The Hidden Power of our Brains Part IV

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Sep 16, 2006.

1. k, this might seem similar to the first two, but trust me, it's substantially different.

this builds on ideas expressed by hippies for decades ("hey man, i can't do it with all these negative bum vibes from that square."), by certain advanced corners of the spiritual movements/reawakenings, by quantum physicists/philosophers, by that chap who came up with hado, as is in "What the bleep do we know!?", by anyone else who has either happened across this, theorised/hypothesised/conceptualised it themselves.... etc.

the basic premis can be said thus:

your thoughts and brainwaves have an effect on your surroundings.

however exploring it further, this may seem factually inaccurate to someone who's lived with this for some time keeping an open mind as to the nature of "reality". or maybe it just doesnt express to what great an extent this is true and it's vital importance for humanity to understand at the moment.

you are building/shaping yourself, but so is everyone else. :):hello: :eek: :p :)

discuss.

2. Goood, good theme Digit.:)

I'd like to offer another thought about this to show how important consciousness is in terms of reality. From a purely neurological stance, humans are a little like TV cameras, what we're actually seeing when we look around ourselves is not the true outside reality, but a representation of it that our brains have created for us. We're viewing reality internally, on our minds TV screen, we're not seeing the actual world outside, but a picture of it in our brain. What we see on this screen also lags behind what's happening in the 'real world' by (roughly, I read this is some time ago) a sixteenth of a second.

Reality in a sense is 'reflected' in the brain. Sometimes that reflection can be altered by the brain, sometimes the brain is altered by the reflection.

You might think that although what we see is just a representation of reality, there must still be an objective reality that gives rise to the representation - but what it is may not really be the solid, real reality that most people think. I wont bore you with the whole quantum reality thing, it's been talked about here before at length, but we know now that reality is a construct of probability, not solid matter. There are no little solar systems inside atoms making up particles, but wave forms that collapse into particular states of 'here-ness', sometimes purely by observing them.

Digit's question isn't just about metaphysics any more, consciousness and reality are inextricably intertwined.

Finally, do you kow how hard it is to spell 'inexplicably' when you're mashed?:)

MelT

3. I was actually thinking alot about this last night. But I started to think that instead of your brain just effecting your surroundings... your brain actually creates them. I read this great article the other day about how the brain could misplace the body and become completely convinced that it was something else, this lady thought her arm that became paralyzed was actually her sons arm, even though her son was no where near her. There is a special term for this condition but I forgot what it was. my bad. But after reading that article I started thinking about some other stuff.

If your surroundings are all just a function of your brain, which it would seem so, then I think its crazy that almost everyone shares the same view of reality. Like why is it that almost everybody thinks a tree is a tree? and are there exceptions to this? Are there people that share no common view of reality with the rest of us?

And the tv camera is a pretty good explanation but It seems more like our eyes are the cameras and our brain automatically edits the footage, While a tv camera does not.

4. We definately create a reality in your brain as well. I know this undoubtably due to the effects of various substances such as psylocybin and divinorum A. How if when you close your eyes, can your mind even dream of such crazy dreams, the things you see when on these drugs.

Think about it man! Of course the reality in your brain is fucked up during these times but the point is that it is still there to mess with! There must be some kind of normality goin on in there when you don't even know about it!

Thanks Hallucenogenics!

5. And the tv camera is a pretty good explanation but It seems more like our eyes are the cameras and our brain automatically edits the footage, While a tv camera does not.[/quote]

Yes, very good point. Our brains give us the edited highlights of what it perceives of reality.

MelT

6. seems more like a product of "education" and "training" to create this concensus.

on "What the bleep do we know" the spiritual leader in the group of experts had quite a convincing way of putting the analogy. our eyes=the lense, our brain=the tape in the back recording the sequence. and she went on to explain the objectivity of the camera.

but as for our brains projecting... and effecting not just the reality "inside" our lense/tape in a feedback loop, but also, the "outside" "some kind of normality"...

quantum experimenters were perhaps the first to come across this, as they were measureing on such small scales that the slightest changes would effect outcomes of experiments. for examply, i hypothesise that if you watched the experiment with an expectation, that expectation would colour the outcome. thus, our thoughts create the universe! ... hence the "in own image" as we are creators... just like those who say, "man created god".