The Key to Appreciating Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ThePhantom, Apr 25, 2009.

1. It can be easy to get lost from appreciating life or anything, with all the possibilities of a "fake world" and stuff like that. However, I luckily found a way to immediately dissipate all this; just hold your breath for a long time, and then breathe, and realize how great it is to breathe. No matter what the ultimate nature of reality is, if somebody took your air away, there would be absolutely no other thoughts; your whole being would be focused on getting air, absolutely nothing else. When you breathe, you realize you have access to sweet air, and as long as we have that, that is truly something to be thankful for. It really proves to you how much the "moment" means to us.

2. It actually has a little kick/buzz in it aswell, especially in the beautiful outdoors.
    I'll try to try this more often, heheh.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I wish you could catch a buzz off some air. Sure would save me a lot of money.

4. Air could be called a drug

5. i dig that notion. it makes me want to look deeper into chanting and breathing/meditation exercises.

6. It is rejuvinating almost.

7. Oh yes, very rejuvenating indeed.

8. It really is neet to feel completely satisfied for a few seconds, just by inhaling. It kind of makes me want to try erotic asphyxiation, there really could be something too it... ha ha

9. hell yea, you should. Breathing is one of the most important aspects of meditating.
    And oxygen is nice, ever go to an oxygen bar? so rejuvenating to get clean air, directly into your body

10. I hear breathing too much pure oxygen is bad for you, though. A lot of people think the air is primarily oxygen but it is actually nitrogen.

11. yeah, an idea i had the fortune/misfortune of getting first hand experience of a while back, somewhat similar to your held-breath idea, is the reccognition that you could die at any moment (be it for whatever reason), and then you really start to be thankful for every breath. mad but true.

12. Yes, I do wish I had a very close near death experience to know that feeling. I do appreciate everything without it, but nothing can give you the true appreciation unless you actually come close.