The only time, is right now

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by AndyPL, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Now is the only time that is real, the only place you can experience true freedom.

Not in some nostalgic past, not in some hopeful future. Not after satisfying some exterior or interior conditions.

Right here, right now. You already have it within you.

...sorry for the Digit-like post :D

2. I completely agree. And this is believe it or not what most atheistic people describe their lives as. No delusions, no false-hopes...just the here and now...

3. Exactly what I think.

4. :) It goes without saying that I, and a world full of Buddhist and Hindu meditators, believe the same to be true.

How are things Andy?

MelT

5. Ah, but what we call now is not truly now. I've read that the most alert human being alive experiences everything 1/30th of a second after it has already happened; they are able physically react, that is. Therefore, what we say is "now" is actually a memory of what has happened in the past, is it not?

6. This is true, but did you come to this conclusion yourself, or did you just get done reading Siddhartha? I am glad you think this, but I would like to hear some more in-depth explanation of your ideas.

7. I think it's a 16th if I remember rightly. It's as close as we're gong to get...

Actually, after pondering that glib statement for a second I realised that it's not actually true. In meditation the idea is to circumvent much of the conscious mind's analysis and concept building, leaving everything to be experienced in a more immediate awareness than normal consciousness. I have no idea how much 'faster' it would make perception, but it certainly increases reaction times massively.

MelT

8. In a matter of speaking we all live in some way, shape, or form of the past. Especially with what you are saying, everyone really is living in the past. What are you doing when you recall something you have learnt? You are recalling the past. You are recalling the exact time when you learned the specified skill. And what about dreams? Are they not visions of the past and future? Ofcourse, this is saying that your dreams are your hopes and fears for your life. Who knows what our dreams are exactly, unless they specifically present the image of a familiar place, then you are infact recalling the past, since everything is ever-changing, the familiar place you recall is no longer like the picture you are "seeing". You are looking directly at the past. And who knows if dreams are showing what could have happened or what will happen if you take certain steps to ensure this "future" for yourself. But, I believe there is no limit to the extent we can learn from our dreams. Basically, dreams are an image of the past world, where you (in the dream world) can do anything you feel you want to do. What an escape. Being able to go to a world and have that kind of control. Wouldn't you try anything, just to see the outcome? But, with that, is the outcome what really would happen? No one can say for sure, since this is your dream world and you have total control of it (if you learn how to manage it)(it is also a subconscious thing). Me for example, I have taught myself how to take control of my dreams (not fully yet), but to the extent of being able to control my actions and actually be fully aware of what I am doing and have people in my dreams act a certain way in order to achieve "goals" with in the dream. I don't know if others are like this or not. I am also able to decide when to wake up, and if there is a point in the dream where I lose control, I can wake myself and perhaps fall back asleep to a different dream to learn from. I have worked on this skill because of the ONE BELIEF that the "recorded past" is important to me right NOW. The lessons learnt from dreams can directly be attributed to the "past". Just because the past might have not happened, this does not mean we have to be like the phoenix. We should learn from the "past" even if it doesn't actually exist. Cuh Caw.

9. yeah, dragged my consciousness through that whole "now is all there is" crap. and yeah, i can see how it's true. i can see how it's worthy and can cause all kids of dessireable effects. but it can also be misrepresented and abused. and for that, i am thankful i can take my consciousness off to other times. my friends jokingly say about me being out of phase and so on, but its one of those jokes thats funny because it's true.

;)

now is a very long time. broad too.

edit-
    as for the stuff about the flicker rate of our minds... check out the ian xel lungold talks on googlevideo. he goes on at some length on this topic. quite informative and should give you a few threads to follow up in your own research. http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=ian+xel+lungold

10. Damn, would you be able to recommend a reading source that would teach one to achieve that level of control over one's dreams, as I have absolutely no control over mine and it's rather disappointing.

11. ld4all forums is the place u want perception. they have all the answers you seek.

12. Of course, Einstein believed that there was no past or future, that all was one 'block time'. "Time is an illusion, albeit a persistent one".

MelT

13. Hey Perception, can I call you PCP? anyway, I cannot direct you towards any reading material towards controlling your dreams, because truely, I didn't read any books to do it. I am sorry I cannot be of more help. In a dream long ago, I wanted some one to act a certain way to aide in what I was doing within the dream (like in life you would like people to act a cerain way) well this person did so, at first I was not sure if it just happened that way or I had actually done it, so I tried again, trying to ensure their actions with my thoughts, and it amazingly it worked, I was blown away by this, to have so much control, to be a sort of "Puppet Master". But if you want to start with something, try this, (if you have the time to "wast" sleeping) set your alarm clock for an hour after you plan on going to sleep and make sure you fall asleep before the hour is up, if you dream with in that hour, and can remember this conversation, try and think about actions or worldly actions (in the dreamworld). Imagine something simple at first say "I want there to be an apple tree behind me" and then turn around to see if there is one. etc. later

14. Thanks to the both of ya'. I'll be sure to check out those forums and try that exercise tonight!

As for calling me PCP, sure haha, why not?

15. hey PCP, I was going to continue, but I had lost track of time and had to get to class. But yah, as I was saying, try to imagine an apple tree or something simple like that. And make sure it is behind you or something you can't see in the immediate space infront of you. Like say there is a medicine cabinet you are looking at, before opening it, try to make an apple be inside of it, then open it up and see if you were successful. If not try again. Eventually, you could probably be able to dictate everything that happens in your dreams. Wouldn't that be great? Personally, I'd want to sleep all day, just for the control. How powerful the mind is. We have only to seek this power. It would be on the level of telekinetics in reality. Knowing things before they happen, not even that. Ensuring, things happen, dictating all that happens. You would know what is going to happen because it is your will that it happens. Almost like....a "God"...... Good luck excersizing....your brain. oh, and by the way, as for reading on dreams, I know there are books on the explanation of dreams and their meanings. Perhaps these will help in discovering the meaning of dreams. Perhaps it will show you why your dreams are based in such environments that they are, not just simply controlling the area you mind plops you, but understanding why you are there. Maybe to learn from mistake, have a second chance, etc. Later PCP. Have fun with it.

16. Thanks a lot for the advice, man. I'll be sure to try it all out tonight.

17. Well uhh I just had a bad dream and it reminded me of something and I wanna destroy it or put it to a halt!! roflmao, i beleive in quantum theory.

So whats this 1/30th?? Were living in the Brittaniann days ? ?

18. Really? I came to a similar conclusion myself. That's pretty cool. Who knows how true it is though, eh? :)

19. HOW TRUE IT IS!! BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE DRAGON YOUNG ONE!!!

WoW some kids!!! This was frekkking EINSTEIN WERE TALKING ABOUT HERE the german genious!!! WAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! ILLUSSSIOON!

Much like WoW, instances!!! WoW reminds me of jews....i bet blizzard entertainment hire majority jewish people.....meh anywaysss!

20. demon gods?

uhh anyways.

it can be seen as truth and it can be seen as untruth/deception, and it can be seen as both.

our perceptions of time, of now, are squishy, we squish them, we hold a remote-control/clicker/zapper, it's our finger that hovers above the speed dial.