The most loving thing.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by esseff, Aug 27, 2012.

1. When you find yourself unsure what to do, or just whenever you have a moment and remember to do this, ask yourself this question:

What is the most loving thing I feel I can do in this moment.

When you ask yourself this question, with an open mind and heart, don't think about it, just be still with it. In a moment you will see an answer, and whatever that answer is, do it, without thinking about it.

It doesn’t need to be a big thing, just something, for someone, in a way that answers the question, but without expecting anything to come from it.

Then just share what happened.

I’ll start things off.

I was sitting on a bench in my local gardens with a cushion under my arse. The weather was warm, it was a bit sunny, and slightly breezy. I’d not long smoked a little herbal joint, and had begun my meditation. There was nobody else around, which is fairly usual for this place at this time on a Sunday.

At some point a man walked in and sat down on a bench about 20 yards in front of me. He was sitting there, in what appeared to be his own thoughts, by himself, taking the opportunity to be alone, to ponder, in this nature-filled peaceful space.

Even though I was there doing the same thing, sometimes when I’ve been meditating for a while, and I notice someone, especially if I’ve had my eyes closed for most of the time, I get the feeling to go and speak to them, and often start to feel there is a coincidence or synchronicity taking place.

I didn’t want to break this moment, but then the question came to me: What is the most loving thing I can do in this moment? I knew I could go over and talk to him – perhaps he was in need of some company. Perhaps he was only there because something was going on in his life, and were I to engage him, even for a short while, I might help him somehow.

I wondered how much my doing this was for him, and how much it was me simply adapting my former idea of thinking I should speak to him, thereby actually making it more about me. Perhaps the most loving thing I could do at that moment was to let him remain in his own space and not enter it just because I might want to. As I thought this, he stood, did his trousers and belt up, which were strangely undone (I hadn’t been aware of this prior to him standing up) and watched him slowly walk off.

Before asking myself the question, I was feeling like I ought to engage him, when really, what I wanted to do was continue in my silence. It was only by looking at what I felt was the most loving thing I could do at that moment, that I realised it was to let things be as they were, and when he walked off moments later, I could see this had been right.

I did try again a bit later, when I wasn’t sure whether to disturb my daughter and her friend, but then took some chocolates in to see if they’d like them. They didn’t, which didn’t matter, but asking the question allowed me to do something that removed the doubt about whether to do so.

There are other experiences where something more overtly loving occurred, where no question had been asked, which might’ve sounded better. But it’s not my intention to self-aggrandise here, and this is just what happened after the question appeared.

So, who's gonna post next I wonder?

2. I wish I could act on compassion as easily as you, especially with your daughter. I like your idea on doing something loving in a daily situation, I plan on trying to do this myself. I just have walls put up that keeps me from risking such.... social interactions. I gotta try at least, it would help my current relationships.

3. You really hit on something when you said "I was feeling like I ought to engage him, when really, what I wanted to do was continue in my silence."

I believe as we seek more and more to LOVE others perfectly (which is to say in exactly the manner which people NEED to experience LOVE) - you can trust more and more in your DESIRES.

How wonderful to discover that when we DESIRE to lead a life that loves others as ourselves - our lives can be guided by our desires.

This way, simply by living our lives in joy - LOVE blooms all around us.

4. As I said, doesn't have to be some grand gesture, just a little something, here and there, is all that's needed. If it feels too risky, don't beat yourself up, just try something that feels less risky. Only you can know what you're comfortable doing right now, and there's no wrong way to do this. So have fun with it. In fact, something that involves humour is good, as making someone smile or laugh, is a great way to give a little bit of love.

5. You really hit on something with the idea that our desires can guide our lives. This has been mentioned before here. I recall D_420 saying something about this.

In order to get to this point, one has spent so much time letting go of desire, that the idea of indulging it again seems somehow wrong. But, when the ego has been spiritualised, when the connection has become crystallised, there is a harmonising of will, intention, desire, into one homogenous self, so that it no longer matters what could happen, as what will happen is always going to be loving.

6. #6 sunsett70, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    this!

yeah, trouble with the "grand gesture" is what happens after :D it's the little daily things we do that means a lot more at the end of the story (and a lot harder to put into practice consistently). like u said 'a little laugh', like especially when she had a shitty day. or maybe i had a shitty day too but to be able to share a small little laugh or a comforting hug makes everyone feel better, less they are super depressed/angry/confused/stressed and lookin' for a fight. even then, could still help....

