The Mars Science Laboratory Thread (Curiosity Rover)-Landed! - Updated daily w/pics

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Senior PoopiePants, Aug 3, 2012.

1. This is so fucking cool o_o

2. that thing looks like johnny 5 on steroids

3. #63 Mogwai, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    [quote name='"FaQPolice"']Might want to look up the definition of a conspiracy before you accuse people of talking it lol peace[/quote]

Did I say there was a clear conspiracy theory in this thread? No.. but when people start coming in and claiming things like all the cool stuff will be covered up., or that only "sheep" think there is potential for new discoveries here... that's something that will most likely lead to arguing which will lead to people bring up other coverups or "sheep" arguments... which the vast majority of will obviously be brought up by conspiracy theorists...

All completely irrelevant to this thing we got crawling around up there..

And I didn't tell you you couldn't post.. but I mean, if you really don't give a fuck... why would you?

And there's a multiquote and an edit button which help avoid triple posting.

4. [quote name='"yurigadaisukida"']

The government is not one entity. Also what would they hide spacewise? Privite corpeeations are already gearing up to go. It's not like they will be able to hide anything significant.

Does the.government hide things? Sure they do. But in this case I don't believe there is anything they can discover worth hiding. Its just life.or no life[/quote]

gearing up to go? they've already gone. they're working on sendig people right now. my brother works for one of them. so i guess you could say that i 'know somebody' and i know that people who think nasa is hiding things are full of shit.. the only thing they may be hiding is rockets and aircraft for military test purposes.

5. You're confusing NASA with NSA. :rolleyes:

NASA employs a lot of scientists from academic institutions. They aren't some secret group of government trained scientists that all work in classified and top secret labs. Remember last year when those "NASA scientists" claimed to have found an organism that could substitute arsenic for phosphorus and alluded to the possibility that they might have an organism that resembled alien life? Well turns out that those "top secret NASA scientists" were divulging that information a little too early...because all follow up studies have shown it not to be true. Those NASA scientists were too eager to tell the world of their research. Quite the opposite of some government conspiracy to withhold information from the world.

Amen.

6. No you wont- this is my thread, and I'm taking it seriously.

I've been watching this and waiting for this for years.

If you want to talk conspiracies, then MAKE ANOTHER TOPIC.

You are not going to derail this thread.

Go make a thread titled "The conspiracies of the Curiosity rover".

I believe conspiracies happen, but this is not the place.

And it was your delivery (calling us sheep, etc) that pissed us off.

Like I said. Start another thread. I'll see you in there and talk about some shit. But not here, dude.

7. Anyone seen the stop-motion video of the descent yet? It's really low quality but it's worth a watch, and apparently they're releasing a higher quality version later.
    New Scientist TV: First video captures Curiosity's descent onto Mars

Also, here's Curiosity's first color photo. It's so grainy because of the dust cover which is still on the camera lens. There are a few other cool recent articles worth checking out on space.com on Curiosity if anyone's interested.

[​IMG]

8. i already read yesterday that the dust cover had been opened.

9. So how do they get the rover back? Do they just leave it there? lol

10. [quote name='"wtc"']So how do they get the rover back? Do they just leave it there? lol[/quote]

Yes they leave it

11. [quote name='"iMPREPREX"']

No you wont- this is my thread, and I'm taking it seriously.

I've been watching this and waiting for this for years.

If you want to talk conspiracies, then MAKE ANOTHER TOPIC.

You are not going to derail this thread.

Go make a thread titled "The conspiracies of the Curiosity rover".

I believe conspiracies happen, but this is not the place.

And it was your delivery (calling us sheep, etc) that pissed us off.

Like I said. Start another thread. I'll see you in there and talk about some shit. But not here, dude.[/quote]

LOL whatever... For the record i WILL post where the fuck i want, never mentioned a conspiracy theory, never called you sheep, and the fact you were waiting for this or years is sad lol... Learn to read bud

12. last mission to mars confirmed the existence of water on a planet that is not the earth. for the first time in human history, anywhere in the universe. and waiting for the next mission anxiously is sad? lmao.

13. Na thats pretty cool, not that we don't already know wAter and the existence of life on other planets is very likely, waiting for years in anticipation for a rover which wont confirm anything we don't already know is kind of pointless lol

14. oh so now you're claiming to have some intimate knowledge of the chemical composition of mars. obviously you must know something we don't if you already know what the rover will find even before it's started looking.

15. #75 chiefton8, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    No, it's not sad at all. I think it's pretty damn cool how excited he is about it, actually, because I find it somewhat contagious as a fellow scientist. It means he's passionate about something, something that will go down in the history of science. It keeps his curiosity peaked and it keeps his mind active. Who are you to judge what makes his clock tick? Some like sports, some like science, etc. Personally, I think this is cool shit and I encourage the OP to share his excitement. If you don't share his excitement, there are plenty of other threads going on here at GC to entertain yourself that don't involve insulting the passions of others, no?

Maybe you could make a thread discussing something you're passionate about and the OP can tell you how pathetic you are for it. That would be fun wouldn't it? Middle school ftw... :rolleyes:

16. He doesn't share my excitement. He shares my excretement.... ... By himself...

:bolt:

17. dude chill out, please.

if you think you can contribute to the thread then go ahead.. otherwise let the discussion go on.
    just keep the posts towards the science end of the conversation since that's the forum the thread is in.

thanks dude..

18. Robots are definitely the future of intergalactic travel. The disadvantages of humans are vast, we require food, water, sleep, social interaction, medicine, and we are susceptible to the temperature changes in space as well as radiation. Robots have none of these disadvantages. They require an energy source (radiation heat or light, usually). Robots such as 3D printers also technically reproduce. They take up smaller amounts of space and they can do mathematical processes more often and more precise than humans. Robots also have the capability to work longer "shifts" than a human could and conquer many challenges that humans face. I believe we evolved on this planet earth not to become intergalactic travelers ourselves, but to give way to a more suitable race, a more intelligent race of robots. Just as aimless single-celled organisms gave way to enormous complex creatures like humans through evolution, evolution of the complex human consciousness will collectively give way to a race that is greater than us, created by us.

19. #80 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    The higher resolution images are coming in!

Mars Science Laboratory: Raw Images

Go there for the images as they're uploaded from the rover (to the orbiter then sent to Earth).

The last color image I uploaded is from a previous rover that's about 10 years old. So when the high-def pictures start coming in, they're going to put that one to shame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ Before and after the dust cap was removed. And there's Mount Sharp ahead, which the rover is going to study.

Here's Mount Sharp again:

[​IMG]

And the Bonneville Crater taken from an older rover:

[​IMG]

:hello:

Attached Files: