The Garden of Weeden

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Trueblade, Oct 29, 2010.

1. I think many of us dream of doing it. Sure, mostly when we're young and the world is an endless and mysterious place. For people like myself, however, the wanderlust never really dies down. Ever since I was a teenager I've wanted to pack a bag and hit the open road. It's illogical, it's reckless, it's dangerous, and it would be incredibly difficult to pull it off.
    Some people never apease this aspiration because life takes them away from it, further and further. School, jobs, wife, kids, family, obligations, responsibility. I've bounced back and forth between some of them myself, in fact. Yet, life has a way of spiraling me back towards the begining. Rather, I have a way of spinning my life back towards the begining.
    Now is the time. I have no real obligations. There are things that I "should" do, or "could" do, and even "would like" to do, but I think I'm in the perfect position right now to just leap off foolishly and hit the open road.

On November 2nd, Proposal 19 is on the ballot in California. There is strong evidence that it stands a solid shot and passing. When/if it passes, I see a whole boom of culture, community, business, creative thinking and aspirations, and potentially a general overall "well being" throughout the state of California. When/if it passes on the 2nd, I will be leaving Detroit, Michigan on foot, and travelling the 2300+ miles to california by the means we're ultimately intended to migrate by. Walking.

I may hitchhike a few rides here and there, during particularly cold days, or long dry stretches of road, but mostly I intend to simply walk. Due to past backpacking experience, and military training, I know that I can hike out 20-30 miles on a good day. Granted, at the cost of becoming extremely tired, beaten up, and sore. Realistically, my goal is to average at least 10 miles a day.

I will be chronicling the entire journey, through a combination of typed and handwritten word, pictures of sights that I see, and even Video, or Vlogs as battery life and recharging locations permit. I will also attempt to include my insights and philosophies on the triumphs and hardships that I endure.

In preparation for this event, I will be spending roughly $1000 on intial gear. I will be travelling relatively light, geared more for a few weeks in the woods, than an actual hitchhiking trip. It's feasible to go coast to coast via thumb in only a few days, but I fully believe and even intend to spend sometimes that many days in between towns.

As I get closer to departure, I will include a packing list, and try to go over all the intial things that I do to get me started on this journey. I will of course probably eat a solid breakfast the day that I leave, shower, shave, dress in clean clothing, and so on. Again I do have some hitchhiking experience, as well as some survivalist experience, but have never done ANYTHING like what I'm about to do. Just to reach the border of California alone will require 2000 miles of travelling. By foot, that could take six or seven months if I stay on a steady pace, suffer no injuries, and do not die....

The trip has many purposes. Oddly, the most core purpose is simply that I actually have reached a point in my life where I have absolutely nothing better to do. Secondly, I want to be somewhere that I can procure dank weed on a moments notice. Thirdly, I've let my health go horribly astray in the last several years. I will be the first one to tell you that I am both an alcoholic, and a heavy cigarette smoker.

With my first step on this trip comes my last drink (In theory, forever). I will carry cigarettes with me, but will make an effort to stop within the first week or two of my trip. Marijuana I will smoke when it becomes avaliable, which may be commonly, and might be very infrequently. Due to laws, and the dangers of being searched by police on the side of the road, I won't be carrying any Mary-Jane with me. At least, not unless I find a place where it will be legal, which hopefully will be California here in a few days.

Start Point: Detroit Michigan
    End Point: Somewhere in California.
    Distance: 2300+ miles
    Health: Generally good. Not overweight, capable of extended physical activity. No notable allergies, illness, or current injuries.
    Finances: Tenatively, $2-3000 dollars, after purchasing gear.
    I've worked out a tenative packing list. My goal is to go light, but carry enough to survive 3-4 days without civilization.

Clothing:
    1) Pair of polypropeline or thermal undergarments, shirt and pants
    2) Socks. Thick wool, and thinner moisture wicking.
    3) Undergarments. 2 t-shirts, 2 boxers.
    4) Comfortable walking/cargo pants. Neutral color. Darker to hide dirt, lighter to keep me from looking suspicious.
    5) Long sleeve shirt
    6) Hoodie, oversized, neutral colored, college sports themed. Rather have people think I'm a college kid, than a car jacker or something.
    7) Wind breaker/jacket
    8) Baseball style cap.
    9) Sun glasses
    10) Gloves, Face Wrap
    11) Poncho, full body, large enough to cover pack too.
    12) Boots. And a rubber pair of crocs. Very important to have crocks for crossing water, or lounging after a long walk.

