The "ICE" Controversy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 27, 2018.

1. #1 svedka, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Yes it could be argued that it's merely political rhetoric by the left dump ICE and perhaps it partly is but maybe not 100% the reason... This while right wingers defend the agency of course....
    This list may seem like an exaggeration of trumped up charges but anyone reading what goes on in so called sanctuary cities has heard of most of them i would wager or even know friends or co-workers affected.
    (no idea why some of the links have lines through them, at least on my laptop but appear to work anyway)
    -----

Right-wing media are defending ICE from calls to abolish the inhumane agency. Here are 30 examples of its abusive practices.

In reality, ICE terrorizes immigrant communities, tearing apart families and forcing immigrants to live lives of fear and instability. There are thousands of nightmarish stories about the consequences of ICE’s actions. Here are just some of the myriad abuses committed by the agency that right-wing media are scrambling to appease and defend:

• ICE has targeted people who report domestic abuse to U.S. authorities. On one occasion, the agency arrested a woman and her 16-year-old son as they arrived for the son’s testimony against his mother’s ex-fiance. Agents removed them from the courthouse, leaving behind the women’s 2-year-old son. Targeting people who report domestic abuse will inevitably lead to undocumented people foregoing reports of abuse altogether.

• Thousands of immigrants have reported experiencing sexual abuse while in detention, and half of those complaints have named ICE employees as abusers.

• The agency is trying to make it easier to detain pregnant immigrants, even though multiple pregnant people have suffered miscarriages after receiving insufficient care in ICE custody.
    • ICE has repeatedly taken caregivers away from children and sick people.
      • A California couple who died in a car crash while fleeing ICE agents left behind six children. Later, agents realized they been pursuing the wrong man. ICE then deported the children’s uncle, who had taken them in and has four kids of his own.

• In Michigan, a father who serves as the sole caregiver to his sick wife was forced to take refuge at a church after being targeted for deportation.

• ICE deported the “sole provider and trained medical caregiver of a 6-year-old paraplegic boy.”

• Children often end up in foster care after ICE deports their parents or guardians.
    • ICE routinely arrests and detains the most vulnerable.
      • A 10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy was on her way to a hospital in an ambulance to receive emergency gallbladder surgery when ICE officials apprehended her.

• Agents arrested a 28-year-old man with Down syndrome and held him away from his family.
    • ICE has been responsible for numerous deaths.
    • ICE has been accused of committing or allowing acts of violence and abuse.
      • When one man refused to enter an airport to be deported because he feared for his life if he returned to his native Central African Republic, agents allegedly struck him on the legs with a baton, cut his seat belt, and dragged him to his flight handcuffed to a wheelchair. (The airline refused to take him and he was returned to his cell.)

• In a 2017 lawsuit, Somali immigrants alleged that agents “kicked, punched, choked, and dragged” them down the aisles of a plane as they were being deported. (The plane never made it to Somalia and returned because of logistical problems.)

• A group of immigrants have claimed that while in ICE detention they were treated like "animal."

[*]ICE officers reportedly broke an immigration attorney’s foot and then detained her.

[*]ICE agents readily mock their terrified victims, and target their dissenters.

• In one instance, ICE agents arrested a DACA recipient and reportedly told her family that under Trump, DACA “doesn’t exist anymore.”

• During a raid on a San Francisco home, an agent mocked residents when they asked to see a warrant, telling them, “You’re watching too many movies.”

• ICE allegedly targets immigration activists, along with those who speak to the press. ICE has also detained a journalist who was arrested while he was doing his job.
      [*]ICE makes it impossible for immigrants to live stable or productive lives by targeting their jobs and other public places for raids.

• ICE agents reportedly ate breakfast at a Michigan restaurant before detaining three members of the staff.

• About 30 immigrants were forced to fearfully quit their jobs and lose their source of income after an ICE agent visited the restaurant where they worked and demanded to see employment eligibility forms.

