The one thing that SUCKS about grad school

Discussion in 'General' started by emdyeks, Sep 5, 2007.

1. The workload is a lot but I can deal with that. The pressure and intensity is a little much, but it's not even making me sweat. But what I hate is that in college I had friends that smoked, and I didn't have to be shady about smoking and not tell anyone, I could smoke, walk around in town with friends, and no one would care. But in grad school because of the nature of how it is (my class mates will be my coworkers in a few years, my professors will probably be involved in where I work as well, it's all a very small network), I cannot tell ANYONE I smoke here, and I must do it in secret.

I have 3 roommates and they have no idea that I smoke, I have to do it all shady like in my bathroom, and even more so that this is an on campus apartment so I really do not want it to get out that I am smoking. It just kills me because even my close friends that I have made so far I can't tell because I can't risk it getting out to other people because my professional reputation might be at stake. Sucks. :( I wish people would judge others on their performance and intelligence, and not by what they do in their spare time which obviously has no effect on either of those two. But unfortunately this is not the world we live in, and I will probably have to keep this a secret for the rest of my life due to the area of work I am going into.

And what is rather ironic is my connection is a member of the field that I am shortly entering. Seems like you gotta keep your professional/academic life and your hobby life completely separate when you hit a certain level, which really really sucks.

2. that sucks man, what are you studying? what are you planning on doing for your career?

3. pm sent, but I'll just say it's definitely not the type of career that would be good for your reputation if it got out that you smoked.

4. ^ Dea

5. no not that bad. :D I don't necessarily think it is anything that would make me lose my job or anything but it definately is not the type of profession where you want to advertise what you are doing in your spare time. Mostly the profession is about ethics, so I think as long as I always admit admit to everything I do, I might be ok. It's just when you try to hide it that you are screwed.

6. Shit when I go to gradschool I get salary, house paid for and such. I'll be livin in the Bay Area, smokin some purps everyday out my financed doubleperc roors and volcanos, pimpin' with my bitch.

Not with roomies..

7. that is great, but honestly i would hate not having roommates, would get much too boring. I really doubt they would even care if i smoked in my room, but still i don't really see any reason to tell them.

8. The worst is when you go by your dealer's house to pick up a half and one of the students from the comp class you are teaching is sitting on his sofa.

Awkward.