Notice, that even though it is going into winter, I do not have a heavy jacket. I believe layering is generally the best way to go. If my ensemble becomes inaququet I can adjust as I go. While moving briskly, the above attire should suffice throughout the days until at least December.

1) Solid hiking pack. I want something medium-large size, waterproof.
    2) Compass. Map too, will have to purchase or print them along the way
    3) Water bladder, 3 liters
    4) Water container, 1 liter
    5) Water purifier, and water purification tablets. Tap water is the best source of refill, but just in case.
    6) Headlamp. And a lythium batter flashlight.
    7) A couple of lighters
    8) Knife and a multi-tool
    9) Emergency first aid kit
    10) Sunscreen, Bug spray
    11) Nylon cord, and Duct Tape
    12) Toiletries, to include paper, razer, shaving cream, toothbrush, etc.
    13) Laptop, Pens, Paper, IPOD, Reading Book, etc.
    14) Camera, Binoculars, small AM/FM radio for local weather reports/boredom
    15) Small 1 person tent, dark colored
    16) Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad
    17) Dry rations (Jerkey, trail mix, dried fruit, and so on)

And so on.... That's just a tenative list. I'll be browsing online packing lists for the next few days, and calculating what I will need, what I won't need, what I would like, and what is just excess weight and useless.
    I have tracked a route that avoids major highways. This will impair me when it comes to getting rides, but will make for what I believe is more fullfilling walking time. As a rule of thumb, there are small towns dotted all along my course, and I shouldn't hit too many stretches that are more than 10 miles without a town. My route bypasses a few major cities, but doesn't go through any of them. Cities are a hassle to walk around with a ruck sack on your back, and even harder to get a ride. Following side roads however, I will probably find a lot of short haul rides (10-20 miles), but I won't find many long haul opportunities. This is fine, considering my goal is to walk at least half of the distance, if not more.

I will utilize whatever resources I can find to get more food, water, a shower, clean clothing, and so on. I'm pretty crafty, and I know a lot of the larger cities have programs and support for "transient" people. In the small towns I may have to pay my way, so I'll have to be both very frugal with my money, and possibly will eventually need to find ways to make money along the way.

This trip is entirely self sufficient. Unless I get injured, eaten by a mountain lion, or simply can't hack it for whatever reason, my last resort will be to catch a greyhound bus back home. I fully do not intend to let that happen.

Before I leave I'll post some blogs, a detailed outline of my plan, packing lists, and so on. I've never made a Vlog, but I will try to post one of those too before I begin this journey.

When I'm on the road, updates may be sparodic or infrequent, but I will be making an effort to take pictures every day, create a video every day, and write (Either on the computer, or on paper) every day. I'll have to use resources like libraries, Wifi hotspots, hotel internet, and so on in order to post followups, but I will try to update at least once a week. Again, this depends on where I am, and what kind of resources I have avaliable.

When it passes, wish me luck on my trip to the "Garden of Weeden"

2. Damn dude, I am truly envious. I think I like you appalachian trail idea better, but this sounds like an amazing adventure as well. I really wish I could join you.

Im in almost the same boat as you, except I am still in the military. I am going to ETS in February 2012. I know what its like to travel under a heavy ruck. I have no big commitments or any financial obligations to hold me back. Right now the only thing holding me from doing something like this is the army. Cant wait to get out so I can find an adventure and enjoy life more too! What service were you in?

Also, cant wait to smoke after 6 years of being military!!

3. When you get out, look me up. I'll try to stay on GC through it all.

4. Hey, just food for thought... if marajuana is legalized, why not go to California and hike the Pacific Crest Trail? Its like 2600 miles from the Mexican border all the way up to Canada. If legal, would be really easy to get some herb throughout the trip. Lol, that would probably be easy anyways since its California.

5. That's too far ahead to contemplate. :)

I do intend to hike up and down CA though.

6. Its pretty damn far for a hike! like 2600 miles. But if you think about it, its only 500 miles longer than the appalachian trail.

Ive pretty recently become interested in both of these hikes. I have a good year to plan. Right now Im in Iraq, and as soon as I get home Im going to start buying 1 or 2 pieces of the expensive gear a month. Like, a tent and sleeping bag one month, and then water filter and boots the next... backpack, rain gear.... ect.

I guess tomorrow we will find out whats up with prop 19. Pretty stoked for the news. If it passes, that may have a pretty big influence on whether I hike the Appalachians of the Pacific Crest Trail.

