your idea of conscience maybe being the "creator" of energy peaked my interest a little.

Interesting post, with some interesting replies!

Edit: I personally believe the concept of Infinity (in mathematical, and all other terms) Holds the key to us understanding as much as we can about the existence of energy and material forms.

20. #20 MelT, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    [quote name='SouthrnSmoke']

Do we KNOW this? As Stephen hawking said in a book of his, we do not know anything, we simply know that if big bang was what actually happened, then this field you mention is most likely what came before that event. We have yet to find a theory that agrees with all other theories, or better yet, a theory that predicts the results of all models exhibiting quantum mechanics AND large scale physics, correctly.

Something else stephen haking said was that if there WAS any theory that united all physical laws into one single, simple equation/theory, then it would predict EVERYTHING.
    .>>

We aren't really talking about finding a single unified theory, the OP talks about how closely we are able to understand a great deal about the nature of the inflationary Universe and wonders about its nature. We know that the Quantum Field (see below, bad term) preceded the Big Bang and indeed M theories branes, which I'm in favour of over the BB. The field is still reacting to the formation of the Universe, all around us now, and we're able to study its effects within the microwave background.

TBH, Steven Hawking has never said 'we don't know anything', he has simply said, rightly, that currently our knowledge is limited. That doesn't mean we know nothing, or that we need a 'theory of everything' before we can understand our reality, it just means we're still learning, as we always will be.

>>To the OP, i too share your feeling that existence is completely illogical, and insane that anything exists at all, sometimes i sit and think about this very subject long and hard to no avail, i have read alot of science, and have found nothing to help me imagine what,who,where,why,how, (or any other logical question) anything became to exist, whether it be energy, or matter, or even the laws that govern them( for they to have to exist in some form, in order to hold bearing over all that exists in my opinion). Sometimes, even to scientists, a greater being just FEELS like the right answer :) Your idea of conscience maybe being the "creator" of energy peaked my interest a little.>>

Then you're back to the same argument unfortunately: if consciousness came first, then whence came consciousness?:) A creator needs a creator. A quantum field needs nothing and can give rise to particles in and of itself, from nothing, no god required.

If you are interested in learning exactly how matter came into being - one of the things that we do have a good understanding of - then you should read up on 'quantum fluctuations' and inflationary theory if you get time, which will tell you precisely the order that matter/anti-matter, particles and then matter was created in.

But, as for the existence of reality, 'existence' is a purely relative term, and there is little here that truly exists in the way that we classically perceive. At the root of our own reality, at quantum scales, there is no time and reality itself is no more than a grainy field of possibilities. Here, there, before and after are no more than relative terms.

MelT