• More than 500 students were kept home from school after ICE raided a Tennessee meatpacking plant and arrested nearly 100 people.

• Two men in New Jersey were arrested while dropping their children off at school, while a third man was able to avoid detention only by taking refuge in a church.

• ICE arrested a 48-year-old father of four, who had lived in the United states for 25 years, after he dropped his youngest daughter off at school. In a video of the arrest, his other daughter can be heard sobbing in the car.

• One man was detained by ICE after appearing at scheduled meeting with an immigration official to obtain a green card. His daughter noted that he “filed all the necessary paperwork, paid all the fees, hired a lawyer, did everything in his power to obtain lawful status and he was tricked and brought into the office and detained.” This is not the first time ICE has targeted people seeking legal status with immigration officials.

• ICE routinely makes arrests at courthouses, making it impossibly risky for immigrants to pursue legal problems, serve as witnesses, or answer warrants.

• ICE agents are reportedly interrogating worshippers as they go to church about their immigration status.
      [*]ICE has also been on the forefront of the Trump administration’s war against people seeking immigration and asylum at the southern border, aiding U.S. Customs and Border Patrol in the kidnapping and detention of children.

2. I think the Dems are in error to call for the abolition of ICE.
    Reform of the agency is greatly overdue, but the functions still are required.
    Outright removal is an idea that sounds too radical on the surface and almost is guaranteed to be met negatively without even understanding the goals.

:smoke:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mr Green, Our President has handed the whole immigration deal over to the law makers and they do nothing, why?
    If they have no ambition to change the law what good are they? People on both sides do nothing and the majority of us believe in following the law unless you count the lawless among us. All President Trump has to do is follow the law and he is golden.
    I don't even see the law makers trying to fix nothing with immigration. It blows my mind how they just blow us off about doing there job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. i agree but from where i sit is a very RADICAL period from the Right and ICE has been making a lot of radical not well thought out moves... DHS has been directing them i suppose, maybe they are the ones that need reform as well... after all they exist because of the so called "war on terrorism" yet i don't see any terrorists entering from Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, etc.. many appear to be seeking asylum legitimately.

of course i agree we can't have so called "open borders" i doubt there are many who agree with that even in the most leftist of the left circles yet the right would depict all libs, progressives, etc. as advocating for it... digressed, but yes reform is urgently needed.. abolish some of the not well thought out rash practices... imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thank you for posting this, yes it's common knowledge even by the left that huge numbers were deported on BO's watch. That's not the issue they have with ICE imo.

The issues it appears are the methods of apprehension and atrocities that came to light in 2017 on DT's watch.
    "Believe me", if ICE had been given the OK to do what they did on BO's watch we would have heard about it...
    Yes some parents were separated from children but i personally have not found evidence that ICE was doing this at the border as the entered the country. It was when they would grab the parents at their residence or pace of employment. Those having been here for years even decades.

In my mind there is a huge difference between the 2. Also the 29 other examples of why ICE is in the spotlight suddenly were not addressed by Snopes, only the numbers deported.

The "stable genius" & his supporters would like to make us believe that Obama and the Dems are for "open borders" while allowing all that are here to remain here... The Snopes article disproves that propaganda beautifully.

6. I have a feeling Ice is acting how the governors are allowing them to act. Cali says no, Oregon governor says one thing and does another, southern states are backwards anyway so who knows how they handling them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. #8 GorillaGherkin, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Obama boosted ice because he believed in big government his way of turning around the economy trump boosted ice to get everyone out that he thinks doesn’t belong but I honestly think there is something bigger happening that we won’t know about till the next president. Both sides work together on some issues.
    I have a hard time believing what is real and what isn’t due to the media. I was just down in Mexico and every person I was able to have a real conversation with was deported by obama years ago. I had no idea that he was deporting ppl Because it was done in secret, which made me look further into it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If only there was an ICE to prevent warmongering Americans leaving the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. I was aware of it the whole time BO was in office as well and that crossings were down as word got out... many left the US on their own accord due to it being more difficult to find work between the economic collapse that Geo W. created & Bill Clinton paved the way for (read created)...

