the OFFICIAL trippy movie thread.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by joe Biggs, Oct 26, 2008.

1. #1 joe Biggs, Oct 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
    so there are several threads roaming around asking what are some good "trippy" movies or what are some movies to watch tripping. i went out and rent 75% of the films listed in these thread and am here with a conclusion of good movies to watch on psychedelics and just all in all trippy movies.

Planet Earth
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Where the Buffalo's Roam
    City of God
    Fight Club
    Requiem for a Dream
    Natural Born Killers
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    Donnie Darko
    A Scanner Darkly
    The Doors
    Pink Floyd: The Wall
    Yellow Submarine
    Fantasia
    Mirror Mask
    Alice In Wonderland
    SLC Punk
    Spun
    The Trip
    Another Day in Paradise
    Memento
    The Beach
    Clockwork Orange
    Eraserhead
    Fantastic Planet
    Paprika

Spirited Away?
    My Neighbor Totoro?
    What the Bleep do We Know?
    The Cell?
    The Cube?
    The Curve?
    Triplets of Bellville?
    Wave Twisters?
    Pan's Labyrinth?
    Waking Life?
    Tommy by the Who?
    Altered States?
    The Point?
    I Heart Huckabee's?
    Mad Max?
    Mulholland Drive?
    Event Horizon?

? = have yet to see, but plan to soon.
    bold = top five.
    also alot of movies are pretty trippy cause the main characters are on drugs, so theres a more specific thread i have here.

2. I dont think u should put a caution on some of those. Really a movie thats super intense when your tripping makes it a memorable experience someone will never forget. I watched clockwork orange for the first time when trippin really hard on acid, and it was amazing.

Also add all pictures with director alejandro jodorowsky!! ie:the holy mountain.. they are amazing.

3. You should definitely watch waking life it's really trippy and makes you think

4. watch planet earth in hd

5. Has anyone watched Tron? I ate some shrooms and watched it. It was quite awesome

6. Honestly, i'd say alot of these are just movies with general drug use in them...drugstore cowboy, boogie nights, scarface, knocked up, etc....these are far from 'trippy' movies, nonetheless, awesome movies, fun to watch high, but i don't think they should be considered 'trippy'

now most of the other ones are great, i'd have to personally recommend from this list:

Paprika
    Altered States
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Eraserhead (watched this high first time, real weird, can't imagine it would be fun whilst tripping)
    Natural Born killers
    Yellow Submarine

also wanted to mention, alot of these movies would be scary/straight depressing to watch while tripping, so watch out!

:smoke:

7. yeah, Pink Floyd: The Wall is a very trippy movie. You don't need to be in an altered mind state to have a fucked up experience watching it to be perfectly honest. I watched it on LSD and I think it has caused long term damage to my psyche. Sometimes I have nightmares about the Walking Hammers and the Fornicating Flowers eating each other. It's also very graphic. Unless you have an unusually strong mind, I wouldn't recommend it. Or maybe if you're a very thoroughly experienced psychonaut. Or if you dose up with the mindset that you're intent on having a bad trip.

Paprika on the other hand would be an unbelievable movie to watch when blasting through hyperspace.

So would all the Hiyao Miyazaki flicks. They're generally very fantastic in nature and the visuals are astouding even when sober.

I can't believe no one brought up Donnie Darko...there are some very very complex concepts buried deep within that movie. Try the Director's Cut too.

8. #8 Ms.NatureFaerie, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  9. Fanatic Planet I'm fairly sure should be Fantastic Planet, as I came on this thread to recommend it :D. You really have to pay attention or it's not fun though.

10. crouching tiger hidden dragon.
    also a movie called 'suburban commando' with hulk hogan, his bad acting is soo funny when baked

11. I had never even heard of this movie until a week ago and now it's popping up EVERYWHERE. what the hell?

and my contribution to the thread: Across the Universe. I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

12. Was lookin at the list and City of God looked interesting so I smoked a few bowls, watched it and it was great! I recomend this movie this movie to anyone. :smoke:

13. Yeah City of God is tight.

If you're tripping, just high, or even sober here's some good movies to watch that haven't been listed yet.

Baraka
    Speed Racer (well, I'd really only watch it if you're tripping or high, it makes more sense that way lol)

IMAX Deep Blue Sea

Lol everything mentioned so far is stuff I wanna post lol.

But here's some good movies just to watch high anyways

The Big Lebowski

lol fuck I can't think of anything else haha. Everything I wanna post has already been posted.

But I definately would recommend City of God to anyone, one of my top 5 movies period.

Also, any old episodes of Cosmos by Carl Sagan are good.

14. I am not much for formal introductions so I skipped the formal introduce yourself here thread. So Hi.

Apocolypse Now
    Closet Land
    Wild at Heart

15. great thread!

16. Homegrown

Drugstore Cowboy

17. The Haunting (original)
    ...wow.

18. I thought Donnie Darko was a trippy ass movie, I'm glad I watched it high

19. i agree with city of god, it's a really good movie. there's a follow up for that film called City of Men.

One of the trippiest movies I've watched along with those in the list is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Michel Gondry's (Director) style is insane, try watching his music videos too.

20. this thread seems to go hand and hand with this thread.