The government is paying for up to 93% of the cost to put solar on your home

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NasaJoe, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Unique opportunities in california allow for customers to fully own solar electric systems with the state and federal government footing up to 93% off the final cost of the system. It's the perfect storm of state and federal incentives leveraged with unique financing.

I just got finished bidding a solar electric system for a customer. If no state or federal incentives existed, the cost to the customer would have been ~$62,000.

After state incentives, federal incentives, as well as federal tax incentives leveraged, the final cost the the customer for that $62,000 system was only $5,215.

These solar leases have just recently become available as of a few weeks ago, and the MARCS accelerated depreciation that allows for the extremely low cost will expire mid 2012 so it won't be this cheap forever..

Pretty crazy huh? I know telling you guys this is like adding fodder to the anti-green subsidy / archo-capitalism fire.. But hey, at least the money isnt going to wars right?

2. So what companies are benefiting from these subsidies?

3. Cleverly titled, "government" should read "tax payers". ;)

4. A ton of solar companies, all the way from small mom and pops to larger international module manufacturers.. There's way too much incentive right now and there's a cash grab going on in the CA PV (photovoltaic industry) industry right now..

5. got a link?

i'd love to let them give me some of my money back :)

6. #6 NasaJoe, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    Couldn't agree more, but still fractions compared to these stupid wars. I'm not attempting to justify the huge incentives, but it really goes to show you how much people at home can benefit from receiving government stimulus. Makes me wonder how much profit is being made overseas.. Which is probably why its so damn difficult to get our troops back home.

7. Why is this only for cali if the feds are paying? I fucking want this deal.

8. There's really no reason you couldn't take advantage of something similar to this in other states. Here in California we have state incentives which also help lower the cost, but the state incentives here have been mostly used up since the incentive program started back in 2007. After the state incentives expire completely, the federal government will still pay for around 60% of that original $62,000 which is still a pretty sweet deal.

We have expensive electricity in California so that helps with the payback also..

9. Because it's a lot of money.... If this was done nation wide it would probably cost as much as the Iraq war.
    -------
    Also to people thinking that you are getting this for such a huge deal, not really. You paid for it already, just long ago :)

10. My friend is a big solar and rain water nut..... Almost all of his houses water supply comes from run off catches.... his houses always looks like its under construction because of all the solar panels and whatnot.

11. This politics forum is depressing man...

U guys should try to get out of your houses and enjoy being American rather than bitching about it all the time. :D

Its really not as bad as u guys make it seam.

12. And its really not as good as you make it seem.;):wave:

13. A cry baby will be a cry baby no matter how good or bad things are. :D

14. It's as good as you make it seem

15. Generally when I leave the house it's to do what I can to make it a better place.
    We live in "what is" but we work for "what it should be"

16. #16 HongKongPhooey, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    I honestly don't know what there is to enjoy about being American.

Yaaaay today we killed more innocent brown people and lost more rights to our forever increasing police state government woohoo!!:hello:

There is that happy enough for you?

Anyway, I'm gonna go to Cali and buy some of that solar power. That way when the shit goes down I can escape out to the woods and grow some budz.:smoke:

17. how many solar panels to run 3000 watts of high pressure sodium, and 12,000 BTU AC?

is this only for cali residents?

it would be cool to grow some solar weed on the govt's dime.

18. Better to get something than nothing.

19. I'm not sure if this is how it works NasaJoe but wouldnt the customer still have to pay that 62 grand for the solar cells, he'd just recoup it on his/her taxes. I dont like it when people say that something only cost 5 dollars when it really costs 50 and you'll get the other 45 dollars later. It's not 5 dollars it's 50 dollars. No beef with you it's just how people phrase things to make it seem better.

20. True that, I'm jealous of your guys though.
    Won't have to pay electricity bills again, and your getting clean energy.