Many Mexicans realized it was "no vale la pena" to risk paying coyotes from 5 to 10 thousand US dollars to enter only to not find work or be deported... Before 911 and the 2008 economic crash they could get in much easier for much less, around $3K. i met an old Mexican taxi driver years ago who said he once worked in Beverly Hills albeit at a restaurant low wage kitchen staff, but between rent and other bills he came back to Mexico on his own accord with no regrets... lol

10. I think it’s rediculous how it’s all being handled. I wish there was more honesty in politics and media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Not until we get corporate interests ($$$$$) out of both...

The cons want to privatize everything, big money in private prisons, also housing the immigrants in camps, tents, concentration camps, whatever you call them, big contracts big business... you see those of color without much money are worth nothing on the street but in confinement they generate big bucks... all taxpayer funded btw.

12. Yeah big prisons are supported in America for federal funding. I worry about the price of vegetables and fruit meat is already priced insanely high. There will be a lot of repercussions from all this that isn’t being discussed right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Reports of crops rotting in the field due to no labor to harvest them have been popping up since last year, not sure if true but by the time it is we will know by prices... add the tariff war and it's a double whammy...

So far the frozen Brussels sprouts i get for a buck a pound haven't gone up (imported from Belgium cheaper than i can find locally grown)...

14. Add importing Brussel sprouts from Belgium to your carbon footprint. Here's the true nature of those protesting ICE. They left this after ending their protest at ICE in Portland. They don't give two shits about the environment other than it's use as political fodder.
    Readers respond: ICE protesters should be ashamed of themselves
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. U sure that’s not just a pic of old town lots of areas look like that n Portland

16. Speaking of which and fits right into this topic imo is this little ditty that came out a few days ago...
    to be honest i didn't read the article in it's entirety but posting it for documentation & future reference.
    -----
    Detaining immigrant kids is now a billion-dollar industry

upload_2018-7-27_20-46-57.jpeg

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Detaining immigrant children has morphed into a surging industry in the U.S. that now reaps $1 billion annually — a tenfold increase over the past decade, an Associated Press analysis finds.

Health and Human Services grants for shelters, foster care and other child welfare services for detained unaccompanied and separated children soared from $74.5 million in 2007 to $958 million in 2017. The agency is also reviewing a new round of proposals amid a growing effort by the White House to keep immigrant children in government custody.

** Much more at link **
    Detaining immigrant kids is now a billion-dollar industry

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Funny how a problem can profit so much. I swear we create our own problems just to turn around and make a profit off of it. Kinda like drugs in America they support police, jails, prisons, welfare system, population control, hospitals etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I agree and also agree with the judge here...

Judge in migrant reunification case says government at fault for 'losing several hundred parents'

BY JOHN BOWDEN - 07/28/18 08:28 AM EDT

A federal judge commended the Trump administration on Friday for the progress made reuniting families separated by the Department of Homeland Security's zero-tolerance immigration policy, but blamed the the administration for losing track of some migrant parents.

U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw said that the Trump administration was "at fault" for deporting more than 400 parents while their children remained in custody, according to CBS News. "The government is at fault for losing several hundred parents in the process and that's where we go next" in the process, Sabraw said.

"Each (department) was like its own stovepipe, each had its own boss, and they did not communicate," he continued. "What was lost in the process was the family."

Sabraw faulted the government's lack of a plan to reunify families when the detainment program began as a key reason for the delay in family reunifications. The Trump administration faced Thursday a court order to reunify the remaining families.

Judge in migrant reunification case says government at fault for ‘losing several hundred parents’

19. Terrible strategy on the part of the American left, but terrible strategy has become the hallmark of that particular faction.
    Though I do enjoy the irony of seeing the same people who call for the abolition of one dept. after the other defend ICE.

Everyone's morality and political opinion is now entirely dictated by what Trump does or does not support

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1