@Bipolar Bear
    i was just thinking about my personal 'walls' the other day and how much of my own is self-fabricated. not neccesarilly the same for you of course, but if compassion guides your hand, i think you'll more than likely enjoy the experience of going beyond your own personal 'walls' too.

7. Right, it's just that my comfort zone is incredible small. Gotta expand it anyways. Humor isn't my strong point, but hey, might as well give something a shot.

sunsett70, I think we all have these walls to overcome, but compassion does seem to be the best way to climb them.

8. Best way to expand it is to push against it ever so gently, and don't worry what happens. I'm sure you'll be fine. If you're doing something for the right reasons, then whatever happens, even if it feels a bit strange, will still be fine.

9. This is what exactly what leading a HOLY life really means!

We can think of a holy life as one in which our desires being fulfilled results in a life that perfectly loves others - while filling own lives with satisfaction, happiness and peace!

:D

Its ironic that the one thing everyone wants - is the very thing God wants to give us. We go wrong only when WE try to create this kind of life in our own wisdom and effort.

10. Damn, esseff. This is exactly how I want to live my life, and have been working on it day by day. Meditating, and being at peace, and just doing what feels right; what comes naturally out of the love of compassion, and just love i guess,(lol sorry, minds a bit clouded atm). You make a great point about the desire to love, because as you said one(or at least I) have been working on letting go of all desires, and just simply 'being'. But out of this stillness, this inner peace, there is a drive, or an instinct or whatever you wanna call it to help others. Even if it is in the littlest way; just doing something to help someone's day out is beneficial to the giver and the reciever. Anyways, really good stuff in here guys. I'm glad i popped in to say hi.

11. #11 sunsett70, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    @bipolar bear
    "Humor isn't my strong point" heh heh yes, man, a bit of tact in this area (or whenever you're pushing the boundaries) is good. yeah, joking during inappropriate moments aren't funny! with my girl. sometimes, just a good old fashioned quiet hug works best.

ok man, i got a problem with consistency about all this "love. compassion etc" thing when i read some of the stuff written about christians/religious folks here. a lot of bad feelings, and my reply tone while not 100% argumentative (most times) in nature, it is nevertheless not a 'peaceful' tone either.

read one of thoughtware's posting which was very well articulated and non-aggresive. how do you guys go beyond the "people can't say this and just get away with it" attitude? this need to 'correct' an 'unfair' (in my view) situation, in some manner which usually leads to further feelings of aggrievements in both parties? or should i just say 'fuck it....'?

12. You could just say 'fuck it', in fact you just did (come to mention it, so did I) :smoke:

In reality, people can say whatever they want - it doesn't mean we should be ready to judge them for it.

One man's 'unfair situation', may be exactly what someone else is looking for.

By accepting that we're all on this journey together, and at different places along the way, while you may 'know' that something is wrong in any given moment, it is also still right, in as much as it is happening. Once you accept that what is happening, IS happening, then you can act on what you see if you wish to, but not from a reactionary perspective, but from calmness and stillness, as it is only from this place that something can ever truly be done. It is from this place where you do so with love and compassion.

13. Perhaps asking yourself what is the most loving thing, is a bit too much under normal situations.

I'm now feeling like the question should be:

What loving thing could be done at this moment?

It widens the possibility of seeing something that gets put into practice, without getting put off by seeing something that might seem just a bit too much.

14. #14 thoughtware, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    I think we can all learn a lot from esseff's posts. He is talking about LOVE - and the power love has on the one who gives AND receives it.

I want to be candid and talk about "religion" - and why the religious can inadvertantly end up being VERY biting in their comments.

Religion has come to mean "proclaiming that which others have told you is true". What I mean is that "religion" has acended to God's throne - and now sits AS God pretending to be God. In fact, many people can not even differentiate religion from God.

It is one's religion that tells you how to worship God.
    It is one's religion that tells you how to love others.
    It is one's religion that tells you about your relationship to God.

Only God himself can do these things. But if you are in religion, you will look to your religion for answers instead of God.

Now, the reason that the religious can be so "biting" in their attempts to defend their religion is because their religion paints a very small, completely incorrect image of God. So, like a cornered animal, if the questions become too complex - they bite back rather than admit they don't know the answers.

Religion actually has very few answers to anything. For example ask a "Christian" why Christ died and they will all respond the same way - for my sins. This is wrong - and paints God as a monster.

The next time someone asks you that question, you can respond with the truth.

The reason Christ died is that you may understand what sin really is.