The future of the medical marijuana industry?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by leonidas5869, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Read this article link below and see the big picture, it's not good in my opinion!

Oakland to License, Tax Indoor Marijuana Growers | Cannabis As Medicine

My opinion: [​IMG][​IMG]

If you read this article you can clearly get a grasp of where this medical marijuana industry may be going. Most laws made have never been for the people, but to control them!

In my mind I see a monopoly of big business and corporations growing all the medical marijuana for all the California collectives and their patients in turn controlling the industry just like the pharmaceutical industry.

These 100,000 sq ft facilities (discussed in the article), can not only provide to basically all the collectives but also any strain needed or specifically asked or ordered by a collective through a organized computer database. Small growers will have no place in this reality.

You see, this is where the thousands of dollars worth of forms and applications growers will need to be in compliance with future state laws, keeping small grows out of the picture.

The owner "Lee" from Oaksterdam university is just one of the men trying to make this crap happen. It isn't about the right for people to legally have medical marijuana it's really about money and power over a new industry. The little people always lose!

Whats your opinion on the future of this industry?:eek:

2. This article is a bit old.

I mean come on...if it ever gets legalized, I imagine this
    is how it would go down. We already know that the state
    (at least here in CO) love the money from the applications,
    the taxes for the clinics. For fuck sake, with the new laws
    wrote in this past Aug in CO, every clinic owner had to pay
    a 5,000 dollar state licensing fee and that's just one fee.

The simple fact is this, people are either going to run to the
    corp. for a cheaper product, or they're going to go pay a
    little extra for real quality bud from your "mom and pop" grows.

I honestly think it's in the consumers hands on where the
    medical industry will go. Only time will tell....I can tell you one
    thing though, I sure as hell won't be buying from anyone other
    than my caregiver.

3. I just don't want marijuana to turn into the next tobacco. I don't want big, greedy, corporate fat cats putting rat poison and octopus shit in my weed. I want pure, natural cannabis from a good-hearted, genuine small business owner.

4. The government already has patented Medical Marijuana, so I would presume it will be like the tobacco industry. What gives them the right to patent it anyways?:smoke:

5. I think it will be so regulated the only caregivers will be pharmacies. Not trying to be a downer, just seeing it as I see it. Who knows what will happen.

6. My opinion, which I admittedly have no real facts to support:

Cannabis will never be the next tobacco because tobacco can only be grown economically on a huge scale, not for personal use. That is, a pack a day smoker would need tobacco field that would be too large to fit within a city- or suburb-dweller's home and property. A marijuana user (or, since you're talking medical, patient) could easily grow all that the themselves would ever need within a large closet. There will never be a day when people don't just grow it themselves, in secret if necessary, so the government will never be able to maintain much control over cannabis.

They can tax it out the ass, make you go through hoops to get licenses for use, whatever, but there will always be people who will just grow it themselves to avoid all that hassle. Shit, there are still people who make moonshine, and alcohol is completely legal and available cheaply. They just want to do it themselves, and they get away with it.

This is not a secret, and would inevitably be discussed in any debate regarding legalization. This means that any bill regarding legalization will acknowledge the excessive potential for abuse in a government-controlled cannabis industry. They would either pass a bill which would grant full legalization (including personal pot gardens) or they won't pass one at all.

However, the growing movements to support medical usage and full-on legalization means they are likely to, eventually, legalize it.

I hope :smoke:.