The official UFC/MMA thread...

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by BMISS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Man was it! I have changed my mind on the intern championship belt. Dana was right. Imagine if the co main events were only 3 rounds.... that would of left us all wanting more would it not?
    I wonder if they will bump all fights to 5 eventually? I wouldn't be against it.
    Also isn't it nice to see champion fighters who respect each other and the sport and don't make it a shit show in the likes of that man child of a Irishman Coner Mcgregor. Man it has been some of the best fighting the UFC has ever showcased as of late and no Coner or Habib, two of the sports biggest draws. This sport is only going to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 100% amen to that - it was a great card for many reasons. I loved the way Poirier and Holloway conducted themselves, always been a big fan of those two. Especially Holloway, I think he embodies a pure strain of the martial artist mindset.

It was a smaller fight, but did you catch Khalil Rountree v Eryk "Wheelchair for a week after this one" Anders?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Just the highlights but holy crap! Talk about swinging with bad intentions! That dude aims for the back of your head, trying to punch through you. Power like Tyson very exciting fighter.

• Agree Agree x 1

4. Have to share this btw, it's amazing if you have an hour and are a sucker for Pat Barry and/or Thug Rose

Apparently he went to thailand after decapitating Gokhan Saki (who is a seriously bad ass kickboxer) in his last fight, and it really showed, the punches made the highlights I imagine but the real tale was the leg kicks. They looked great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I always really liked Holloway and thought he is a great champion and person. But not until he beat T-City one of my favorite fighters so handley did I become a fan. I was really pulling for him against the Diamond Dustin who I also really like. Holloway looked small in that weight division though, Dustin was huge!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I will when I get time, chances are I probably seen it lol. Ive been a fan of the Thug for a long time, way before she became champ. That spinning heel kick won me over too lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. He looked so small against Dustin, the power in punches really showed. Think max needs to stay at featherweight, can’t see him doing well against some of the hard hitters at lightweight.

8. Not sure if anyone has said, but holy fuck was adesanya-gastulum a fucker of a fight. Thought both fighters deserved double for FOTN. The heart shown by both fighters was incredible

• Agree Agree x 4

9. Yep ;) not with my hand either I'd tap that

• Like Like x 1
  10. There's really been a giant change in how the UFC gets paid and works. The PPV model is dead. That also takes a lot of power away from someone like Conor or Brock to push the UFC around. For PPV type events UFC now gets a set amount from ESPN for each on as if there was 500,000 ppv buys.

The possibility to make life changing money from a share of a huge PPV is gone for the top fighters. They don't even realize it yet. Masvidal was on Rogan yesterday and he had no idea it worked like that now.

UFC getting guaranteed money each event really takes away the power from the fighters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cerrone - Ferguson : Insane

I always pull for Cowboy, but it's impossible to be an MMA fan and not hespect Tony Ferguson.
    This will be a war.

I want Cowboy to win, but Tony is an animal. Very tough call.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I think they’re both great for separate purposes. In fact, they’re both amazing. I’m gonna put my money on Tony even though Cowboy losing will break my heart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Same.

On the flip side: Wouldn't it be interesting if Cerrone destroyed Ferguson

Now, the man, who holds the UFC record for most wins and finishes, may be fighting for the belt in the most talented division in the UFC at the tail end of a long and great career. Shortly after becoming a father and riding a revitalized win streak.

Cerrone could win UFC gold, and ride out like an alpha cowboy on top.

Record holder in the most brutal sport there is
    New dad
    Rich af

14. Hahah rich af!

That would be very interesting. I wouldn’t put it past cowboy. You’ve opened up my mind, maybe this fight will go in a completely different direction! That would be insane!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Picking on that fight is difficult af. I suppose I give cowboy the edge in standup and tony the edge on the ground, but cowboy has one hell of a ground game as well. Whoever wins I will be both happy and sad.

16. Khabib-Ferguson has to happen, just so we can stop talking/speculating about it.

Looking forward to Jorge VS Ben.

I like both of those guys, for different reasons.
    Ben's wrestling is undeniable, but Jorge's stand up skills and sheer street cred is as well. I don't want there to be a loser.

If I had to pick one, I would go with Jorge, since he is definitely more blue-collar and in my eyes the underdog.
    As much as I respect the power of wrestling, its power is also what makes it less likeable.
    A solid wrestler can turn almost any fight into a permanent lay and pray.
    As such, a wild go-for-it striker is much more appreciated, and rightfully so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thoughts on the Robbie Lawlor bulldog choke? Looked legit to me

18. Yeah, it was legit. Robbie may not have been out (yet) but Ben had the grip legit.

Furthermore, it bears pointing out that if Ben already had him on the ground, it was most likely over.

• Agree Agree x 1