Keep us updated on your plans. Im pretty interested to hear how your trek starts for you. I imagine it might be pretty brutal if you set out in winter. Crazier things have been done.

7. sonow what? prop 19 was turned down..

8. #8 Trueblade, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
    Funny you should ask.

I'm going "shopping" tomorrow for my final gear. I've debated the last week or so if I still wanted to do it, and I've decided I still feel like I should.

Tomorrow I will be purchasing my primary gear, prepping it, and will either take pictures of my gear (It's going to be some pretty elite shit....I'll probably get robbed in my first half a day, lol), or Vlog it.

I intend to hit the road either Tuesday or Wednesday, and will update weekly. I'll make an online Blog/vlog channel somewhere, where I can post pictures, video, and rants about the trip.

I'm not very proactive on it right now, because...well, I'm taking care of other business, but once I hit the road I'll be recording updates daily. I might not always have the opportunity to upload them in a timely fashion, but I'm pretty savy. I'll figure something out.

It's going to be rough at first since it's Winter, and the first leg of my trip is through the North, but I've done some crazier shit (Albiet, not for as long as this will take). My proposed route will take me across the midwest, through Colorado, Arizona, and into Southern California. It will probably be cold until I get to Arizona...or until Spring, whichever comes first.

A straigt hike would take an average of 250+ days, if absolutely nothing goes wrong. I'm sure I'll bite my pride from time to time and catch a ride for some of the rougher parts of it though. I don't intend to long haul any of it though (Ie catch a ride with a trucker going 500 miles).

I'm hoping to reach California by late spring, early summer. While the freezing ass cold of the first part of the trip will blow donkey balls, arriving in So Cal in time for summer should be pretty rewarding.

Then, I just gotta find someone to buy my chronic off of :)

9. You need to consider weight. I hike with a 10kg base weight (thats my gear excluding food, water and fuel) and I would not want to travel with a much heavier pack.

Have you considered sleeping under a tarp rather than a full tent? If you have military poncho you can even use that. I've used mine a few times and it works okay. I have a 58 pattern british one tho with popstuds so I could clip two together if needs be. Or if you're stealth camping how about a bivvy bag? That plus a poncho tarp if the weather is bad is a flexible and lightweight combo and a lot more discrete than a tent.

That laptop is going to add a good bit of weight too. Definately need it? I take a book and a journal. I think if I were going long term I'd do the same but post the book home when I finish and have a friend or family post another book out to me. Do you really need binoculars? Ultimately its your choice what you bring but remember you're the one humping it. Cut back to the essentials and try and make it lightweight ones and you'll be able to cover more miles per day more comfortably. Plus having less expensive gear theres less to worry about.

I'd suggest buying some surplus base layers too. I use ex British army breathable teeshirts (like 6 pairs for a fiver) whilst hiking I know the US army use very similar ones. I have ex Dutch army wool longjohns for when its cold which cost the fraction of the price of the 'premium' merino wool ones. A wool hat is good too especially if its wet because it'll still insulate you when it gets soaked.

For layering clothing you're right you don't need a heavy coat. Personally I use: wicking teeshirt > microfleece > hoody > down body warmer > shell jacket. The down body warmer I got on sale and is freakin awesome. I use it as a quilt when I'm in my sleeping bag too and packs up real small and weighs nothing.

Shouldn't need a water bladder IMO, old pop bottles are the best cos they're light and cheap. Unless you really need a hydration bladder theyre the way to go.

I'd suggest getting some dry bags. One for your sleeping bag (especially if you have a down bag) and one for your change of clothes at a minimum. Nothing worse than being caught in a downpour and having all your gear wet as well as yourself.

And how about a stove? A small coleman one is flexible but a little lightweight alcohol stove might be more suited to what you're trying to do. Aluminium cookware is a good compromise - cheaper than Ti with better heat distribution but a lot lighter than stainless steel. I use an aluminium canteen and a steel mug (tho I quite like those Ti mugs, if a bit expensive )

For cordage 550 paracord does the trick but if space is at a premium I suggest dyneema braid. I use 3mm for my tarp ridgeline and 2mm for tieouts. Plenty strong enough for most uses as its designed as sailing rigging IIRC

What knife are you taking? I'd suggest a small (3-4") fixed blade, and a small (DC3 maybe?) sharpening stone, as it'll allow you to use it both for food prep and for camp chores. Other random bits to consider would be firelighting gear (even if it's just firelighters in a tin with the knife), personal sanitation (soap, small vials of shampoo or the mini thingies of toothpaste, micro towels)