The Light Switch Stash Spot

Discussion in 'General' started by magicaldank, Dec 28, 2011.

1. So guys, just started dis-assembling my light switch. Learned two things:

1: There is a shitload of wire back there
    2: If I had touched said wires, I could have killed myself

So, how can I clear out the space behind this light switch without killing myself?:eek:

2. The wires should have cable around them... You can touch them. If they don't... You have a bigger problem

3. There are like 5 wires. They all look to have cable around them. The light switch is old and doesn't control anything, so I think it's broken. How should I take them out safely?

4. turn off power and go

5. True... Should I just tape up the ends of the wires with electric tape after I cut them down and push them a little ways up?

6. First turn off the breaker in your house that corresponds with that switch. Then you can just twist the wires together using those wire caps and stuff them back. The outlet should have a box behind the light switch plate, which you can take out and shove the wires behind then screw the box back.

7. The light switch is old and doesn't control anything, so I think it's broken.

8. Just carefully cut them down one by one, then wrap up with ends with some electrical tape. As long as you are only touching one at a time you're good.