The incredible true story of my first-time order

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Heinousboy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. #1 Heinousboy, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
    OK, maybe not quite 'incredible' but I thought my experience might prove interesting to others out there. I ran across a thread started by sunkencouchspot (http://forum.grasscity.com/general-feedback/766119-gc-shop-order-shipping-tracking-journal.html) chronicling his first order and thought it was a pretty good idea; this is offered in that spirit.

Here's a summary timeline with details following:

November 26, 2011 (Sat.)- Order placed

December 2, 2011 (Fri.)- Order shipped

December 12, 2011 (Mon.)- Order received in Michigan, USA

While I've long had a taste for something glass, local pricing generally hovering around the delusional mark made a purchase hard to justify. After I found the Grasscity site, I began to think my dream could become a reality and I was especially interested in the Molino Mad Scientist V3 and the Weed Star Double Bubbler 3.0. The bubbler called to me but I was a little uneasy with ordering from Europe. They're all the way over there while I'm all the way over here. Plus, ordering something that could attract the attention of ICE added a complicating factor. Nevertheless, I finally placed the order on Saturday, November 26. I started counting the days while checking my order's status every fifteen minutes or so. The status showed 'Pending (Docdata)' for a few days, indicating the payment was processing and I attributed the delay to placing an order on a weekend. By Tuesday, though, it had changed to 'Pre-shipping' and I knew wheels were in motion. I was completely stoked when on Friday I saw the status had changed to 'Complete' and there was an email notice letting me know my order had shipped.

The Weed Star Double Bubble 3.0 arrived this afternoon and it's pretty spiffy. I am aware of the brand's rep in some quarters and I've read spikeystud88's review of the 2.0 model (http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/600078-%5Bfull-review%5D-weed-star-double-bubbler-2-0-lots-hq-pics-hd-vids-etc.html) more times than I'd like to admit. I was a little nervous about what would actually show up at the door, but my fears were baseless. It's very pretty. The joints are solid, bubble free and the glass is most definitely 5 mm. The only flaw (and it's minor in my view) is that the second diffuser (showerhead/circ) is not quite centered in the chamber. This is the same flaw noted in Randy's review (Weed Star - Double Bubbler Bong 3.0 with Shower Head Perc Diffusers - Grasscity.com). It's not quite in contact with the side of the chamber but it is off-center by an estimated 4-5 mm (3/16"). This error is visible only from the posterior (mouthpiece side). Viewed from the side everything's spot on. I've read some reports of the base not being flat, making the bubbler difficult to keep upright but didn't see that on the example I received. There is a very slight concavity in the bottom, but the rim (which determines how it'll sit) is flat. That being said, I can it tipping over to the side pretty easily just because the base is relatively narrow in comparison to the height. It's a nice bit of work and well worth the price. I will have to do something about the Weed Star logos, since I think they actually detract from the appearance, but I'm quite happy with it on balance.

The only hiccup in the whole experience was completely my fault. When I originally placed the order, I failed to note the 30% discount that was available. The funny (or sad, depending on your view) part is that I was completely sober when I ordered. I guess I was just focused on getting the order in and didn't pay attention to anything that was the Weed Star bubbler. I realized my omission the next day when I stopped by the forum and actually read the notice at the top of the page. I briefly considered repeating the order (with the discount this time) and canceling the original, but was leery of winding up with two bongs. I contacted customer support and they were prompt and polite in their replies during our email exchange but ultimately unable to help. I process Web orders for my employer and regularly give partial refunds to customers who forget their discount codes. Although I don't have access to the credit card data, our processor will allow me to have the card refunded and I was hoping Grasscity would be able to work something similar. Sadly, it was not to be and I wound up paying full price. Although I paid 25.50 USD (19.24 EUR) more than I needed to, I at least bought it before the price went up to $89.00. So I've got that going for me.

The packaging was excellent with expert use of styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap. Sunkencouchspot's thread (see link above) has some pictures of his order as it was received for those who are interested and it was exactly like mine. Included in the package were some papers, screens, a booklet of paper filter tips and a plastic grinder. The screens I can use; the rest, not so much but it was nice of them to include it anyway.

I know some people are going to be thinking, "A pretty piece is pretty cool but how does it hit?" That's the $64,000 question, of course, but tragically one I won't be able to answer 'til tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to finding out. :)

2. #2 Heinousboy, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
    Turns out the answer is 'Very well.' This thing rocks!

3. Awesome I hope I get mine soon

4. glad it all worked out, friend :smoke:

5. Awesome man, i'm really glad everything went well !! enjoy :)

6. Welcome to the City! make yourself at home and hopefully you'll stick around a bit.
    I'm glad you had a generally positive experience with GC (despite the minimal refund not being possible)
    I would love to see some picture of the V3 if you could get some up.
    Very well worded and good first contribution to the community.

Enjoy the glass!

7. Gratz on the glass. The store is truly fantastic, and even if anything went wrong the good folks over at the support in the store can usually fix things up.