The meaning of life!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by blublapped92, Sep 16, 2012.

1. I figured this shit out. The meaning of life is for the universe to experience itself. I mean if you think about it, we are part of the universe. And life is the only thing that's able to perceive what's going on around it, and what would be the point of a universe if there was nobody around to see it?

2. Correct, Nothing would exist if we didn't. We are the universe because we exist. The world is over when I die.

3. nothing matters other than how you feel about it

4. the universe would experience itself, even if there was nothing that we define as life. your idea is nothing but an excuse to feel more significant.

5. That is bullshit baumeister. Haha that might be a bit harsh, because we all interpret reality in a different way. But if you really go deep into well life for example science you’ll find that the observer of an experiment influences the outcome. That is fact has been proven. That would lead to the statement that the universe can not experience itself without life. Now life is a big concept on a universal scale. Not just living beings like humans , animals or plats but entire planets , stars , galaxies and with a spiritual sense even a rock is alive . you comment may be based on life only being what "normal" people would believe it and we all know "normal people" as in the majority of society is missing the point of life (wars , struggle , world hunger , suffering from ignorance) so how can you define what is life and what is not . Anyway the guy posted really has the meaning of life there and if that thought really did come to you (not hearing it some ware and thinking about it) you really have a lot of consciousness in yourself and a great understanding of reality if you know what this means fully. You then have great potential for becoming a noble spiritual being and attaining enlightenment

6. [quote name='"baumeister"']the universe would experience itself, even if there was nothing that we define as life. your idea is nothing but an excuse to feel more significant.[/quote]

So according to you objects are self aware?howd you get to that conclusion ?

7. #7 baumeister, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
    I did not mean to say that inanimate objects have a conciousness, I meant that I believe that the laws of physics still apply without life around. I dont think that the difference between the process of a rock moving through space is as different from me moving to type these words as people tend to think and self-awareness really is just a funky little add-on that glorifies itself.

that thing about the observer influencing an experiment is a load of crap. its got the same intend to make people feel important that I mentioned before and the way it tries to justify that is actually no more sophisticated than with organised religion.
    Im not sure which experiment you are referring to (please tell me, so that I can rip it apart :hello:), but I once had friends of mine (one of them is a physics student) trying to convince me of the same thing, referring to some experiment where light behaved differently when you added a "measuring" device. I found it utterly ridiculous how somebody could come to the conclusion that it wasnt the device physically changing the flow of light, but some guy looking at a screen. I cant help but wonder if these people ever conducted a scientific experiment before!
    Id rather believe in secret nazi anti-gravity technology than this shit! :D

edit @smoky: sorry, I was focussing too much on that experiment... I know what you mean and its actually quite close to what I was trying to say in the first place, yet I dont see the point in redefining the meaning of the word "life". well, maybe in a few years of technological development Im gonna consider including digital programs, but lets not rush that. ^^

8. Anti-gravity or zero point technology as it is called by some to my knowledge is also true. I strongly believe coral castle were build with anti gravity technology if you look at the facts on coral castle but this is all debate with no meaningful outcome but to indulge in your ego’s need for always being right . I think that experiment I was talking about watt the one were light behaves as a particle and a wave at the same time , and also the one were one particle of light is at 2 places at one (that’s all to full of shit for me to want to understand fully , scientists being proven wrong on their "facts" with other facts that are subject to the same laws) so you can never fully be sure of anything being said to you unless you feel and understand the truth within yourself. You can debate about it being true or false, that is not my concern an is not my goal of sharing my thoughts .I instead share what I know and believe to be true with an open mind, to use that in the way you live your life everyday (or at least that is my intension) and through minds interacting, gain an better understanding, thus eliminating ignorance and making the world a better place. The thread is about the meaning of life and I probably mixed in a lot of shit with it and to that am give my apologies. May we all live by our own choice, living true to how you really are inside? That to me is the meaning of life.

9. [quote name='"Smoky B"']That is bullshit baumeister. Haha that might be a bit harsh, because we all interpret reality in a different way. But if you really go deep into well life for example science you’ll find that the observer of an experiment influences the outcome. That is fact has been proven. That would lead to the statement that the universe can not experience itself without life. Now life is a big concept on a universal scale. Not just living beings like humans , animals or plats but entire planets , stars , galaxies and with a spiritual sense even a rock is alive . you comment may be based on life only being what "normal" people would believe it and we all know "normal people" as in the majority of society is missing the point of life (wars , struggle , world hunger , suffering from ignorance) so how can you define what is life and what is not . Anyway the guy posted really has the meaning of life there and if that thought really did come to you (not hearing it some ware and thinking about it) you really have a lot of consciousness in yourself and a great understanding of reality if you know what this means fully. You then have great potential for becoming a noble spiritual being and attaining enlightenment[/quote]

I did in fact come to that conclusion on my own. And i'm not sure that planets really are alive like we are, but there are definitely some similarities like how every process of our bodies has a purpose and a precursor, and if you think about it deeply, planets are no different in that aspect, at least earth. And I guess stars to an extent.

10. I think the meaning of life is simply being.

11. we don't even understand the universe. actually, we don't even know that the universe exists. we could be in a giant, simulated bubble created by the government

12. blue pill, blue pill! D:

13. Life advances into its own purpose, the experience of its own existence.

14. The answer is in the question. Life is the meaning of life. Live until you die, in my opinion at least.

15. The meaning of life is to feed a continuous chemical process. The meaning of awareness and consciousness are to compute and respond to stimuli meaningfully.

16. everyone in the world has a different meaning of life, because everyone see's the world in a different perspective so what life means to you may mean something completely different to someone else, but when you figure out what that meaning is, everything is in balance and makes sense

17. [quote name='"baumeister"']

I did not mean to say that inanimate objects have a conciousness, I meant that I believe that the laws of physics still apply without life around. I dont think that the difference between the process of a rock moving through space is as different from me moving to type these words as people tend to think and self-awareness really is just a funky little add-on that glorifies itself.

that thing about the observer influencing an experiment is a load of crap. its got the same intend to make people feel important that I mentioned before and the way it tries to justify that is actually no more sophisticated than with organised religion.
    Im not sure which experiment you are referring to (please tell me, so that I can rip it apart :hello:), but I once had friends of mine (one of them is a physics student) trying to convince me of the same thing, referring to some experiment where light behaved differently when you added a "measuring" device. I found it utterly ridiculous how somebody could come to the conclusion that it wasnt the device physically changing the flow of light, but some guy looking at a screen. I cant help but wonder if these people ever conducted a scientific experiment before!
    Id rather believe in secret nazi anti-gravity technology than this shit! :D

edit @smoky: sorry, I was focussing too much on that experiment... I know what you mean and its actually quite close to what I was trying to say in the first place, yet I dont see the point in redefining the meaning of the word "life". well, maybe in a few years of technological development Im gonna consider including digital programs, but lets not rush that. ^^[/quote]

The experiment is called "the two slit" experiment. I would absolutely LOVE it if you were to read about the experiment, THEN come back and rip it apart. I could use a good laugh.

18. #18 snarkbolt, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    in my opinion, everyone has a different meaning in life and there is no determined meaning for us, your own meaning makes you who you are, how you find it defines you, Existence precedes Essence

19. the purpose of life is a life with a purpose. SOLVED /end thread

20. How could we supply a helpful respond to ‘what is the meaning of life' without actually understanding how to clarify our less-than-ideally-behaved, seemingly-imperfect human situation? I found an article here that will provide very good answer to our egotistical and aggressive self. Have a look at following and then write about your opinions