the idea of nonexistence after death

Discussion in 'General' started by Faramir, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Im just curious about you not remembering a single dream over the last 9 years?
    Can you tell me if you have smoked pot every day for the past 9 years?

2. I honestly don't know what I believe...but I don't think it's pure nothingness.

This may seem over simplified, but I heard a Rabbi say once, that something can never become nothing. For example...when a candle burns, it seems to disappear. But in fact, it's still there, but it has turned into a gas or energy. A leaf may die and fall onto the ground, but it will eventually rot, and turn into soil, and that soil might grow a tree, or be the home to thousands of bugs or organisms.

So his "theory" was, that when you take that energy which is all our thoughts, all our memories, our personality, how we moved, all the lives we touched and changed...it can't just become nothing. It has to go someplace. I don't know where, maybe it will just be some molecules that bump around the universe forever. But we just don't know.

On the other hand...all my life I've noticed that people who DO believe in an afterlife tend to treat THIS life as way too trivial. I don't know many christians who give a shit about the environment or preserving nature and the world for future generations, because hey, they're gonna be gone in 50 years so who cares? They're headed to greener pastures. REALLY annoys me.

3. That's completely up to you. If you feel that way, get off the computer and do something about it

4. my cat just scratched my face
    so i tried to bite her
    then i stopped myself and realized...wtf i can't bite my cat
    she's just a cat
    get a grip

5. Well, I mean it's painful in many ways, not that it's completely painful. Everyone experience pain of course, like losing a love one.

6. Why? To appease YOU?

7. No shit what're you retarded or something? YOLO!!

8. Whatever troll.

9. yeah
    yolo

10. Whatever good samaritan.

11. "I pray to god that he saves me from his followers"

12. Yeah physics teachers will tell you the same shit, regardless of religion. Its called conservation of energy and matter.

13. Oops replied to wrong thread, that wAs for Rabbi anecdote.

14. I'm often humored by mortals that are afraid of concepts their simple little conscious simply cannot comprehend.:cool:

15. honestly this life on this planet isn't some spectacular thing, we live in a world filled with war, genocide, greed, racism, and ignorance. The only people who truly care about us are our parents (if we are lucky) then they fade away, by then we are in a huge world by our selves and it seems very over whelming, we turn to a soul mate, some one whom we randomly meet and expect to share out lives together and live in happiness and love, then we breed an offspring and hope for them to continue our legacy. We are all just part of an experience, and there for we should not seek everlasting happiness.

16. And who are you, pray tell? An elitist? HOW NOVEL

17. Newsflash asshole youre flesh and bones like the rest of us; have a seat

18. You obviously have no idea who I am...I am a God, one of many, we will meet...Trust me.

I'm privy to information that the feeble mind's of mortals can simply not comprehend in any measure.:cool:

19. No, youre an elistist dick head, putting yourself on a pedestal.

20. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. Are we so arrogant to think we really KNOW what happens when we die? And that goes for both sides....scientists thinking they know what happens to our energy, and christians thinking they KNOW they are saved and headed to heaven. Both are way too smug for me.