The internet as an extension of human empathy

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ~Blu, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Thoughts?

2. I'd say it's more of an extension of just humanity in general, both good and bad aspects.

3. It can go either way. We can choose to use it to unify or destroy connections with others. I dream of a world of unity, so an instrument of empathy it is to me.

4. Empathy is the capacity to share the sadness or happiness of another sentient being through consciousness rather than physically. Empathy develops the ability to have compassion towards other beings.

The internet is an extention of our conciousness... Which is why it's called the web. like a spider uses it's web to detect things like rain, flies and so on, we use the interweb to interconnect our consciousness with others.

So empathy as a construct of consciousness is also a construct of the internet.

5. Yeah the way I thought about this its basically both because at other times it works in an opposite manor like when people are just assholes to each other and say things they wouldnt say to you in person

6. this.

7. But at the same time, don't you feel that much more empathy when you make a genuine, physical connection with another? And by physical connection, that involves either physical sensation or pure eye contact (which is a very powerful form of empathy, in my opinion). Although the web is a pool of our thoughts/web of consciousness, it also creates a barrier between energetic souls.

All in all, though, the internet is a pretty neat mesh of our individual thoughts and has its usefulness, but I don't think it matches understanding another individual's feelings like that in physical communication.

8. Yeah exactly the physical connection especially eye contact...

thats why i've always felt like even if you do get some empathy and can have good conversations with people on here that inspire you and lift your spirit

imagine how you'd feel the conversation was taking place in person...it would be 10x greater

9. Agreed.

There are good and bad in almost everything on this Planet

10. Agreed. The internet can allow conversations to go deeper and become more structured. Also, one message on a forum can essentially be seen by hundreds of very different individuals, as opposed to common daily communication with those in your general vicinity (which can be meaningful, but often, I find that some sort of doubt holds some back from truly expressing his or her feelings.) The physical realm has more potential for a truly empathetic experience, though socially, many factors may hold one or the other down from really being in tune with himself/herself and his/her companion.

With the internet, the things you type out can affect others in very different ways, which is a pretty cool feeling, knowing that what you say here may affect somebody anonymous in tremendous ways. All in all, regardless of the medium of communication, we are interacting, and interaction is a good thing! :)

11. Interestingly, one can never truly be 100% themselves in the presence of another person, because we always change our self to acomodate the individual. Which is why writing, and by extention the internet, provides a resurgence in truth. The new Renaissance. :)

12. #12 Tunguso, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
    Maybe to some extent, if you were to consider that every human need or motivation imaginable is on the net.

Empathy just being one of the many. The nets original design was to link people with eachother who shared a common interest. Then like everything that can be marketed and sold, it become or was overtaken by business interests. You can express emphathy over the net and receive it in return.

13. Good stuff, I was wasted ramberling on and someone already explained it.

The internet provides the option for people to express empathy. Search engines provide oppurtunity to market empathy. You have the option to market yourself or the cause to promote empathy.

14. So if the "web" is an extension of our consciousness, and therefor an extension of our thoughts, can morals and law be applied to the internet? Is censoring the internet like burning controversial books?

15. I LOVE YOU BRO!!!!!!!!!!!! <3
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsBBR1oPS8]YouTube - Bob Sinclar Ft Steve Edwards - World Hold On [Club Mix Version #2][/ame]